Note to New Members ×

Can U Break An Ankle In Hard Boots ?

SteveInOregon

I only ask because I think I did today at Shasta.:(

I was just cruzing not doing anything, I was coming up on some Newb's, I did a typical lazy heel slide to slow down from about 15 mph to about 10 or less, the nose hooked a ski rut and slammed to a jerking stop , my lead foot also jammed to an abrupt stop the board and all jerked sideways and down I went in real pain.

I felt a crunch in my ankle kind of like jumping off a high ladder into the pavement strait into the feet with the ankle being the weak link.

I was in immediate real pain, I got my boot off ( no small feat ) writhed around in agony in 3ft off piste for a minuet then packed it down into the snow and sat there and tried to "look casual" ( I didn't work ) :freak3:

I tried to get up and put weight on it NO WAY feelt like the worst sprain I have ever had or a fracture ?????? :confused:

I had to take the Red + slide ride out to the "break & snap shack", lol.

So that's not a big deal, I'm already home a couple beers down, a pump up splint boot I picked up at a thrift store on the way back, a Tylenol-Codine and I'm ok, "BUT" what the hell gives , can you really break an ankle in a good fitting hard boot with no lateral bending :eek:. ??????

I thought I had all the bases covered, and one of them was hard boots :cool:

Anyone experience a jammed, severe sprain or fracture wearing H-boots ?

I did 2 seasons ago. Not cool. I wish you a speed recovery!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY REPLY: You broke Your ankle in hard boots !!!!!!!!! * sigh.

You guys also say you have seen it happen, ohhhh geeeez, oh well, thanks for answering my question.

Just before I did this trick, I was just a little tired and sore from chasing a looser with a laser on Thurs night, then 5 hours of riding Shasta today, I was being Mr Nice guy, not bombing the run and DAM, of all the things to happen, lol.

By hook or crook I will "hobble" out to Bachelor for my 1st OES in ealry march.

I am so000000 jones'ing to see a gang of real carvers, ride real groom ( not the death ride-ice ruts I always ride ), "and" take a private carving -coaching lesson.

Do you guys know how bad I got it >>>> my p.c desk top is the trail map of Bachelor, that is how much I am want to be a OES.

Thanks again answering my question, Im starting to smile again my 2nd T with Codine is kickin in , lol .:):p

I bet Fibula. Get an Xray. Best way to know for sure.

My GF is 7 weeks out from one, a plate and 2 screws later, she is OK.

Hope for the best, atleast it isn't "serious" as an injury.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to hear that man, pins & screws can be devastating.

As for me, So I don't think this is "serious", I know for sure its not a Tib or Fib , its down in the articulating joint area.

Again , sorry to hear she is gonna always set off metal detectors.

A tib/fib can spiral down into the ankle knob. Count on it.

I've done it twice. In hard boots.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My REPLY: >>>> "DAM" <<<<<<

A few questions;

1) Was it the same ankle> twice ?

2) Were you in a hard cast, and how long ?

3) How long till you could boot up again ?

Thank You

If you got the coverage, check it...if not, keep off it, ice it for the 1st 48/72hours and then soak it in a healing bath of Epsom salts. That will draw out the bruising and hopefully that is all it is. I watched my calf bend around a tree the wrong way, and was sure it was broke off at the boot-top, but after a month of rehab, and watching my leg turn every color under the rainbow, I was able to walk again, and rode later that year, and I'm sure I broke something, I just didn't have the scratch to see the pro's...it was nearly 2 years before I got on the hard-boots again though, but that was by choice...

So get healed, and keep the alcohol intake down, as it promotes swelling and reduces the body's ability to heal...and maybe I'll see you at Bach, when is it?

Severe sprain - check. Broke my boot shell while I was at it. I thought for sure I had broken it at the time, it hurt like hell.

In 1991 at Copper. Nearly turned my foot all the way around in a Flexon Comp.Broke the cuff right down the back seam.Pain was enough to make me throw up right there under the lift:0

In hard boots. Un hooked the rear binding because it hurt like crazy. Then I treid to step in again but it hurt too much. It turned out to be a broken medial malleolus, the inside of the ankle.

I am in a hard cast and it comes off on March 2nd. The doc said two weeks of PT. It has pretty much stopped hurting.

The first couple of days to a week it really helped to keep it up as high as possible to stop the swelling. If its broken, caffeine and nicotine slow healing by constricting blood vessels.

I was told to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 6 hours to reduce swelling.

If you can you should get it looked at.

How is it feeling now?

Also look at this thread:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6311

Feel better!

