Note to New Members ×

? Ever use a GPS or wind speed meter for MPH

SteveInOregon

I was wondering how fast I am on a tucked in run.

I know I am not "FAST" like some of You race & GS guy's ( and gal's ) but I "get air" on the moguls and convex so I must be going "pretty fast", it feels like I am in the high 40's in MPH, but I am guessing

So this begs the question apart from an expensive hand held radar gun plus a 2nd person is holding, just how fast do You know for sure You are going.

Have you eve used a GPS ? and how fast is "fast" for you ?

I was thinking on buying a hand held wind speed meter the kind my sniper friends use to measure wind speed and holding it or wearing it line a helmet cam to measure my speed / or calculated & converted mph or buying a GPS with MPH readout .

What say You, how fast is fast for you ?

Have you measured your speed ?

2 seasons ago: 44 mph I was tagged @ with a radar gun (Mountain safety facist swine patrol traffic block) comming down off a lazy green trail. They let me go as there was no one on it at the time. I'm just glad they clocked me on that trail rather than the night before when I was elsewhere and moving far faster :biggthump.... I just don't want to know how fast I've actualy been, but it feels just like riding in a Jeep with the window folded down @ 60mph on the highway in the summer time:eek:

My friend Angelo has an App for his Iphone. We cruise around 40 constantly +/- 10 mph

97km/h tucking it on a blue run at Mount St. Louis. Measured on a Magellan GPS. Coiler 178 RaceCarve, non-metal. Very stable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply: If my KMP to MPH conversion is right your blazing along at 60 mph:eek:, WOW that is my goal to go as fast as possible given my equipment and terrain, which seams to be ( guessing ) to be in the 40's tucked in all the way, but 60mph is :eplus2: evil fast ( bowing, I'm not worthy )

:biggthump

I love it, I like it better than carving , I like hitting a small convex and flying thru the air strickly due to speed, just like I did when I have a tunnel hull jet boat > the slightest swell and the whole boat would catch some air, the board and my old boat like it smooth and flat otherwise it get's a bit "jiggy", lol.

I will have to go to another mountain to hit 60 and survive.

Maintainable & controllable speed seems to be very run specific, the mountain I am close to ( litteraly only 10 miles away ) is so steep with such narrow run's only a "highly" experienced bomber , a semi pro or pro could do 60mph on a long board "and" negotiate the narrows, turn and / or stop in time.

The mountain I ride the most has runs that are only the width of a 4 lane freeway with hardly a strait away to be had anywere on the mountain.

Now Mnt Bachelor from what I hear seams to be the place to "test my testicles" around here , lol, they say it's long & wide perfect to do an F14 imitaton on a F2, lol.

This is probably not a good conversation to be having. I wouldn't want to see anyone riding that fast, really. And speed, just for speed's sake, should not be your goal. I take it you mean that you want to able to ride fast with control.

In my case, it was mid-week, the slopes were empty, snow conditions were perfect and there was very little risk. The run in question is straight, wide and consistent pitch. The worst thing that could've happened is I catch an edge and I would just slide to a stop on my butt.

I posted that speed up a few years ago in response to a thread about how fast we ride. I argued that we consistently ride at 30-40mph and a lot of people thought I was nuts. I stuck the GPS in my pocket to test my theory. I was right, 30-40 mph is cruising speed.

only a "highly" experienced bomber , a semi pro or pro could do 60mph on a long board "and" negotiate the narrows, turn and / or stop in time.

Now Mnt Bachelor from what I hear seams to be the place to "test my testicles" around here , lol, they say it's long & wide perfect to do an F14 imitaton on a F2, lol.

Hey SteveInOregon, welcome to BOL and carving. I live in Eugene much of the year and carve a bit at Bachelor.

Tex has already said this to you in a previous thread - we do not bomb anything. We carve. We carve hard and some of us are good enough to carve fast. We ride with responsibility and control.

