Note to New Members ×

The oldest board you are still ridding?

Pokolikrat

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though originally too soft, I stiffened it with Sims (Tinkler) SnowStix.

Have kept the board reasonably maintained, and with my huge-sole, (sorta) new, 30.5 AT boots, I think its width and floater nose will be great on soft snow days.

Hope to find out soon!

BB

I just sold my newest board, 5yr old Maddbx.:(

The oldest that still sees snow on deep days, "92 grocer

Go to boards now that the madd's gone all +/-10yrs

165 nidecker escape, 167 24/7kildyflex, 173 Identity AM, 173 Identity AM carbon(soon to inherit kildyflex plate), 178 oxygen summit, 185 Identity GS carbon race, 173 FP, 2 aysm primes and asym alp used on rare occasions.

1-3 boards used per day at 40-50 days a season.

:o

But I've "babied" both Volants (162 and 173) and they still get out 3-5 times/year.( Less than 50 days each) Decent rides IMHO

But not as hot as my favorite dust collector:

Red TeamFP (184ish). This was too stiff for me for five seasons, now that it's perfect I restrict my exuberance to less than 10 days a year on this rocket, it has probably 50-60 days on it. I prefer it to my goto 186 PR which is a regular ride.

Pure Carve Maverick as the early season board, or when I feel a need for "woody".

About once per year I step on my 1st alpine board, Hooger Booger Grinder, which should be one of the first 4x4 insert boards. It's more for sentimental reasons and for the beauty of the graphics.

I have an Alp 169 and a Killer Loop 159 that serve as the loaners.

I don't know the exact year of manyfacture on any of those boards...

When it's fresh and deep here in Utah I still break out the 1984 Winterstick. But how it is now (Jan. 12, 2010) it's hard and slim snow and I have been trenching on my PJ asym now that I have had the bail binding welded. Anyone with these 5 hole old binders in the back of their garage I would be interested in purchasing them before I break another bail. Thanks. markj67(at)gmail(dot)com.:)

I have a few early 1990s twintips and a few milennium 2000 boards, but everything else in my collection is 05 or newer. Saddly though, 3 of the 4 boards I've broken in the past 2 years have been the "newer" stuff. I think it just proves again how the overall quality has gone down in production boards from a few companies because they obviously make their money by selling more snowboards, and want to remain in business doing such.

Some of the olderboards are a lot more fun to ride IMHO.

Also.. if I said I still ride a SNURFER; I'd likely be shot on sight by a few people... LOL.

But I've "babied" both Volants (162 and 173) and they still get out 3-5 times/year.( Less than 50 days each) Decent rides IMHO

But not as hot as my favorite dust collector:

Red TeamFP (184ish). This was too stiff for me for five seasons, now that it's perfect I restrict my exuberance to less than 10 days a year on this rocket, it has probably 50-60 days on it. I prefer it to my goto 186 PR which is a regular ride.

I guess it's relative, 3 times a year is a dust collector to me.

I don't have a rock board other than one I just ordered but that's a softboot ride so I was not including that

I would say that any board more than 300 days on it could be considered as old :rolleyes: Rest are just in normal life span youngsters.

Only board i never got that milage was my Virus Nightmare in mid ninenteens. It looked like to have full camber on last day even body was totally damaged when my wife was riding it.

Nowadays there is no change for my boards to get same numbers, boards are changing so often due continous rapid development, exatiment, less days per winter and more cash on hands :ices_ange

My powder early/late season rock board is a mid/late 80's Hooger Booger Grinder. I counted over 100 holes in it from mounting reg/goofy, different stances, different angles. I ride it mounted Monoski style.I paid .99 Cents on Ebay for it years ago. It still is about the best powder tool I've ever rode. With that long Old School nose and rounded/kicked tail it holds it's own with the best of the current stuff. Newer isn't always better...

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

post-1451-141842297351_thumb.jpg

Haha, That's great! :lol: On rare occassion I still ride my '93-ish Burton Asym Air with 3-strap bindings and even older Burton Comp boots that are held together with layers of duct tape and a peculiar crust. It's my only soft boot setup. Given how rarely I ride in softboots, I just can't seem to justify getting a newer setup.

I picked up a 162 Volant for cheap before this season started that was virtually brand new as a budget SL board since I'm a poor college kid. I would agree that it's a decent ride. :)