D-Sub

what did you ride before you got an alpine snowboard setup  

85 members have voted

1. 1. what did you ride before you got an alpine snowboard setup

• skis only before
    • soft boots / freestyle / freeride setup before
    • always done BOTH
    • I like burritos
    • Straight to the good stuff (hardboots day 1)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's for real and ready to ride. This is my second pair, the first ones were made out of a pair Elan's. They worked well in the softer stuff, but weren't tortionally stiff enough in the hard pack. This pair is much stiffer tortionally. After the first pair, I'm more excited about trying these out than my new Donek or Coiler (I know they'll work well). The 'ski board' is very stable on the flats because you have the stiffness and directional stability of two skis and when you put it up on edge, it softens up and turns easily because you're only using one ski. It is funny to look down and see the ski that's not in contact with the snow kind of flapping in the breeze.

someone edited my poll...I didnt know you could do that.

my point wasnt to get people's life histories

I just notice a slight "anti snowboarder" stance here...but...carving IS snowboarding!

some of it was starting to get to me so I wanted to see. But...there arent as many straight from skiiing guys here, so I guess thats not why

Guest boogieman

born in 1981

started skiing in 84

Started snowboarding with soft boots in 94 (didnt like it to much tried a alpine at the end of my vakation and i loved it !

so i Bought it, ( nidecker extreme 161 sl )

since that day i never put skies on again but now with the carving skies i would like to try it again but the boots you can rent always suck and i cant afford to buy myself snowboard and skiing equipment so ill just stick with boarding i gues, ill try it again this year i got myself some upz rsv superlight boots and it seems that you can skie with them also so ill try it out see what it gives

Born in 1962

First skied in 1981

Bought first snowboard in 2002

Landed on head too often while trying to jib, found religon and switched to hard boots in late 2002.

Oh ya, definitely going to try skiing again this year. I bought a pair of boots last spring and they fit like butter. Amazing how far ski boots have come along in comfort. Previous boots were 10 years old.

Born 1983.

Rented a board at a "All Nighter" trip to Wilmot Mountain in 1996. This was my forst time at a "real" ski hill and my first time on a board.

Ran NASTAR in 99. Beat all my friends. Learned I liked speed.

Got on plates finally in 01. Still on a freeride board though.

Finally got a full Alpine setup (Factory prime, Burton Race Plates, Burton Reactors) in 02.

Last year was almost exclusively on plates. Only plan on using freestyle board in Powder this year.

Originally posted by D-Sub

I just notice a slight "anti snowboarder" stance here...but...carving IS snowboarding!

some of it was starting to get to me so I wanted to see. But...there arent as many straight from skiiing guys here, so I guess thats not why

I think your original thought is correct - most of the people here may not be straight from skiing... but they spent most of their "formative" years as skiiers and from what I read, it looks like most of them were never very into freestyle/freeride setups and jumped at the chance to go back to hard shells. I mean most people spent many more years on skis than in softboot and then again more time in hardboots. Also the "snowboarder only" group tend to be younger it seems (partially because most here people started before mainstream snowboards existed)... Here's a consolidated listing of the first couple of posts:

started skiing in 1968. started snowboarding in 1986. first hard boots in 1989

Started softbooting in 1994, went alpine about 2002

started on softboots from 1993 until 1998, when I had my first alpine board, then half-half until 2002, now full time alpine.

Started skiing in 83' at 38, tried softies in 90' at 45, was carving on softies in 92, and in hard boots by 94.

Skis starting in '85, softies starting in '95, a couple half-days on plates in '01, mostly plates last season.

skis in the early 70's, tried soft boots in 94 for a total of 4 trips up the mtn. I rode alpine only for 8 years.

So that's 18 years on skis, then 3 years on softboots, and finally 15 years on hardboots.

8 years of softboots, 2 on hardboots (note: 16 years old)

7 years softboots, 2 years hardboots. (note: 25 years old)

7 years of skiing, the 2 years on softboots, and 10 on hardboots. 10 years skis, 6 years softboots, 3 years hardboots.

24 years on skis, 4 days on softboots, 8 years in hardbooters.

It goes on and on... but as you can see... most people here are are more "mature" in age and seemed to use softboots as more of a stepping stone than anything else. So I would say that the demographics seem to fit your theory about old-school skiier mentality. I started snowboarding in the tail-end of the "old school" period just as snowboarding was becoming mainstream I think (mid-90s) so I did notice a little bit of the snobby skiier dynamic, but it got much more chill in college (97-01) where we ran a snowboarding club that completely welcomed skiiers to join us on trip (we didn't even pressure them to switch over... well not much). On our trips, 1 out of 4 was a skiier and we never had any problems of skiier/snowboard snobbery.