Straightliners (bombers as you call them) are very dangerous for us and are regarded with significant contempt. Most of us have, or have almost been taken out by straightliners (bombers).

There are several good carvers (including a great instructor) at Bachelor who could help you with carving, but if you are "bombing," they won't want to be near you. :nono:

Hey SteveInOregon, welcome to BOL and carving. I live in Eugene much of the year and carve a bit at Bachelor.

Tex has already said this to you in a previous thread - we do not bomb anything. We carve. We carve hard and some of us are good enough to carve fast. We ride with responsibility and control.

Straightliners (bombers as you call them) are very dangerous for us and are regarded with significant contempt. Most of us have, or have almost been taken out by straightliners (bombers).

There are several good carvers (including a great instructor) at Bachelor who could help you with carving, but if you are "bombing," they won't want to be near you. :nono:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You for the welcome:

Include me I have been hit and had close calls by the score by out of control types, basically immature young guys who are trying to put on a show.

The differece is I am 46 years old , a matured seasoned rider, (been on a SB since 88), never ever ever hit anyone,I dont thread the needle either.

Iv'e never been stopped by the ski patrol, ( unless Hios nae was Fin , lol )

Iv'e never been confronted by an irate skier etc.... so I don't fit the classical definition of "strait liner".

I mix speed with turns, I find 20mph boring, I come from an amature road race motorcycle background and love for speed boats.

( was "Carver on line" domain taken )

The problem could be from with taking your identity from what you do for fun.

1st I carve, ( not really well ) but I do I ( but I'm not a carver ) I also fly fish ( not really well ) but I not a fly fisherman "and" I fish with a spinning outfit too I'm not even a spin fisherman.

I apologize if I am dragging this out a bit but I get "bombed" ( pun intended ) for speaking about going fast all the time.

( I put my foot in my mouth by starting another thread about bombing )

I'm neither a carver nor a bomber , I "am" a highly experienced snow board rider who can go moderatly fast under good control in bad conditions ( I was raised on so Cal snow making & golf ball skied moguls ) who is switching over to HB to build more high speed & turning skills & experience through patience and better equipment.

As for fishing I am a cross over I do both, I carry both to the river, the fly fishers look down on the spin fishers as troglodytes, and the spin fishers look down on the fly fishers as snotty purists I laugh because I peruse both.

I ride Harley, a clean one, I wear clean leathers, and have a buzz cut, I don't drink smoke or act anti social "and" I still get treated like a dirt bag biker, and I ride a BMW and get treated like a white collar yuppie.

My dragged out point is I don't take my identity from fun hobbies , sport and past times so I don't fit stereo types

If I were a pro GS SB'er I would still not take my inner core identity from it, ya I would say " I am a racer" but I know deep in my heart it could be over in one crash, so I remain detached from such identification.

I surf but I am not a surfer I snow board but I am not a snowboarder, The only identities I care to wear as being part of my total self have nothing to do with past times, sports and fun.

Sorry for the rant, but this is deeper than being an out of control dangerous dead head dork going strait down a hill willy nilly not caring if he runs up on someone or threads the needle while giving a close shave to some innocent person, I dont fit that "identity" and never did.;)

Take Care.

This is probably not a good conversation to be having. I wouldn't want to see anyone riding that fast, really. And speed, just for speed's sake, should not be your goal. I take it you mean that you want to able to ride fast with control.

In my case, it was mid-week, the slopes were empty, snow conditions were perfect and there was very little risk. The run in question is straight, wide and consistent pitch. The worst thing that could've happened is I catch an edge and I would just slide to a stop on my butt.

I posted that speed up a few years ago in response to a thread about how fast we ride. I argued that we consistently ride at 30-40mph and a lot of people thought I was nuts. I stuck the GPS in my pocket to test my theory. I was right, 30-40 mph is cruising speed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply: Yes , yes of course under "control" and on a vacant mid week slope :)

The fastest I've recorded was 49.5 with a garmin GPS. Madd 170 on icy early morning groom. I "had" to go fast to make it across a flat transition to another trail.

