Note to New Members ×

Great job Seth and Nate in the Boarder Cross!

slopetool

What a great race! Nate is my girlfriend's brother in law so we we consistantely keep up on his racing. Its too bad he didn't get an Olympic medal this time. And what a great performance from Wescott! That was a great to watch. Now hopefully the women can pull it off too.

Second that Ed !!

Tricky riding to say the least. Must have been a rough course to spin out like that. Exciting race.

What board is Nate Holland on? It looks rather "classical" shapewise ... not like the other newschool boards

I haven't found out what kind of board Nate rides either. I've been asking my girlfriend's kids. I haven't seen any boards that Uncle Nate has kicked down to them. All the boards I've seen Nate ride have no brand logos on them. Just his sponsor stickers, like Monster, etc. My girlfriend's daughter is riding a Lib Tech. I'll find out next week when I see the kids and let you know. I've been trying to research this myself for over a year.

The boardercross was awesome yesterday. The inlaws had a bunch of family over. They are sports nuts, specifically Hockey, but tent to go crazy for any sport. It was very intense watching with them.

I thought Robertson had it once Holland spun out. Wescott did an awesome job gaining speed in the bottom section. Robertson started to gain back on him but there just wasn't enough room left in the race.

Wow, a non-runner on a snowboarding forum is going to think a snowboarder is more famous than a runner! That is surprising!

Well, "famous" is one thing, but objectively speaking I'll put his 1 National Championship, 1 World Championship, 2 World Championship runner ups, and 2 Olympic gold medals up against Benoit's 1 Boston Marathon win and 1 Olympic gold, as awesome as both those were. (First female olympic gold marathoner, 1984, LA) But that's not the point of this discussion at all. It's just amazing to me that our local guy won back to back Olympic golds.

Well, "famous" is one thing, but objectively speaking I'll put his 1 National Championship, 1 World Championship, 2 World Championship runner ups, and 2 Olympic gold medals up against Benoit's 1 Boston Marathon win and 1 Olympic gold, as awesome as both those were. (First female olympic gold marathoner, 1984, LA) But that's not the point of this discussion at all. It's just amazing to me that our local guy won back to back Olympic golds.

Is his wiki right? I only see 3 golds?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Wescott

Try two Boston's, one Chicago and One Olympic gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Benoit

Seth now stands alone as the most famous athlete in Maine history.

POSSUM POUCH!!!

and from Durham, (aka Krzyzewskiville) too ... "just down the road apiece".

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/olympics/story/7041465/

Betcha we see him added to the N.C. sports hall of fame exhibit in our History Museum.

Shazzam!

BB

The most toughest challenge the snowboarding industry has faced is getting the very obvious performance of hardboots while still making what is technically called a softboot. Because the long list of rules in the name of freedom that makes the 'Core' religion says thou shalt not rock hardboots.

There are so many 'strengthened' (i.e. plastic) parts in modern softboots some people mistakingly take them for hardboots. "But they're so hard, this can't be softboots".

Nate Holland is the MAN! I met him at X Games four years ago. He asked if I would like his autograph, and I said sure, I guess (who is this guy?). He had an X Games gold around his neck but no attitude. Such a nice guy!

That course was in horrible shape. Imagine screamin down that course at full speed wth frozen ruts in the bank turns. My heart goes out to Jacobellis. The press won't let her live down that crash in Turin 2006 even though she dominates the sport of WM's boardercross.