Note to New Members ×

snow

P06781

I did 3 days there last year (3+ hrs from pdx). It is has the best views of any NW ski area. It is just next to Mt Rainier, separated by a river valley. It is an awesome area and plan to go back again as i have a niece in tacoma. I helped out with ussa races there last as a course maintance worker though Sean from snowperformance. You need to check it out , although midweek days are best as it gets a big seattle crowd.

Jim

post-219-141842198596_thumb.jpg

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by D-Sub

man...crystal mtn looks like it has some SICK back country!

who rides there? Im guessing its mostly fog and coastal concrete?

I ride there and Snoqualmie Summit. Crystal ranges from (wettish) powder to spring slop. I did 10 days there last season and never had any fog, some low vis due to snow though. Very easy access to backcountry(ish) bowls. Groomers and trees too. Lots of moguls and up and down runs that were hard for an intermediate boarder(like me).

They are expanding, opening more runs sometime soon. I read that their plan was approved by the powers that be.

We had a fun Washington carvers day there at the end of last season.

Expensive season passes for around here

:(

T.

Originally posted by P06781

It is has the best views of any NW ski area.

that pic is utterly breathtaking. wow.

If I pull this thing off in Bend, Im gonna have to come up to Crystal:)

yeah...I looked at pass prices. Thats VERY high for a local access mountain. I was surprised at that. Im sure they offer early season specials tho, no?

I was actually looking at housing in Enumclaw, but I kept hearing that it was just like seattle...always raining, all winter, and I just dont have any desire to deal with that sort of thing.

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by Derf

Is it me, or that pic from Timberline posted by P06781 looks like the hotel from The Shining?

Derf

It was... From their website:

Was the movie "The Shining" filmed at Timberline Lodge?

Yes, part of it was. The front of Timberline Lodge was used for the "second unit" shots (outside shots). The snowcat shots were filmed on West Leg Road leading to Timberline Lodge. All other outside shots were filmed at a studio in England, including the maze . The inside inspirations came from the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO. During a stay at the Stanley Hotel, The Shining's author, Stephen King came with the film idea. He presented the idea to director Stanley Kubrich. When asked about properties that could be used for the movie Kubrick answered, "Take me to this place." Kubrick was holding the famous Ray Atkeson photograph taken of Timberline lodge in moonlight.

Originally posted by Derf

Is it me, or that pic from Timberline posted by P06781 looks like the hotel from The Shining?

Derf

That's because it *is* the hotel from the Shining (despite the movie being set in Colorado)... but only the exterior. The interior is a different place (it's not a super swanky hotel inside at all) and there is no maze garden

"Heads Up" to locals in the Portland Vancouver area. Get your passes taken care of soon or miss out on the 400$ season passes at Mt Hood Meadows. I have a couple guys ready to rock, so if someone wants to help lead and or join a group let me know soon. I am happy to put folks together , please be ready with money in hand when you call. I do not , or can not actually lead another group, however , since people are contacting me allot it seems a natural to act as a " Clearing House" of sorts.

Be ready to RIP!!! Thanks, Bryan

Check this link for the specifics.

http://www.skihood.com/Pricing/SeasonPasses/4buy4/default.aspx

Yeah, Brighton is a pretty fun mountain overall, though not a lot of wide, steep carving terrain. Some very fun spots after a big dump though and you can access just about all of it (except Millicent) from high-speed quads - that's Brighton's real strength. It'll probably be mid-November (at the earliest) before anything opens around here. I REALLY wish I could take a quick trip to Mammoth though - so many good memories riding that place these past couple of seasons! I'm gonna try to get up there this season again, probably around March.

Hey Dave, I am actually in WA. I ride Hood mostly.

Hope you make it to Bend. Great town, great riders, great mountain. I put in as many days as possible at Bachelor, typically they have more sunny days, better grooming and better (drier) snow than Hood. It is however several hours further away. I can definitely recommend the area. If Bend can provide you with an income it is a great balance. Not too big, not too expensive, yet excellent sports play ground and a great place to live. I.E , raise a family, healthy etc.

Take care. Bryan

Im really lookin forward to gettin up there.

as for a living...well...hoping I can transplant what Im currently doing here (selling music gear)...and I have a few other tricks (computer repair and music production) so...hopefully itll pan out! Might have to scrimp a little but it sounds like it will be worth it