Another time I was at Keystone, and was being lazy and bombing a run, I went over a roller and caught some air on accident. It wasn't really a jump as much as it was I just happened to be flying in the air and didn't really realize it. It was fun in an "oh $h!t" way. And no, the Keystone yellowcoats didn't get me:AR15firin:eplus2:

Thought you might have left us. Good to see you around.

While I do spend most of my time carving, carving, carving....I am also addicted to the speed side of things as well. I have done several downhill races and lots of Super G. Good fun.

Clocked at 70 mph on one downhill run by someone with a radar gun. (actually clocked at 66 the first run and I went quite a bit faster on run two so conservatively 70 mph).

Pretty sure I regularly hit 55-60 for a few seconds here and there during regular riding. Not for long though, too much can go awry.

The whole thing with those kinds of speeds on an open mtn is that there is always somebody ready to come flying out of the side of the run and ruin everyone's day. I have also been known to hide out on top until patrol sweeps and then get the upper half of the mtn to myself before I catch up to them or meet the groomers coming up. :eek::eplus2::eek:

There are a few places where even during regular hours you can let 'er run on my home mtn. (Sun Valley) That is because you can see all approaches to the run, trees are far away etc., and we have times of very little people on the hill. I too have never had any trouble with anyone, any collisions or anything. All in how you do it.

The official ski patrol line on anything that is not marked as Slow Skiing area is no speed control.

So they don't bust you. How cool is that?

If I wanted to join the ski club they do speed training once a week or every other week on a couple of runs on one side of the mtn. Basically this is downhill tuck practice for the ski racers and then they let the old guys go after. They start at 8 am and are done before the mtn opens to the public.

So you can still get your yayas out and do it safely. Pick your how and your place. Stay safe, have fun.

Edit to add: In terms of how fast I don't know how to do that. Years of motorcycling helps me to judge a bit by how much your clothes are cracking and popping and how much wind gets in around the goggles.....

Thought you might have left us. Good to see you around.

While I do spend most of my time carving, carving, carving....I am also addicted to the speed side of things as well. I have done several downhill races and lots of Super G. Good fun.

Clocked at 70 mph on one downhill run by someone with a radar gun. (actually clocked at 66 the first run and I went quite a bit faster on run two so conservatively 70 mph).

Pretty sure I regularly hit 55-60 for a few seconds here and there during regular riding. Not for long though, too much can go awry.

The whole thing with those kinds of speeds on an open mtn is that there is always somebody ready to come flying out of the side of the run and ruin everyone's day. I have also been known to hide out on top until patrol sweeps and then get the upper half of the mtn to myself before I catch up to them or meet the groomers coming up. :eek::eplus2::eek:

There are a few places where even during regular hours you can let 'er run on my home mtn. (Sun Valley) That is because you can see all approaches to the run, trees are far away etc., and we have times of very little people on the hill. I too have never had any trouble with anyone, any collisions or anything. All in how you do it.

The official ski patrol line on anything that is not marked as Slow Skiing area is no speed control.

So they don't bust you. How cool is that?

If I wanted to join the ski club they do speed training once a week or every other week on a couple of runs on one side of the mtn. Basically this is downhill tuck practice for the ski racers and then they let the old guys go after. They start at 8 am and are done before the mtn opens to the public.

So you can still get your yayas out and do it safely. Pick your how and your place. Stay safe, have fun.

Edit to add: In terms of how fast I don't know how to do that. Years of motorcycling helps me to judge a bit by how much your clothes are cracking and popping and how much wind gets in around the goggles.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply: Thank You Sir,

YES Yes yes thank you I thought I was all alone here and the only guy who wants to go fast "and" carve, lol.

Yes 45mph on a motorcycle and my eyes tear up and I have to start squinting and flip the visor down ( same with goggles on for SB'ing ) so the motorcycle analogy works , 55 and I get wind buffeting no wind buffeting yet so I know I am under 55 on the slope.

