Note to New Members ×

Burton Plates

02halo

I broke the front receiver on my TD3's and became dissapointed with their performance, so I found the stiffest soft boots that I could and rode the end of last season and the first part of this season on Burton CO2's and C-60's.

This is a great setup on my Tanker 200, but I crave a toeside that is as dailed in and responsive as my heelside. So one day surfing C-list, I found some Burton Race Plates for $30.

They are an older model (rental fleet?) that has a bar that connects the front and rear bails. When you turn the bar it spreads the bails farther apart or closer together. This is great of your trying different size boots, not much of an advantage of your going to lock and load for a day of high speed turns.

Anyhow, I rode them last week on a LibTech Skunk Ape 190 with Head Stratus Pros. They were great! No Issues, never released and my only complaint is that they are NOT damp at all. I felt every cockroach I ran over.

My question is this: At 250lbs, 6'2", size 14 and riding mostly off the groomed, big mountain style, how long till these things explode? Or am I already on borrowed time?

Thanks

I have those suckers..Have about 70 days on them (plus whatever was on them before, probably quite a lot)

I'm 6 foot 2 and 215 pounds..They are plenty solid, I've done countless bump runs (in my opinion, much harder on a binding than carving) and lots of 8+ foot drops to flat. I take them in the park sometimes too, but I don't think that's as bad for them as bumps.

If you think they'll get lose, you're crazy. The screw is cam shaped and uses 2 leaf spring detents to hold it in place.

But I'm surprised you found them to be brutal..They are the same stiffness as my normal raceplates (by the way, your bindings are called Rental Performance) but with extra leverage on the elastomers.

My question is this: At 250lbs, 6'2", size 14 and riding mostly off the groomed, big mountain style, how long till these things explode? Or am I already on borrowed time?

Thanks

I have broken two of these. 250, 6' size 10.5. I never did do a complete release when they broke. I used to ride them on my powder boards and loaners. Now I just use regular race plates. When they broke it was always the bail and there was enough left that my foot stayed in and I was able to sit down.

Inspect the inside bend where the bail turns to go into the toe or heel block regularly. You can also do the oil and powder or flour trick every couple of weeks to see if any micro cracks are forming.

The TD3s ride great and then without notice they release on me, usually on a steep, while banging out a hard turn. Its not that I dont like the stiffness, I am just used to a more damp ride. I am guessing that the Palmer risers, coupled with the gel pad in the bindings and the air pocket in my boots, give me some suspenion and eat up some of the vibrations durring riding. I reset the Burton plates on Palmers for tomorrow, we will see if it changes much.

"You can also do the oil and powder or flour trick every couple of weeks to see if any micro cracks are forming.".......I know how to magneflux an engine part for cracks, what is this trick?

"You can also do the oil and powder or flour trick every couple of weeks to see if any micro cracks are forming.".......I know how to magneflux an engine part for cracks, what is this trick?

Yes that is what I am talking about. Small oily rag, swab around inside bend of lower part of bail approx .5 to .375 of inch from the toe/heel blocks.

soak lightly and then apply flour or talc on the very inside bend.

I broke the front receiver on my TD3's So one day surfing C-list, I found some Burton Race Plates for $30.

They are an older model (rental fleet?) that has a bar that connects the front and rear bails. When you turn the bar it spreads the bails farther apart or closer together. Or am I already on borrowed time?

Thanks

Photos of the broken TD3 receiver please.

Yes, at 250 I would not consider a pair of rental Burtons. Something is not adding up?

Do you get down to the Portland area much??

Bryan

The TD3s ride great and then without notice they release on me, usually on a steep, while banging out a hard turn.

I had that happen with another binding a while back. Seems like they were adjusted correctly too but .....presto release during a certain type of turn.

What kind of boots are you using?

I am using Head Stratus Pros. I have reset these bindings too tight, so that the boot is flexing, to loose so that the boot moves and then just right, where I believe it to be correct. I HAVE used plates before and never had a release issue.

Its always when I am at the bottom of a turn, on big moguls or a super steep run, I unweight the board for the transfer of my body weight and the snapping of my shoulders, and then there is the strange sensation of freedom.....as in my rear foot is not longer in the binding. Its to the point that I dont trust them anymore. I have had to use my leash all Mcgiver-ish and attach the front bail to my boot, so that I can get to the bottom.

My fear is that, my luck with walking away with only my ego bruised, is going to change and I am going to swist something and get hurt.

I should add that I have a magic power for breaking ANYTHING I touch. Such as boards (Sims, K2 and Lib all have me on their most wanted lists), boots (Boa cables), bindings (straps, ratchets, highbacks) Its this power that is stopping me from buying stepins, as I dont trust 4 screws in my heal to hold me in durring a bomb drop to cat track, type of landing.

Sorry I only ride Hood in the summer, Crystal durring the winter, no going to PDX very soon.

I am using Head Stratus Pros. I have reset these bindings too tight, so that the boot is flexing, to loose so that the boot moves and then just right, where I believe it to be correct. I HAVE used plates before and never had a release issue.

Its always when I am at the bottom of a turn, on big moguls or a super steep run, I unweight the board for the transfer of my body weight and the snapping of my shoulders, and then there is the strange sensation of freedom.....as in my rear foot is not longer in the binding. Its to the point that I dont trust them anymore. I have had to use my leash all Mcgiver-ish and attach the front bail to my boot, so that I can get to the bottom.

My fear is that, my luck with walking away with only my ego bruised, is going to change and I am going to swist something and get hurt.

I should add that I have a magic power for breaking ANYTHING I touch. Such as boards (Sims, K2 and Lib all have me on their most wanted lists), boots (Boa cables), bindings (straps, ratchets, highbacks) Its this power that is stopping me from buying stepins, as I dont trust 4 screws in my heal to hold me in durring a bomb drop to cat track, type of landing.

Sorry I only ride Hood in the summer, Crystal durring the winter, no going to PDX very soon.

Email me if you want to sell your td3s