Note to New Members ×

SG Boards 2010-2011

Hans

Bola is correct, and the stiffer flex is the race stock version that comes with the Red Bull graphic.

Remember that race-stock boards often come in any available graphic for promotional purposes.

My 185 is a '10-11 model, and I've ridden both versions of this series at St. Anton earlier this season.

I will never understand the need for internet arguments.

Me, I ride the things.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TrenchKnife, if you do not understand the need for internet arguments, then why are you here? I find it good ... we can learn from each other.

But three questions -

First - you talked about the big differences, but never explained them (as some people in this thread have asked you to) - why?

Second - bola talked about different versions of the pro team (of which I have also heard some time ago), but you keep talking about the difference between the pro team and the titan (and there should be no difference) - so are you correct or bola?

Three - why does SG give wrong specs for their boards? Did you ask the rep?

TrenchKnife, I strongly doubt the increase in thickness of titanium layer would be the way to achieve stiffer flex?

You posted at the beginning there's a difference in titanium layer thickness PTR vs. FR T, which you are now referring to stiffer flex:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

This thread was supposed to give some info on the new 2011 line up from SG. It somehow got in the wrong direction. To clear things up -

- there are some insiders who have direct access to the SG factory (Elan) and those people are able to ride prototypes (see pic).

- those people can also choose between slight variations in the boards ... e.g. you can say whether you like a softer or a stiffer board, but the differences are not huge!

- it seems that bola also gets a patch of stiffer Pro Teams, but officially (according to Sigi) there is no such distinction.

- ordinary customers (so almost all riders ...) will not get a different board, when they choose between a Pro Team and a Titan.

So the above discussion is (almost ;)) irrelevant for the ordinary customer and the facts I stated are all true (because they are directly from Sigi :D).

post-7799-14184230874_thumb.jpg

Hello everybody,

and thanks a lot for all the interest in our new SGsnowboards product line.

I will clear the situation and solve some of the questions about our boards:

* SG FULLRACE PROTEAM and TITANIUM

All our FULLRACE boards are made in the same production circuit and therfore have the same setup, material, stiffness, camber, rocker etc.

The PROTEAM and TITANIUM boards are equal except for graphics.

We chose to make boards with a Limited Edition PROTEAM design. These boards are used by our sponsored SGriders.

Unfortunately we cannot sponsor all racers that want to ride SGsnowboards, but those riders can buy our SG FULLRACE TITANIUM boards as we want to promote both models/graphics through the WorldCup.

The limited PROTEAM models are sold to customers (100 pieces only), it is a very exclusive deck!

In general our boards are produced in the same production curcuit in June which guarantees equal quality and setup for all our boards in the board-line. That means that e.g. all our FULLRACE PROTEAM and TITANIUM 185 boards are guaranteed the same.

Throughout the year we build different setups of boards or new shapes of boards. These boards are mainly tested by myself and some SGriders. If we are happy with the results I give these boards (e.g. FULLRACE PROTEAM 70) for testing to distributors, testcentres and clients.

This is very important for us as we have to get an order from distributors/clients for these boards for the next season.

In general these test-boards are not for sale except some client or dealer would have to wait too long to get a new board or we are already sold out.

But in the end these test-boards are the same setup as the boards which will be produced in the June-serial-production.

In all our boards we use 3 mm itanal layers. Last year's boards were made with white topsheets printed with black. So on the side you could see the white-shiny topsheet next to the shiny titanal layer (might look like a thicker titanal layer). This year's boards were made with black topsheet. So you only see the shiny titanal layer.

SG SnowboardCross boards:

Since 4 years we have been making boards for Snowboardcross. In the last years the boards were named CROSS PROTEAM and had the shape of our Freeride board FREESOLO.

Coming season we will offer the new Snowboard Cross Shapes FORCE PROTEAM 60 and 65.

Our Swiss SGrider Mellie Francon already rode her FORCE 60 at the Vancouver Games and could win bot qualification runs by far. So those boards are very hot!

I hope I could answer most of your questions. If you have further questions please write me an email:

Sigi@SGsnowboards.com

I wish you a great remaining winter and lots of carving-pleasure!

Enjoy,

Sigi

www.SGsnowboards.com

www.SigiGrabner.com

www.SGPROTEAM.com

Hello everybody,

I hope I could answer most of your questions. If you have further questions please write me an email:

Sigi@SGsnowboards.com

Hi Sigi - thanks much for posting on our site! :biggthump

It's great to have such a legendary rider and board builder such as yourself setting the record straight when there are so many myths floating around here.

I'm in the market for a new board, and the 185 Full Race looks promising. I've not had a chance to ride one, but I've looked at them in Bola's shop in Boulder, CO, and there are a lot of aspects of the board design that look appealling to me. I live in Colorado and I'm not a racer. I ride big, open runs, usually with very good groom. I like bigger boards that make big turns, but also like to tighten up turns and play around.

I do have a couple questions. I know you may only be able to answer some things in general terms, but here ya go!

1. Are there any changes to the board designs for the 2011 season from the 2010 or 2009 seasons? Obviously, the 185 Full Race is designed as a race board, but can you tell us a little about what the board design is acheiving?
  2. What about changes from other years? Occassionally used, older SG boards come up for sale, and I'd like to know a little about each model year, and if one year may be more suited to my riding style than others.
  3. Can you give us any info on the side cut designs and the type of turns the board(s) is designed to make?

Thanks Sigi! mpp

@Michael Pukas - I already answered your first question ;) ... there is not much more to it :ices_ange

Question 2 is rather broad ... and question 3 has already been answered by the likes of philfell, etc. Basically this boards rock in and outside of the racecourse. No matter whether you "finish" your turns or not :ices_ange

@mc-alex - directly back from the mountain :biggthump . Did you put your SGs to the test again? Wait for next year :eplus2: ... Nice picture!!!

Was at Dynaland in Japan over the weekend for an Alpine Camp sponsored by SG Japan. Crashed in the slush and damaged my own board.

Koji Sugimoto of SG Japan kindly provided a demo Full Carve 175 and a 163 for me to use. Must say that both boards ride excellent. The 175 felt a little long for the conditions. The 163 is very nice board. The overall balance of flex, torsional rigidity and sidecut worked well for my weight (72 Kg). Was able to get used to this board very quickly and had a blast on it.

Anyone interested in an SG alpine board may want to check the Full Carve line out.

Also looked at the Force but did not get a chance to ride it. Looks like a very cool deck for those wanting something a little wider.

Nice boards Sigi and thanks Koji-san!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...