D-Sub

what did you ride before you got an alpine snowboard setup  

85 members have voted

1. 1. what did you ride before you got an alpine snowboard setup

• skis only before
    • soft boots / freestyle / freeride setup before
    • always done BOTH
    • I like burritos
    • Straight to the good stuff (hardboots day 1)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Randy S.

Um. What if there was no alpine when we started snowboarding? That wasn't an option (or is that the burrito option?).

Let's see. I started skiing in 1968. I started snowboarding in 1986. I got my first hard boots in 1989. Which answer do I choose?

ahahahahhahaha!

well...youd choose BOTH really. and a burrito

part of my reason for the poll is...there's sometimes an air of elitism here sorta...somewhat snobby at times, toward "those guys" (the freeride/freestyle riders) and it reminds me very much of the crap I used to get from skiers when I started in 1990...

I started riding skis in the early 70's, competed in GS through the 80s and early 90s. I tried soft boots in 94 for a total of 4 trips up the mtn. I just didn't like the feel of softies, not a direct edge connection like in ski boots. I went to Mammoth in 95 and saw my first carver rippin' turns down Stump Alley. I knew then that is what I wanted to do on a snowboard. I rode alpine only for 8 years.

Last year, my brother talked me into trying the some shaped skis, since then I bought some shaped skis and new boots and now I switch back and forth between the alpine boards and the skis.

ive been skiing since 85, started on softies in about 96 or so i think, then got on an alpine board 2 seasons ago at the very end. Anyways, when i started on softies i wanted to be on an alpine board but could never afford it. Either way it was still a ton of fun, but now that i have an alpine board i almost never use the freestyle board but i switch back and forth on skis still probably an average of 4 times each day i'm on the hill. It's simple, if i find some terrain i think would be fun on skis, i swap out until im bored, then i switch back, or the other way around.

I always carved, from my first season on softboots, after I managed to become intermediate, my angles on my bindings just kept going up and up, until last year, all I did was carve the groomers with a soft boot set up at 50/45, then I took interest in alpine because of a combination of World Cup racing, people I saw on the hill a local shop with beautiful Priors, and of course the internet, so I found Jasey Jay's site, then extremecarving.com, then bomberonline all in a day!

Went skiing like three times when I was young... switched to snowboarding in high school ski trip and never looked back. In college, we did a lot of freestyle (except when the New England snow was nice... yea). We always saw a few hardbooters once or twice a season and always wanted to try out the stuff for a weekend... but was never able to find a place to rent it (we didn't search that hard).

While doing a lot of freestyle I started getting into the "carving" mindset from my friend Blake as suggested I try big wide, fast arc'ing turns from trail edge to trail edge as he found it fun to do.

Jump forward a couple of seasons and going from the East to West coast. With the relatively "awesome" snow conditions, I start spending a lot more time outside the park (doing like a 50/50 freeride/freestyle split as opposed to the previous 25/75 split) and I moved up to a longer and stiffer Salomon definition. I'm carving deeper and deeper trenches such that my friends remark they can feel a "bump" when they ride over my tracks (one manages to pearl his board over a particularly deep rut I made). On the mountain (Kirkwood) I meet some hardbooters who suggest I check out hardbooting - and so I search online for information about hardbooting gear (which is much more attainable now that I have a steady job)... and here I am.

I think I will keep an even split between freestyle, freeriding, and freecarving. Just by my nature I tend to burn out quickly if I stick to a single thing all that time (I was getting a little tired of just freeriding all the time before I rediscovered freestyle and found freecarving).

I'm mean right now I'm playing ice hockey, longboard skateboarding, rock climbing, and getting powerlifting lessons. I basically rotate my "emphasis" between my activities to keep myself from getting mental and physically "over-adapted."

Guest thomas_m

Newby here.

I started boarding last February 2nd in softboots(didn't know any better). Stumbled on this site and bought an alpine rig in April. Ended up with 30ish days which I'll double this season.

I'd never even touched a ski or snowboard before the day first boarded in Feb. I'm now kicking my own ass over the 9 years we had lived here and never gone to the mountain 40 minutes from our house...

T.

- Started surfing in about '82 (anything from 8'0" - 9'6" - long boards only!)

- Softie set-up in '90 (Burton Flex w/Comp boot - pretty stiff freeride boot for the time!) - a couple of different free-ride decks

- Transitioned that boot/binding interface w/Burton M6 in '91

- Hard boots/plates in '92 (M6 & PJ)

...oh, downhill skiied once during my 1st year in college ('88) - didn't care for it too much. Seemed more natural with both feet on one plank;)

Does a swallow-tail Burton Elite 150 and LL Bean duck boots count as a softboot freeride setup? I guess so. I went from that to a Safari, to a PJ 7, all on softboots and 3-straps. In the fall of '91 I got hardboots. My first freestyle board was a '94 Air 6.0. I skied from 3 to 14.

I liked burritos first so that is how I voted.

Skied after that. Alpine skies to teles to alpine again. Only the second time on alpine was on a board. Have never been in soft boots.

Originally posted by k_t

I liked burritos first so that is how I voted.

Skied after that. Alpine skies to teles to alpine again. Only the second time on alpine was on a board. Have never been in soft boots.

ok...burritos it is! asada anyone? (me, Im a vegetarian)

but...k_t is sorta the first that I caught that went skis directly to a hardboot setup

so...k-t...do you see say stuff like "****in snowboarders" and the like?

:)

Guest AlpentalRider

started skiing in 90 (late bloomer)

softbooted in 95 (promptly gave up skiing)

hardbooted in 02

My throwing in the towel on skiing came because within a season of snowboarding, I was able to ride double diamond runs which had previously taken me 3 years to get proficient at on skis. Not to mention the feel of snowboarding felt so much better to me then skis.

I ride softboots 70% of the time, and hardboots 30%. I'm primarily a backcountry rider in my softies setup. But if it's a crappy day, I bust out my alpine gear and play in the groomers

lets see...

I'm 33...

started sledding at about 3 or 4

started skiing in 7th grade...

started really skiing in college (Bates)...

Started boarding about 10 years ago...

Started Alpine the next year...

Started Teleboarding 5 years ago...

Started Tele skiing 4 years ago...

Tried a snowdeck last year...

All are good ways to get down a hill...

I still do all of them...

Anybody got any Ideas for whats next?

-Noah