Note to New Members ×

Pulled insert

DjulezD

While removing the bindings from my board today, I noticed that one of the inserts got stuck to the plate. It seems dry and pretty recent. Don't know how it happened since I didn't charge much recently but still.

Now, can this be repaired easily in an average ski shop or should I go higher ?

Dingbat: yes the whole insert pulled out. It was actually stuck to the center disk of the binding (snowpro).

There is a small bump around the insert hole, but no real crack or delamination (see picture).

I was planning to take the board on a trip next week, hence the question. Is repairing this something an average ski shop can take care of ?

post-7646-141842303982_thumb.jpg

Additional pictures below.

Dingbat, after some research, I realize I completely missed your question.

Only the thread pulled out and only the topsheet has been lifted. The inner core remains intact. It should mean that the insert broke itself at the base.

It's so puzzling that it happened after a very mild session. And I don't overscrew the bindings or stuff like that. The only inhabitual thing that comes to my mind is the following: I have this double washer system where you can attach the leach cord (snowpro) and I usually attach the part of the leach that straps around the leg to the rear binding to carry my board around on the shoulder. At some point there where some heavy gusts of wind (above 30km/h) and I almost lost my balance because of one.

Reading the technical stuff about the load insert can sustain, I don't think this explanation as valid, but I am not a scientist.

Any opinion out there on this ? Is it as unusual as it seems to me ?

I am also looking into repair. Any advice welcome on this, too ?

post-7646-141842304589_thumb.jpg

post-7646-141842304592_thumb.jpg

you might be able to T-nut the insert from the buttom. I've done this on a Madd with stripped brass inserts. I'll try to post a pic tonight of the end result. I left about an 1/8th of an inch for some marine apoxy and glued some base material from www.snowbaordmaterials.com. I had SkiMD do a base grind for me and the end result is rather good.

In 22 years of making snowboards, I have never seen an insert like that. It would appear that they are simply soldering a nut to a plate. It's quite brilliant, but obviously has some issues. I can't tell who made the board, but would consider it a warranty issue as the solder joint has plainly failed. t-bolting from the bottom will be difficult as you'll have to drill through the original base of the insert.

It would be far easier to fill that hole with epoxy and use the surrounding inserts. The board has a 2X4 hole pattern. You shouldn't have to alter your stance all that much to use some other holes.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am actually talking with the manufacturer, as there is no other explanation to me than a production defect. It doesn't really look like the thread part was soldered or if it was, it was a very thin. It might have been glued or else.

The insert pack is actually 2X8. Is it possible that this manufacturer uses a unique set or rack of inserts instead of individual ones ? My 2 cents that it would save some production time.

Dupraz evidently uses a very unusal insert method?

I have seen a few examples where the inserts were welded to a plate. Referred to as an "Insert Plate" Typically an electrically spot weld type manufacturing process. Very rarely used. I have never see a nut used. Interesting. T-nut from the base, keeping in mind this could be complicated by the plate.

Good eye, Bryan.

I really like the board and I don't want to conclude anything. The Dupraz remains a very good board IMHO.

S*.*t happens !

Do I understand correctly that usual inserts don't have that shape ? I bought the board second-hand so I can't guarantee nothing happened around that insert before.

Julien

I too have had an insert pull up through the board with Snopro bindings. It wasn't as bad as yours- mine never came all the way through. The threaded portion of the insert broke free of the base and started to lift through the topsheet. I caught it before it came up completely and as Sean suggested, I epoxied it down to seal it and used the surrounding inserts with no problems.

Part of the problem is with the Snowpro bindings themselves. They have a kidney shaped cutout that is larger than the size of the insert. Too much force, from over tightening or a bad fall, can cause the insert to raise up. There's just nothing to stop it from coming since hole in the base plate of the binding is large enough to allow this. Does this make sense?

Anyway...my .02

Part of the problem is with the Snowpro bindings themselves. They have a kidney shaped cutout that is larger than the size of the insert. Too much force, from over tightening or a bad fall, can cause the insert to raise up. There's just nothing to stop it from coming since hole in the base plate of the binding is large enough to allow this. Does this make sense?

Actually It does. The guy at Dupraz raised this possibility. And It was the first time I mounted snowpro instead of TD2's on this board.

If the problem comes from the snowpro, a possible option might be to add a layer of metal between the topsheet and the base plate.

Geoff, thanks for the pic. Looks quite nice. I think I will just seal the hole and topsheet back with epoxy and use other inserts. With 2X8 inserts and the adjustments of TD2's, I should be fine.

This may help those not familiar with Snow Pros

Bottom side of plate bindings with upper disc in place.

The void of perhaps 3/16th inch is definitely going to act as a wheel puller !!

PS. I have a couple pair of these in excellent condition . 100$ each including shipping to lower 48 states.

post-198-141842304648_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842304651_thumb.jpg

+1 on T-nutting. If you use the burly ones with the beveled bases and the matching bit to recess the base and core that is. Only issue though is that that setup usualy uses a pilot hole to guide the bit. With all that material pulled out, theres nothing there to guide it once the beveled part of the bit hits the plate. May want to set this up on a drill press. Do not take it to just any ski shop. Take it to a shop that has done a lot of these repairs. Talk to the tech that has done them, and make sure they are the one doing the work on your board. The hole around the new insert will probably need to be filled with something like glass and epoxy too if I am judging the size of that nut correctly.

Good luck.