• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.bootfitters.com/eliminator.htm

I was thinking of commenting on this earlier in the thread but refrained

I didn't have a shin bang issue when I started using these but have come to really love this product

I ride a full bake wrap liner and these work GREAT with this set up. I find them to make for a much more comfortable ride but the bonus for me is the heal lock they provide (big surprise there) and the added leverage they add to the upper part of the boot in a turn.

Anyone riding a wrap liner should try these even if shin bang is not an issue

I've never tried them with a liner that has a tongue

Time to see sure foot! and figure out whats going on with your boots..dunno..

ton of info here.. only you can feel what the heck is going on....something is up but until people really see it.. then we won't know..

the only thing if nothing is working is binding canting and angles which forces an unusual pressure.. and your fighting something. There is a solution..

RSS

Having tried most of the boots that are currently available I probably wouldn't have picked the Heads if i was a" 5'4'', 120 lbs. skinny asian guy." I found that they tend to fit a bit wider foot.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but getting a wide boot to fit a skinny foot and work properly is a lot tougher than the other way around. Might explain why you are getting shin bang, looseness at the ankles and have to tighten the boots to the point of almost putting your feet to sleep.

I love the fit of my Head boots but you might be better served in a Deelux or Raichle. They tend to fit a bit narrower.

Having tried most of the boots that are currently available I probably wouldn't have picked the Heads if i was a" 5'4'', 120 lbs. skinny asian guy." I found that they tend to fit a bit wider foot.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but getting a wide boot to fit a skinny foot and work properly is a lot tougher than the other way around. Might explain why you are getting shin bang, looseness at the ankles and have to tighten the boots to the point of almost putting your feet to sleep.

I love the fit of my Head boots but you might be better served in a Deelux or Raichle. They tend to fit a bit narrower.

agree with this and have tried them all too... I ride UPZ boots due to a very narrow foot

lowest volume boot I've found

sounds to me like your boots are TOO BIG

Yeah, it's kind of a disappointing thought when you've had the bootfitters hold your hand from the very start.

Told the dude that from self-measuring, I was in the high 23s, and he told me not to worry about it. Everything else he said during the initial bootfitting process was spot-on, so I couldn't help but think he knew all when he said 24 was the right size for me. Now, I'm starting to fret :(

shave your legs. i have shaved my shins for years adn it nearly eliminates shin rub. the first days each year are always a little sensative but a week of rest after that first hard day on snow and shins are fine to ride every other day or so for the rest of the season. Keep boots snug with a booster strap. i am pretty skinny too 5'8 and 140 with very skinny legs.

Thankyou Skully for "getting it". :eplus2:

Man, its almost too easy to mess with people sometimes...... SOrry to those who took my "shaving" comment as gospel/law/opinionated advice ;)

Not everyone has to be so serious all the time. Its supposed to be a place for information, comrodery and fun on the BOL forum!

WUN,

I agree with what Jose said as he expanded upon what I was pointing to about stance and boot/ body alignment. It realy does come down to boot fit, and howmuch movement you have in them. In rough conditions my Head boots bang me up good if Im too tight in them, or if the powerstrap is not adjusted to match my need for the slope. I ask what socks you wear because I found some were better than others and would not cause any issues against my skin (as there appears to be deep imprints in your skin from such). THere is an adjustment on the back of the boot that allows you to move the upper part of the boot forward and angle it off of the ankle adjustment hinge to give a more noticeable forward lean to the boot when looking at it from the side. (consult owners manual for how to adjust)

dude, you mentioned shaving legs in what appears to be a sincere manner, then socks and stance as well. all could be taken as a joke to a different degree but you make wet brained suggestions so often such as wanting a 30 cm wide board for yourself. suggesting a 16 cm wide deck for a racer or many of your other gems we have no choice to take what you say literally and be clear that what you say is clearly BS.

remember when you claimed TD1s only came flat with no lift options?

more to the point here though is that now you're focusing on socks, yeah, okay, well, if your socks are a issue then it's clear you have a fit issue as well.

****, ask some older racers about socks and they will say if you can fit anything other than a liner sock in your boot it's too big. I am not that extreme but it's close to the mark.

now again you're saying to make adjustments to alignment. you're doing the rider a dis-service. if you have a well fitted boot any half sane stance, alignment or canting should not cause bang.

lack of volume is usually the culprit for me and was the first thing any of the shops I have worked in have focused on. usually some boot foam in there does it.

tongue liners really can be a pain in this area where wraps are dead simple. tongues can move around with really high or low volume legs and can give some real issues that you either have to add volume to the tongue or make it stop moving. I personally had issues with burton tongues moving. total pain! literally!

heheh.

anyway, after riding four days in a row, it's quite apparent that shaving my legs won't do anything for my case. also, a day and a half after my last session, i'm almost already healed up, so i can afford to live with this shinbang for quite a while until i find out a fix. it's weird though, 'cause i get pretty nasty chafing.

used to shave

prefer waxing now

what worked for me was boot size and fit.

race fit, shortest sole length possible, one finger between naked heel and shell, wearing just the shell no liner, toe touching front of shell. then good fitter to custom fit for width. get a fit guarantee so you can go back for further fitting after slope testing for sore spots. heel wedge between shell and liner. booster strap. thin socks, smooth on the inside, no patterns to be imprinted.

stancewise front toe lift and rear heel lift works for me.

boot must flex with your ankle. and your ankle must flex.

I weigh 200lbs and its easy for me to flex my boot. If you can't then you or your fitter should look into softening your boot. softer tongue or some custom dremel work to allow boot to flex.

and I was serious about the waxing. I get my daughter to wax from the knees down. might get more of the legs done next time. better for massage treatments.

good luck. I know how it feels. had to resort to moleskin over my own missing skin before. I would get used to the pain until my wife would ask how my shins were.

I sometimes get sore shins, the back more than the front, at the start of the season. I just chuck some Ibuprofen gell on it and after three or four days continuous riding the problem just goes away. I assume that's just my shins getting used to getting hammered.

I mention this because if I was to ride (say) a few weekends a year only, then I suppose I'd have continual shin-bang issues, but as I don't ride that way it's not a problem.

Not sure that helps now I've written it but there it is.

I don't think it's much to do with type of snow as sometimes I'll start on piste and sometimes on powder, but the issue's the same and it goes away just as fast.

I don't go for hysterically tight boots, but I'm not convinced that would work anyway. Even if you were rolling about inside your boots (which we would not want for other reasons), when you pressure the edge you're pushing the front of the boot, so tightness makes no odds in my view.

(Oh yes, saw two other hard booters at Silver Star today, which is two more than I saw when I was last here in 1992.)

gonna have another session or two before finally deciding to actually throw down for BTS. in the mean time, i still have some questions.

You do not have the ability to “tune” the boot and make it feel the way you want it to. Sure, you can get softer/harder tongues but they are still not truly adjustable and they tend to be hard to find for most snowboard hardboots.

what's that mean?

since the BTS allows rearward flex toward the heelside, does that necessarily mean the red springs are softer than no BTS in terms of flex in that direction?

which color springs have the most similar flex range to the stock? i realize this may be very subjective, but which colors should a 120lb rider with 10+ years of snowboarding under his belt and aspiring to progress quickly in alpine boarding use with minimal spring switching in time? let's say that said 120lb rider is already decently aggressive.

i'm sure i have more questions. i'll ask away later as they come back to me.

edit:

oh yeah, and if there's anything that can be explained as to the function of the BTS that isn't explained on its page in the store, please share!