1) one of each

2)hard cast for 6-8 weeks is all

3)Both end of the season deals but I was crutchless in a coupla months, 80% in 3-4 months and all better in maybe 8. Honestly a spiral heals stronger than before the break. My first break I was in my late 20's and I bounced right back.

The second time in my late 30's left me with a little loss of motion in the ankle, be sure to do the PT!

If you got the coverage, check it...if not, keep off it, ice it for the 1st 48/72hours and then soak it in a healing bath of Epsom salts. That will draw out the bruising and hopefully that is all it is. I watched my calf bend around a tree the wrong way, and was sure it was broke off at the boot-top, but after a month of rehab, and watching my leg turn every color under the rainbow, I was able to walk again, and rode later that year, and I'm sure I broke something, I just didn't have the scratch to see the pro's...it was nearly 2 years before I got on the hard-boots again though, but that was by choice...

So get healed, and keep the alcohol intake down, as it promotes swelling and reduces the body's ability to heal...and maybe I'll see you at Bach, when is it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY REPLY: Ok, I will ice it for 72hrs, I have had it almost frozen since 2pm.

I am going to Bach regardless, I will be a camera man for anyone who wants to be on Youtube if nothing else.;)

I will take Your advice and stop the beer, well how about a 1 week hiatus because my Douoble IPA home brew will be ready to de-cap and taste by then :biggthump

In hard boots. Un hooked the rear binding because it hurt like crazy. Then I treid to step in again but it hurt too much. It turned out to be a broken medial malleolus, the inside of the ankle.

I am in a hard cast and it comes off on March 2nd. The doc said two weeks of PT. It has pretty much stopped hurting.

The first couple of days to a week it really helped to keep it up as high as possible to stop the swelling. If its broken, caffeine and nicotine slow healing by constricting blood vessels.

I was told to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 6 hours to reduce swelling.

If you can you should get it looked at.

How is it feeling now?

Also look at this thread:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6311

Feel better!

MY REPLY: Thank You too for the real life advice, so You and I are now left to only riding the "message" boards too , lol ;).

I don't smoke and I'm not much for coffee ( unless it's Kona or Kauai pea berry, ground 1 cup @ a time ) and I cant afford that very often.

See StarBucks reaction > :barf:

No can do on the Ibuprofen because I literally eat a hole in my stomach last year from dealing with my "lady friends" female illogical retorts and mood based mind games ( See pissed off un-happy face > :argue: = Steve>:mad: lol. ( no dis on the ladies here ) this was "my" problem by not dealing with her with patients and firm understanding, so I gave myself an ulcer ( way to go Steve , thank me thank me very much , lol )

I feel fine so long as I don't move, lol, I know that doesn't say much but there was zero swelling, I mean none at all, so I hope I am just a sissy with a sprain , I will take that over a tuff guy with a fracture any day , lol.

In 1991 at Copper. Nearly turned my foot all the way around in a Flexon Comp.Broke the cuff right down the back seam.Pain was enough to make me throw up right there under the lift:0

MY REPLY: "Flexon Comp" what is that, if that ain't a binding then its a torture technique or an Olympic ski jump trick . lol .

I'm good at not puking "unless" I am on a diesel fishing boat , what with exhaust fumes , the constant engine vibration, the rolling swell, the smell of bacon from the galley, cheep cigars, & rotting fish>>>

.>>>:barf:

1) one of each

2)hard cast for 6-8 weeks is all

3)Both end of the season deals but I was crutchless in a coupla months, 80% in 3-4 months and all better in maybe 8. Honestly a spiral heals stronger than before the break. My first break I was in my late 20's and I bounced right back.

The second time in my late 30's left me with a little loss of motion in the ankle, be sure to do the PT!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be sure to ask you about PT when I can gimp around, thank You for the reply to my questions.;)

I hope I am just a sissy with a sprain

That is exactly what I was thinking on the sled ride down to the ski patrol hut!

I hope that's all you have! This cast really sucks! Really inconvenient.

post-8010-141842304454_thumb.jpg

That is exactly what I was thinking on the sled ride down to the ski patrol hut!

I hope that's all you have! This cast really sucks! Really inconvenient.

add

MY REPLY: That's a nice family You got there, Momma board, Daddy board, baby board and uncle crutches. :biggthump

Sorry to hear about the break Steve. Let it heal and come back charging!

I broke my ankle in hard boots years and years ago at Nakiska at a race. I was doing some carving between my runs on an unfamiliar trail. i was in the middle of a carve and the hill had a sudden steep drop. i lost contact with the ground and flew through the air sideways, tumbled a bit and ended up in some trees with a broken ankle, broken binding and cuts on my face and arm. it can be done. In fact, if something clumsy and painful can be done I have probably done it! :D