Note to New Members ×

Binding to Board Decisions...

fishrising

Ok, so I just got my new ride and I need to decide which bindings to put on which deck...

Board #1: Heavy Tools 173cm x 19cm x 9m, appx. 8.0+ stiffness (Donek scale)

Board #2: Donek Tucker GS 186cm x 17.5cm x 15m, 9.6 stiffness (Donek index)

Binding #1: TD1s, 2 x 0,3,6 cants, 4 x 3 different bumpers (soon to be SIs)

Binding #2: Catek Olympic SIs (won at ECES '04!)

Any suggestions on which bindings to put on which board? Based on the flex of the board versus the binding? Or, the sidecut? Or, the binding angles?

My gut says TD1s on the HT173 and the Donek gets the Cateks...but please give me your opinions...

Don't put the TD1s on the Donek unless you put something between the cant disk and the deck. Otherwise the hard edge of the cant disk can cut through the thin Donek top sheet. Sean Martin might be able to send you some P-tex disks to put between the deck and the disks, and these work fine.

I rode that 186 with TD1s and then Catek SIs. I'd definitely go with the Cateks on the long board and slap the TDs on the Heavy Tools.

swt

('t' as in Tucker)

I believe this was one of your backup boards...showns no signs of seeing snow, but you can see that some bindings were mounted. I look forward to riding it, although my mondo size 31 boots on it's 17.5 waist are going to make it feel like a slalom waterski! I will put the cateks on it...

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

Don't put the TD1s on the Donek unless you put something between the cant disk and the deck. Otherwise the hard edge of the cant disk can cut through the thin Donek top sheet. Sean Martin might be able to send you some P-tex disks to put between the deck and the disks, and these work fine.

Not true. The only reason you would ever have a top sheet with damage is because you don't keep your bolts tight, and the disk has a chance to roll around on the board. If you tighten the bolts after a day of riding, it should be fine.

This was a big rumor going around a few years ago, and got way out of control.

it happens with all boards and bindings eventually with metal bindings keep em tight

it happens with plastic bindings too

I would recomend the cateks on the longer boards the reason being that I need to fine my canting the longer a board is because I try to widen my stance on the long stuff