Note to New Members ×

TD 3 SIs: Look right?

Zcarver

I finally decided to go with the TD 3 SIs after my 4th TD 1 bail break and 12 overall. This is the first time I am going to use SI Bindings. Definitely a huge improvement in design over the TD 1.

I also bought the Fin Tec Heels for the boots. For those who are familiar with the SIs, can you please look at the pictures to be sure I have this set correctly.

I was a little concerned with the 2 mm gap I saw (3rd pic) when the heel is seated inside the receiver. While the Boot feels snug into place, there is some sideways movement because of the gap. Is this normal? I hope I don't rip out of the receiver.

Thank you for your time. I am hoping to test them next week.

zCarver

post-386-141842303986_thumb.jpg

post-386-14184230399_thumb.jpg

post-386-141842303993_thumb.jpg

The side-to-side gap is normal. If the binding is adjusted properly with the forward pins of the heels resting on the ramp of the heel receiver, you will not get any side-to-side movement when you are actually in the binding. The main pins of the heels should be set towards the back of the holes in the heel receiver, hard to tell in the pics but I think you have that right too. Looks good.

I am seeing the same gap, or even bigger. I have ridden several days now and they are working, but it is still nagging in the back of my mind. The outer pin (toward the tip or tail) on both boots has significantly less engagement than the inner. The pin barely penetrates the hole. See pic #1. Intec/TD1 did not have this issue. So, I don't have an answer for you, but I am seeing the same thing.

post-8629-141842303998_thumb.jpg

post-8629-141842304001_thumb.jpg

Wow. The right pin look like it's barely grabbing on yours. That's what I am worry about. How much meat of the pin is grabbing the slot of the receiver.

It seems the pins could of been a little longer or the width of the receiver smaller. I'm concerned when the boot start turning on an angle inside the receiver when riding.

Wow. The right pin look like it's barely grabbing on yours. That's what I am worry about. How much meat of the pin is grabbing the slot of the receiver.

It seems the pins could of been a little longer or the width of the receiver smaller. I'm concerned when the boot start turning on an angle inside the receiver when riding.

It's penetrating just beyond the beveled part of the pin. The fintecs seem to be the same dimension as intecs. But the heel receivers seem to be a bit wider than the old aluminum ones. I'll send an email to Michelle and ask her to review this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some follow up pictures after about ten days of riding.

Is anyone else seeing this kind of wear on their heels? I'm not consious of any side-to-side movement while I am riding, but the pins have developed flat spots, and there is obvious wear on the heel itself between the guide pin and the retracting pin. There is also a divot on the heel receiver, but I forgot to take a picture of that. Is this normal?

post-8629-141842306972_thumb.jpg

post-8629-141842306975_thumb.jpg