Note to New Members ×

Vonn - Mancuso

Jack M

Great to see, and pretty decent coverage - they had the whole track for a change.

I couldn't figure out why LV's hip angulation was so extreme going left until they showed the isolation slo-mo and you could see she was riding her inside ski all the way around like a freedogger doing an outrigger, clearly to take the load off the right shin. Sick.

They use to have a GS race in the early to mid 90's if I recall in the World Cup circut. I watched a few races live, and snowboards just couldn't hold an edge as well as the skiers, the race did not look pretty. The racers were all over the place trying to hold an edge. Now with metal boards out here I wonder if we will ever see some of the GS and super G races get worked back into alpine snowboarding.

Those big jumps are stupid. After all the silly rules the FIS impose in the name of safety, and then they allow a feature that is guaranteed to injure some racers.

BobD

+1.

I think this track was more difficult than the mens downhill.

They use to have a GS race in the early to mid 90's if I recall in the World Cup circuit. I watched a few races live, and snowboards just couldn't hold an edge as well as the skiers, the race did not look pretty. The racers were all over the place trying to hold an edge. Now with metal boards out here I wonder if we will ever see some of the GS and super G races get worked back into alpine snowboarding.

It's my understanding(gleamed from bomberonline) that they stopped because it's much to dangerous, getting off balance at speed in the air with skis is one thing, you have two feet to spread and try to get one back on the ground but on a board you're at the mercy of luck to recover...

The men's DH was on Dave Murray, a black, and the women's DH was on Franz, a BLUE!

Of course, iced down......

Blue!!??? I know how a blue piste look like and this wasn't one for sure. May be on the very top but after that... But I don't no about the steepness, I am more referring on how the poles were standing and how the jumps were located in the track. I found there were more technical difficult highspeed curves in it than with the mens. Especially that curve in the middle of the track, after that a jump and then right behind a curve again, very technical. Many skiers had to brake fully to get the next pole. I think those ladies did a great job.

How come there isn't a Super G Snowboard event??

Not good for TV?

Or maybe because it is difficult for the spectator to get a clear idea of who is 'winning' at any point in time.

Perhaps it requires a slightly different skill set?

They use to have a GS race in the early to mid 90's if I recall in the World Cup circut. I watched a few races live, and snowboards just couldn't hold an edge as well as the skiers, the race did not look pretty. The racers were all over the place trying to hold an edge. Now with metal boards out here I wonder if we will ever see some of the GS and super G races get worked back into alpine snowboarding.

Back in '92, Sugarloaf/USA hosted a pro-am event, with a super-G on Narrow Gauge. Full length, from the top of Spillway east to the bottom of Comp Hill. The course had full panels, and was set as though for a typical FIS regulation (skiing) SG. In other words, it was not a 'sidecut' course. This event was well-attended, and the only guys struggling on the course were those riding Skwals.

And of course, the amateurs.

I fore-ran the Super-G on a PJ 6.2 with Variplates, and it was a hoot.

The bindings gave out the following day...

Dual slalom was held on the entire bottom half of Comp Hill. Again, set with full height gates to FIS standards.

If I am not mistaken, the US Open at Stratton used to feature a Super-G as well.

That was a different time, and it would be nice if some of that could come back, but I don't see it happening any time soon, for a variety of reasons.

Any updates on injuries to the racers? I imagine that run effectively concluded the Vancouver games for one or two of them.

Unless I read incorrectly, Anja Paerson took the bronze in the combined, so she must be OK.

Unless I read incorrectly, Anja Paerson took the bronze in the combined, so she must be OK.

Yup, she had an awsome SL run, so did Mancuso and Reisch.

Yet, Pearson's combined performance is still the most impressive, having had to come back from the bruisng and fear of that big crash, other day.

Reich just slaughtered that SL course, winning by almost a second.

Bummer for Vonn, she was running a strong time in SL prior to her fall...

The Open at Stratton did indeed use to have a "Super-G" although by skiing standards it was really a wide-open GS. I qualified in via The Green Mountain series (maybe '93? '92? - not sure) and ran on a PJ - completely overmatched from top to bottom and DNF - probably just as well because the big left near the bottom would have been deadly on that setup.

On modern fast snowboard gear on modern super-g courses (which are a lot like DH was back in the 60s) the injuries would be devastating - lots of broken jaws and wrists from frontside edge catches out of the air and lots of concussions from catching heelside. A really technical GS course would be more fun to watch for me.

Yet, Pearson's combined performance is still the most impressive

After all, despite the crash, both feet did make it across the finish line...

and ran on a PJ - completely overmatched from top to bottom and DNF - probably just as well because the big left near the bottom would have been deadly on that setup.

I remember a conversation many years ago with M. Fawcett, where he referred to the PJ's as "fish hooks". Sound about right?

After all, despite the crash, both feet did make it across the finish line...

I remember a conversation many years ago with M. Fawcett, where he referred to the PJ's as "fish hooks". Sound about right?

That guy could ride about anything - his turns made a very distinctive hissing sound - like ripping a piece of silk - and his track was ridiculously narrow.

The PJ was very rideable at moderate speeds, but it liked a lot of fore and aft movement, and was twitchy on hard snow without being particularly quick edge to edge.

Tough to get much fore-aft movement with a 17" stance...

So all we have to do, J, is figure out how to clone some of the 'Originals', combine that creation with 'better' gear, and then snowboard racing will take right off.

I worked a J-0 event many years ago with Jeremy Jones forerunning the GS. Thinking about his run still gives me chills.

That was before his technique got messed with.