Note to New Members ×

SBX Question? After watching Olympic guys today.

Flyin Hawaiian

Well if you watch Wescotts interview, he says quote :"zidek was clearly on a faster board"

zidek made some mistakes,another wescott quote: "he was ahead but then he left the door open"

if the finishline was another 10 yards ahead zidek would have passed him back.

if the course was a GS zideck would of won, if the course was setup with no turns zidek might of won. if there was 2 feet of fresh on the course he'd of been dead last. if this were a half pipe competition he'd of not qualified. If I were there and everyone else was on burton choppers I might of won.

why are you trying to say the guy who was second was faster? clearly was not, he'd of won if he was. if you alter the conditions or a course in your head trying to make a way for someone to win in your fantasy you can make anything happen but the truth is it's fantasy. newsflash: softboots own BX. there's no arguments about it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are pros and cons with Metal in SBX. Some perfer it others don't.

Last summer we were lucky enogh to have demo SBX boards from Oxess, SG, and Kessler. Some of our riders liked the Kessler's better, others liked the Oxess, and yet others perfered the SG.

So far this year our riders on the Oxess boards have had better placings then the other boards, followed by the Kessler crew. Hard to tell if it's the boards though, the guys are so damn good they could probably ride a board from either company and finish just as well.

I'd suggest trying to find a way to demo a board from each company. They all ride a bit differently, and you have to find the best fit for you.

I got to look at a few Apex boards when I was in South America this summer, and they look pretty good also. I'd love to get a few of those to try out.

Thank you very much, philfell. The Oxess and the new SG seem to be the most extreme shapes when it comes to running length (square nose and tail). The running length of the new SG 165 is 15cm longer than of this years 167 ... is this the way to go?

Apex Pro+ 165 also looks very good (slightly longer nose). And it is a full metal construction. And then there is Kessler ... so many options ... a demo would be nice, but almost impossible ...

What are some pros and cons for metal in BX?

You need to watch it again.

It's an awesome course, spiralling down the mountain with great use of terrain and built by Jeff Ihaksi, from BC and the same guy who made the Torino course.

I enjoyed most of the course, but I didn't understand the point of the first couple of features that had many riders teetering on top of that wall before getting into the meat of the course. How did that section add anything to the race? Genuinely curious as I don't watch a lot of BX.

Could tell on the Olympic course that the soft snow conditions were making for some wash-board turns, but I thought the look and flow of the course was pretty amazing. Rider had some technical features, but could really go full-out and still not over/under shoot the landings. There was even space to make tactical maneuvers.

Wescott was inspiring! - just registered myself for this weekends USASA SBX in Northern Minnesota.

It is the most stable ride I have ever set foot on.

So Neil - You would say the SBX Kesslers are "Grrrrreat?!"

(Sorry...)

post-600-14184230395_thumb.jpg

Neil most courses are designed with a few tech features out of the start. Timing and matching transition in landings are the most important here. If you go a bit too far before landing you are in the back of the pack. Just like Wescott did on the first feature in the finals.

They design courses this way to provide a bit of seperation in the pack before the first turn, to minimize big pill ups right out of the start.

DiveBomber, just because someones board is faster that does not mean that they are faster. If the guy in front is faster then the guy in back they can leave every passing lane open and not get passed..........because they are faster. If the guy in back passes they are going faster then the guy in front. It's pretty simple. Yes there were sections that Ziedek was able to run faster then Seth, but to say that Ziedek was "clearly" faster in the race is untrue. Because if that was the case he would have stayed out front the entire heat.

WinterGold, the pros and cons of metal in SBX are pretty much the same as what's been debated on this forum in the past about metal alpine gear. Metal is much more damp, which is usually better in turns and in chattery conditions. But you loose pop, which can make wu-tangs and other tech features a bit tougher.

This is the exact reason Ross Powers choose Oxess over Kessler. He felt that the Kessler lacked the pop that he liked, coming from a HP background. He liked the way the Oxess felt on wu-tangs better and that was the deciding factor.

Plus the non-metal boards seem to be a bit more durable. The top sheet that Kessler has put on help a ton in this deparment, but that adds some weight and even more dampening that some riders don't prefer.

I think that you should be on equipment that compliments your strengths. If you are a good turner, like Graham, then Kessler is king. If you want a board that feels more lively leaving the lip of a jump because you come from a freestyle background then Oxess or SG may be a bit better.

Or if you are hard on equipment then you may want to take duribility into consideration.

One more thing, I really wish in the future, we can get some one with a more positive attitude doing the colour commatating, was Rob Steven's not asked.

