Note to New Members ×

Crotched

modifiede30

• 8 years later...

I'm usually there on weekends.  Either Saturday or Sunday, sometimes both.  It's mostly a carve-friendly mountain.  Just watch out for racing events and training which tends to shut down the best carving trails.  When UFO is open and groomed it's one of my favorites.  Plutos, Satelite Summit,  Magnitude, and Big Dipper are fun, too. If you can hit Meteor when it's not closed for a race it's spectacular. 

I prefer the larger terrain options, more steeps, and even fewer crowds at Berkshire East.  But it's a 90 minute drive to BEast and only 20 minutes to Crotched.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

solid 3"-12" base if i had to guess. wet heavy snow/slush and soft ice. mostly ice. i read from a questionable source that "valley" lift won't run this year. "rocket" lift and "west" lift today. that middle lift "rover" has the chairs sitting on the ground at the base; nothing on line. "milky way" trail not open to connect from top to get to the west side. tons of kids and young families making the most of it on a holiday week. it was Epic. quick visit to test the SG soul.

was gonna go for a couple hours tomorrow, but the hours have changed:

"...we have made the difficult decision to amend our schedule of operations to Wednesday through Sunday, beginning January 1, with the following hours: Wed. 9-5; Thurs-Sat. 9-9; Sun. 9-5. This change to a five-day schedule will allow our hard-working resort teams to better focus on delivering the best possible ski and ride experience for our guests on those days."

wednesday, leaky sky. thursday/friday loon. saturday will be a mess with 5-8" exp'd on friday. 3-5" north. keeping an eye on sunday at crotch. monday/tuesday would be hero, but... closed. W, Th. and/or F next week are likely between sunapee and crotch. wax/edge prep and back up to loaf for a week.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 7:08 AM, WhiteHorse said:

I've got an Epic mid-week pass for the season.  Who's out there is a weekday rider? 

Let me know when you plan on going. I could be tempted to start work later a couple of times a week and carve there in the morning for a few hours. 

I'm heading to Crotched tomorrow (Sunday) for the first time in two years tomorrow. I can't wait! 

“Severe winter weather advisory” in effect from 6 AM to 3 PM today. Freezing rain expected with up to 1/10 an inch of ice accumulation.  Welcome back to snowboarding in New England. You know it's been too long, when I don't even care. I just need to get on a board. Hopefully this means there will be less crowds. 🤣

• Like 3

On 1/9/2022 at 7:24 AM, lafcadio said:

“Severe winter weather advisory” in effect from 6 AM to 3 PM today. Freezing rain expected with up to 1/10 an inch of ice accumulation.  Welcome back to snowboarding in New England. You know it's been too long, when I don't even care. I just need to get on a board. Hopefully this means there will be less crowds. 🤣

So, did you go?  If so, what did you find?

Starting at 11am it was freezing rain and foggy. My legs gave out soon after. conditions between 9am and 11am were not too bad. After 11, lots of ice, not surprising. 

Many of my favorites runs are not yet open, including Plutos, UFO, and Big Dipper. Magnitude is not well groomed yet — soft and bumpy. Galaxy is half width due to make shift terrain park until the main park runs open. 

It’s still early days. Less than half the mountain is open. If you head there soon stick to Satellite Summit, Galaxy, and Meteor, if not closed for race or race training. 

I was there on Thursday (1/13) and surprised to find that snow conditions were very good. Nice carving snow all across the trails that were open.  Several times I saw someone carving down Pluto's Plunge but we were off cycle and I never caught up to him.   My first time out for the year and I was burnt out after 5 runs! (I hung in there for several more.)  No rest time in the lift line on week days.  All in all a good start to the season.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Crotched was fun today. Got some good runs in today with @RCZippybefore conditions deteriorated and it got too crowded. Surprising how well the snowpack has held up. Props to the groomers and snow crew. 

Pluto's is open but not worth it. It's a very thin cover with plenty of bare spots. Satellite Summit was great for the first two hours. Ski Patrol was trying to talk me into Jupiter's Storm but I wasn't biting. Apparently since Vail took over it's being groomed more frequently. We'll see... next time.