YES, You are doing exactly what I am speaking about, fast but "sane" picking your spots, being able to see way ahead and no groomers around, staying within you skill-speed level, going up tempo then back off and cruise or carve, bidding your time etc....

Some times there is just no way to tuck & run f-a-s-t because the slope has to many factors ( mainly people ) people or even 1 single person can be to many for me to go fast , if that person is a skier running a short quik line it could change real fast & I / we could be in trouble so I back off , or a cruiser runing big curvy 45 or God forbid a newbee who finds himself out on the Black so I just go back to c~a~r~v~e & relax.

Now 55/60/70mph like You do is WAY to fast for me.

If I were to attempt a "steep" steep like you I would be an idiot I would be "out of control" at the speed you are experienced at but You have built up your skill over time and now one man's insane is another guy's cruise.

I actually drive 100 miles to the next ski/board resort-mountain to practice speed because the resort mountain in my back yard only 10 miles from me is too narrow , too steep, too blind cornered, to many intersections, too short, to dangerous all around for my level of HB rider to "tuck in" but for a few seconds.

Its tempting but my danger meter tilts to Red too fast and I listen to it and so I practice my linked carves on the home mountain and my "wanabee" GS'er aka old geezer tuck n run's on the bigger mountain 100 miles away.

Thank You for taking the time to reply, take Care.

I have a handheld gps that gives speed in real time, but doesn't record, meaning you have to look at it on the fly. I ran several runs repeatedly one day with it. A green run was consistently 27 mph top-bottom, almost every time I looked down at the gps. Average parts of a blue were 35-37 mph. The steeper parts of the blue were faster of course, but I couldn't focus on the screen long enough to see the reading for fear of wiping out or flying into the trees. A black run was faster yet, and I couldn't begin to even glance at the screen. Made me realize how much concentration fast runs need.

I have a handheld gps that gives speed in real time, but doesn't record, meaning you have to look at it on the fly. I ran several runs repeatedly one day with it. A green run was consistently 27 mph top-bottom, almost every time I looked down at the gps. Average parts of a blue were 35-37 mph. The steeper parts of the blue were faster of course, but I couldn't focus on the screen long enough to see the reading for fear of wiping out or flying into the trees. A black run was faster yet, and I couldn't begin to even glance at the screen. Made me realize how much concentration fast runs need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply: I'm nodding my head in agreement.

I had a similar experience, I brought my hand held Flip video cam and tried to hold it in my lead -down hill hand and video a "gun n run" and it took away just a small percentage of my concentration so I just stopped half way through the run I needed 100% concentration.

I more than likely would be video taping my own crash,lol.

I got on E-bay and bought an Oregon Scientific helmet cam so I don't have to think about anything but the run.

These photos are from 2006. It's an old Garmin Forerunner which I mostly used to measure running routes. I was using the stopwatch feature to time top to bottom runs on chair 1 at Big Mountain, but it also captured max speeds. Took the pictures to send to a friend who had been out visiting and was all into speeds on his (much better) GPS, but haven't done it again since. Max speed isn't really my thing.

post-1861-14184229804_thumb.jpg

post-1861-14184229804_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842298041_thumb.jpg

Max speed on GPS is usually a bit too high in my experience (of course I know it has to be reset before and GPS has had to be turned on at least 1 hour so all the almanach data is in).

However one can nicely analyze speed with software like GPSAR Pro (that's what is used in the speedsurfing/kiting world for contests). I usually clean out the inbetween points and then look at a distance of at least 300-400m straight line.

Onpiste with my tanker 200 swallowtailed I once bombed down a 40° hill with 130kph. Offpiste on my 3part Swallowtail split I once managed 153kph straightlining a 60° face of 600m vert (dropped in, noted I had too much snow coming down with me, so I didn't dare to do any turn and just hoped to get the hell out straightline without falling).

Carving feels fast, but is much slower. Usually around 40-50kph when using boards with 15m radius for me.