I didn't apply, but wasn't asked either.

I have had a job over the last 5 years that has been pretty all-consuming, so when I get time off, the last thing I want to do is go to a World Cup or an event of any kind. (GT Memorial NoBoard comp aside)

I'm more concerned with riding for myself on a day off than watching others ride and talking about them.

To tell you the truth, though, I've been watching and I can't help but commentate over what I'm watching.

Invariably, I'm much funnier and on point, so it's true... Canada would have benefitted fom me being there.;)

Oxess and Kessler...so no maddbx?

I've ridden the Maddbx...very washy washy for my taste...and the carbon was only a sticker on a very wide board. Wide makes for unnecessary surface tension and unnecessary hook at top of turns...does the notoriety or the name generate the interest?

Top riders on Oxess and Kessler for a reason, or no?

Kessler

Oxess

SG

All European makers correct? No US or CAN compaines? Aren't most of the top riders US and CAN? Weird no US or CAN companies make boards? Is SBX just not that big yet? Plus if SBX boards are so agreeable to all mnt and freeriding you'd think more companies would make them. You can have the same model for soft or hard boots and change the specs accordingly. Sounds like a win win for selling boards.

Oxess and Kessler...so no maddbx?

I've ridden the Maddbx...very washy washy for my taste...and the carbon was only a sticker on a very wide board. Wide makes for unnecessary surface tension and unnecessary hook at top of turns...does the notoriety or the name generate the interest?

Top riders on Oxess and Kessler for a reason, or no?

Madd not making boards for the time being - doubt an athlete would get out there on a board that can't be easily replaced.

US companies decided many years ago to allow the urban (disposable) demographic direct the mfg aspect of board construction as well as Industry marketing of the sport.

'Innovation' simply does not provide ample motivation for US companies in order to produce superior product or push the boundaries of product design. High-performance, cutting-edge doesn't appear 'cost effective' enough to drive similar effort...

Even after the 'sacrilegious' US sweep in 2002 podium (unheard of in any prior Winter Olympics), US mfgrs./Industry took the absolute incorrect direction, and could not look beyond the participant demographic or aspire toward the performance aspect other than 'the definitive snowboarder look' to promote the sport.

FF eight years to a stagnant Industry, $80+USD lift daypasses and little developmental growth and you can guess why there is little if any innovation to be served outside of EUR mfg with true vision to progress the sport.

US individuals perservere...and the US is making an excellent showing this Olympiad...World Cup starts are a definite indication...but the Industry is likely to once again, disabuse itself the opportunity to change sail and re-examine it's motivation to truly progress this sport.

Enough energy has been wasted here...go outside and play.

You need to watch it again.

It's an awesome course, spiralling down the mountain with great use of terrain and built by Jeff Ihaksi, from BC and the same guy who made the Torino course.

Completely agree. The course looked very very fast and challenging. A worthy test of the best snowboarders in the world.

I will second that. I talked to a couple of the forerunners for the SBX who have done some WC races as well. Most of the riders loved the course and the challenge. Some even agreed that it was one of the most difficult courses they had run. It allowed for passing which is very important.:biggthump

Good luck getting the answer to that question.

Wax techs on the world cup are about as secretive as they come. Some don't tune until late at night so that other techs can't see what they are waxing with.

haha, yeah, heard some great stories about such things.

A certain crazy greek wax peddler said he did some skis or boards that were running fast one day so just to **** with the other techs there he put some sweet 'n low in a shaker and made it look as if he was applying it to bases. he said in about 30 seconds there were 5 guys applying overlays.

I think that was the point of Thanos's story. he was talking about how some people have so many wax superstitions, are secretive and kinda go beyond what's provable with any sort of data. rightfully so too. it's a really big deal, the wrong wax can screw up your day. just that it's kinda insane too.

Love to watch SBX, but with the ladies it is much like watching womens hockey, there are only a few maybe five world class boarders. Hopfully with Mielle's Gold, we in Canada get start producing world class SBXers on the womens side. I believe we have good ones coming up in the mens but not sure about the girls

With Maelle and Dominique Maltais the Canadian women have been dominant this year. Certainly world class. While I'm not sure about up and comers, the present women's team has been far more consistent than the men.

Little question after seeing some clips of the Canadian SBX racers.

Seeing come out the gate and clearing the pack, what kind of wax + start spray on is the Canadian team using?

I don't think that holeshot Maelle gets is wax, that's just training the start which I hear she does more than anyone.

And while I'm at it: Ashleigh! Yeah, baby!

584-mcivor-gold-100223cp.jpg