Note to New Members ×

OT - NHL lockout affect anyone?

ARCrider

I don't think it'll affect the slopes much. Most of the games are in the evening. I'm a big hockey fan but the lockout doesn't bother me one bit. The only people I feel bad for are the rink workers and bar owners.

I pretty much have boycotted NHL games over the past 3 seasons. I hope this lockout puts 5-6 franchises out of business, forcing an over-supply of players and overall fan apathy. Market conditions have to change for this game to be affordable to the average fan. I used to own Leafs season tix but gave them up when they moved to the ACC, jacked the prices up and wouldn't guarantee me the same level of seats that I had at MLG.

I don't like to watch hockey, except when it's the playoffs or with the World Championchip when some friends came over. I think the players are really overpaid and the lockout is good, but knowing how things work, they will only get a minimal pay cut and everything will go back as it was.:( Still, sometimes, miracles happens and maybe they could get the salary they deserve, which is FAR below what they get now.

Guest Randy S.

Its affecting me. I'm going to get my money back for my season tickets which means I can afford to go riding more this season! Yeah!

The Sharks did send me free tickets to an upcoming minor league game they're holding at the Shark Tank. That's kinda cool.

Originally posted by boogieman

Michael shumacher gets about 40 million dollar a year:D (without the extras he gets like ferraris and extra cash for each point he gets)

anyone jalous?

As one of the most dominant drivers in the history of F1, he deserves every penny!!! Although, I'm a little biased. :D

I was really looking forward to watching the Bruins this year. I usually watch every game. Over the past few years they've underperformed...especially in the playoffs....so I was hoping for some redemption. I really thought that this was going to be Joe Thornton's break out year as a true NHL superstar. I guess I'll have to start watching the Celtics mid-week sandwiched between Pat's games. At least they finally have a glimmer of hope with the addition of Gary Payton.

Originally posted by Enzo

As one of the most dominant drivers in the history of F1, he deserves every penny!!! Although, I'm a little biased. :D

Here is a question to ponder...Who is better in their sport, Michael Shumacher or Val Rossi??? I doubt that Michael Shumacher has the balls (though maybe the talent) to step down from the best ride to prove it's not the car

The Ferrari's are extremely reliable and their dominance on the F1 circuit is pretty unbelievable...it helps by having a ridiculous budget of ~$300million. Although, Rubens Barrichello is driving in the same car, why doesn't he have more 1st place finishes?

I've often joked that F1 should play musical chairs...let the cars qualify, then have the drivers switch cars...I'd like to see what Schumi could do in a Minardi.

Have you heard about the Race of Champions?

http://www.imp.mc/rocwebsite/index.htm

It sounds like a big promo event, however it could answer the question as to who is the greatest present day race car driver.

I don't follow motorcycle racing but I've seen Valentino Rossi's name come up in F1 circles. Rumors were he test drove an F1 Ferrari at the Fiorano test track and he clicked off some very impressive times. Did you hear anything about this?

Ferrari in F1, Honda in MotoGP sorta the same huge budget that essentially buys the championship...except that this year Rossi stole it from Honda and gave it to Yamaha. Valentino Rossi has expressed a desire to go F1 racing and if he brings the same drive look out...for Sure there isn't much left for him to accomplish in Moto GP...6 world championships in 8 years...in what is essentially 4 different clases

well a few years ago ( 6-7?) wasn't ferrari sort of in the non place group? then Schumi hopped over and joined them and soon they were winning everything... he has not looked back since

Rossi did turn some quick laps and isn't there going to be a third car next year?? Maybe for him?? I don't really think so but it could be cool.

If he goes four wheels it by his own admittance would be in a rally car which he also had a test in ...he was fast there too fast is fast, doesn't really matter what it is that they drive.

D-sub stated that all pro athletes are way over paid. I know world cup athletes that have to sell sausage at state fairs in the summer in order to get enough money to buy new equipment. I know a lot of pro athetes, in numerious sports that barley make ends meet. But as far as mainstream sports, PGA, NFL, MBL,....... I'd have to agree with you. When the money a rapiest make in one game is enough to feed multiple families for a year, I find that horrible.

too much money for too few people in the mainstream "game sports". too bad we haven't found a way to equalize pay

Another issue I have with "Hockey in Canada" is that it robs the athletic talent pool of the country. Scouts are looking for younger and younger talent at arenas everywhere. There should be ski and snowboard scouts going to arenas to at least pick up hockey burnouts or NHL wannabees when they realize they're not going all the way. Is there such a thing as a snowboard scout??

Sometimes I wonder what kind of snowboarder Gretzky would have been or if not him some of the other marquee players.

All the elite athletes I've ever known can be adept at any sport.

Muscle control, coordination, balance and the ability to get in the zone are what they have in common. along with some fierce determination to do whatever it takes.

Guest boogieman

well a few years ago ( 6-7?) wasn't ferrari sort of in the non place group? then Schumi hopped over and joined them and soon they were winning everything... he has not looked back since

Jean todd joined ferrari also dont forget that hes the guy that made renault 10 times world champion 10 years aggo with senna and prost then they quited F1(renault), did you ever see a ferrari break down? that does a lot to it to the combination of todd and shummi makes them unbeatable. like 3 years aggo ive seen a race where shummy finished with 40 something seconds ahead to the Nr 2 in the race and thats not only his driving abillities that allows him to do that its the uber car now hes winning with a lot less advance and that not becouse hes driving gets worse but becouse the other car manufacturers are catching up with ferrari

And it all depends on howmuch money they can make on the back of atlethes the more they can get from them the more they will pay him and its true that the big guys make way to much money and the small guys have a hard time surviving they should equalize a little but its all about the business and the money no more no less

Originally posted by ARCrider

There should be ski and snowboard scouts going to arenas to at least pick up hockey burnouts or NHL wannabees when they realize they're not going all the way. Is there such a thing as a snowboard scout??

I don't believe there are any "scouts" as in pro team sports, but there are plenty of coaches--at ski academies, prep schools, and colleges searching for top notch talent.