Note to New Members ×

For those who own a Donek Incline...

Jeffrey Day

...do you guys & gals runs plates or softies? If all goes well, I'll be ordering up an Incline soon to replace my current freeride stick!

I was going to go with a Never Summer Premier or a Volkl Coal or possibly a Unity board...but it's just too hard to pass on the price of the Inclines!!

Thanks all & happy trails!

Jeff,

I'd say it's a bit of a mix. There are definitely more people on soft boot setups, but some use plates. I've started running catek freerides on mine. It's the ultimate cross over. If you want something that's a bit more freestylish, the phoenix line is softer and more park freindly, while maintaining exception edge control.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Day

...do you guys & gals runs plates or softies? If all goes well, I'll be ordering up an Incline soon to replace my current freeride stick!

I was going to go with a Never Summer Premier or a Volkl Coal or possibly a Unity board...but it's just too hard to pass on the price of the Inclines!!

Thanks all & happy trails!

I had Salomon SP4 Shapes strap bindings on my Incline 155... but I found a pair of used Catek Freeride ~Pros for half price and picked them up for my Incline.

I ride a Volkl Spline which I think has almost identical specs as the Incline.

I rode on soft boots (Burton boots, Salomon SP4 bindings) for a while last year and really felt sloppy. I almost sold the board but gave it one last ride with hard boots. It was the best day I had all year. It was late spring snow. Don't know what it will be like on powder or ice.

Guest thomas_m

I have a Wide 161 and I use stiffish softboosts - 32 Team Ones and Nidecker Carbon 900s. I tried the Catek Freerides and liked the responsiveness but just couldn't deal with the day to day 'fiddling' associated with that much adjustability.

T.

It does well both ways IMHO. For me, it comes down to waist width - I prefer softies on my Wide, that gives be about 1/8" overhang on each boot, each side. I prefer playes on my Incline 'cause I get too much overhang in softies. Actually, my Incline is an older model ('97?), todays' boards are much snappier, but I have tried plates on a new Incline 160 and that was a lot of fun too.

I have a gold, 2004, 160 incline for sale. Used once, put in the closet. Does not suit my style of riding. Only first day wear on it. Pretty much perfect.

Didn't ride it with plates so maybe its a superstar with them on it. However, I have no further interest in the board and will never find out.

$135

Sic

Jeffrey,

be aware that i broke my donek wide 169 on the fourth day of riding using catek olympic step-ins (i have no other bindings at hands that days) year ago (20-Nov-2003) - front inserts went loose. so Sean told me that - when not explicitly specified in warranty - this is not a warranty claim to break a board with metal platform plates. so I felt anxiety about catek freerides too now - there is too much leverage between catek's disk edge and board edge to my understanding of edging power to break. so first donek in siberian broken that way (hope to repair it in near days, actually, and ride it as a rockboard).

PS speaking of wide boards and plates -- have ridden f2 eliminator ltd 167 with f2 race titaniums a lot last season (near 50 days) - what a miracle board! but f2 race has a metal base with bigger contact patch to board, and I think that if there was f2 races on donek that days - maybe all went fine.

It's a terrific do everything board. I especially like it in the spring and when I plan on going everywhere on the mountain. It carves like a banshee but turns like a sports car with rack and pinion steering in the slop and bumps. I would think stiff soft boots would be a good choice for the Incline.

I own a Donek Incline 164. When I bought it 3 or 4 years ago I bought it to ride soft boots on it. I set it up that way at first and all was nice.

Then I tried my bombers on it and have never put softies on it since, 3 years now. I don't even own softies anymore because this board is so good with hardboots.

I take it into anything and everything, steeps, pow, trees, ice, crud, slush, mud, groomers, kitty liter...I've hiked with it as well all with my bombers and Head boots, it even can handle it's own with very well 45*+ angles and alpine style carving on groomers...

My nephew and then two of his friends tried the deck out over the years, all three with softies, and all three of them own and incline or one of it's wider cousins.

You won't be disappointed with it in softies or hardboots. Trust me! It is hands down the best snowboard I have ever owned (and that is saying something, I have owned at least 150 boards in my 20+ years riding).

For years I compared every non-alpine board I rode back to my beloved 1990 Burton Craig kelly Mystery Air...that was until 2001 when I bought my first two Doneks, incline included. Now I compare ever non-alpine deck back to the incline.

sic t 2,

if nekdut's friend didn't come through, I'll take it off your hands.

I'd love a second incline for the early winter/late spring days. so email me itodd at itodd.org.

i bought an incline last year. in fact, i was probably sean's worst customer. i kept calling one morning waiting for him to "get into the office". little did i know that he lives there. I woke his family up at like 6am. sorry again sean. when i order my phoenix or wide, i'll be sure to call at a reasonable hour.

Anyways, I ride softies with catek freerides. I'd probably have sex with the setup if it were possible.

todd

if it works for you more power to you but for many of us it just does not work that well

I do have to say that the incline would be one of the better boards to do that with narrow, stiff and built pretty rugged

I was at the Burton factory this summer and one of the guys that was working there got all excited about my Donek shirt I was wearing

"Sean makes some the best boards around!"

coming out of the mouth of a Burton employee was pretty funny

I had a half-dozen days on a new Incline 160 (I'm 5'10', 170lbs) and Catek Olympics last season.

Heelside carve is a little washy, but I'm used to narrower angles on my Volant/UP. But the plates certainly didn't seem to overpower the board at all - and I was running sleds through bumps with the same set-up. It's a great board.

I'd really like to try an Axis though.