I feel like, everyone under 30 knows the "old history" between skiiers and snowboarders, but it's more like a half-joke about the past than a real rivalry - like children who are friends despite their parents having grudges against each other.

I was. I tried skiing once. hated it. Mostly due to facing forward not feeling right to me since Ive been skateboarding since 1981.

anyway...yes...I get the point!

the motivation for the question was the apparent disdain expressed for "them"...

its like...snowboarding started out...and then this group of old dudes came along and focused on a microscopic aspect of it, and turned up their noses at the "others"

just like skiers do with snowboarders in general.

it just irks me

My progression was softboots then hardboots like many of you here. However I tried skiing for the first time a few times this past season, and I liked it a lot. I was able to link carved turns pretty easily on green/blue runs and the forward facing stance did not seem too foreign, as I've really taught myself to crank way around, especially on my heelsides. Anyway, carving is still my passion, I'll just ski occasionally :p

Originally posted by D-Sub

I was. I tried skiing once. hated it. Mostly due to facing forward not feeling right to me since Ive been skateboarding since 1981.

anyway...yes...I get the point!

the motivation for the question was the apparent disdain expressed for "them"...

its like...snowboarding started out...and then this group of old dudes came along and focused on a microscopic aspect of it, and turned up their noses at the "others"

just like skiers do with snowboarders in general.

it just irks me

Heh... sorry, I often get overzealous in researching the evidence to back up my claims. I included a lot of evidence so someone wouldn't go back and try say that my data was incomplete.

I have an unusual pedigree as I started out as a rollerblader - both aggressive (aka freestyle) and hockey. Played a bit of ice hockey as well. Freestyle skateboard just never appealed to me. I did a tiny bit of skiing, but felt like skis were a lot like ice skates, but the extra length and stability made the better for bombing (straight skis) and not quick manuevrability of like slicing an arc path across the ice rink to blast by defenseme in hockey). I only like speed in that it gives me manueverability and freedom in the rink or on the slopes. I like to "play" on the slopes... whether it be doing jumps, in the halfpipe, or carving up a groomed run. So freestyle, freeride and alpine all provide different ways to "play." This summer I got my first longboard skateboard as a crosstrainer and I like how I can carve/turn it like a snowboard. Finally, I've come FULL CIRCLE and my friend gave me an extra freestyle deck to me to practice ollieing (I never tried to learn really). I doubt I'm going to spend much time on the freestyle skatedeck once I've mastered ollies, but who knows.

Getting back to the point (it takes me a while to do that). I too am annoyed by the occasional sense of snobbery. I mean I'm sure many teenagers can even worse when they make fun of carvers... but with the age differential being like +20 years, I expect we as the older, more mature group to take the high road - and for the most part we do - although I find the "I laughed harder as I carved down the rest of the mountain" line to be disingenuous. If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have remembered it and posted it online to talk about it. I'm sure I've been made fun of a few times on my alpine setup or longboarding down a road by from kids on their freestyle skateboard decks - I forget about the jeers almost immediately after they are said. You shouldn't bear a grudge and lash back when you get the chance - let it the ignorance pass by you.

I've seen other instance where people are not as open-minded as they are here on BOL - there is a Longboard Skateboard site called www.silverfishlongboarding.com that has a similar freestyle vs carving dynamic - and there I watched a 45 years old man get into a flame war with a 14 year old girl and then like two 16-18 year old boy who were just goading him on and on. Sure the kids were completely punks... but they are teenagers, it isn't too far a stretch for them... but it's just kind of pathetic for a grown man to be dragged into doing the same things as misbehaving children.

Im not gonna read those links:) see enough flame wars as is

my point is this:

there is a history to this. same goes for skateboarding. street and vert skating are 100% legitimate and take immense effort, skill, stamina, etc.

same goes for freeride setups...freestyle...whatever. While I prefer a skateboard if Im gonna ride a halfpipe (Im not very proficient really anyway) and I dont really dig the "gangsta" or rock star aspect of commercial snowboarding, they are still parts of the same sport

so...the 45 year old...my issue with him wouldnt be that he got into a flame war...it would be that he felt the need to bash what in essence are the origins of what he is doing now. Carving skateboards came from the same place that all other skateboards came from: surfing.

snowboards all have a common origin as well...right between surfing and snowboarding, no?

anyway...thanks for the detailed posts lonerider

'Them' are Them using the foul language, Them sitting in a group right in the middle of a run, Them coming out of the trees into a run in front of you, Them running over your ride in the lift line, Them walking off with your ride and saying " oh, it looks just like mine", etc. I think most of Them have matured or moved on to other things because I don't see it as much as I used to, but it was pretty bad back in the mid 90's. We have a local mountain, closer than the one I go to now, that I quit going to because I didn't want to be associated with Them.