Note to New Members ×

Need some binding help

AlpineUndertaker

I can't seem to find any binding angles that will fit on my RT with a 19cm waist without causing some rear knee pain. I feel great while standing, but if I sit down or kneel down while strapped into my boots and clipped into the bindings, my rear knee feels like its fighting everything else and I want to clip out immediately. I've never had any rear knee pain on my softboot setup with angles up around 35/30.

My concern is that this is my first season in hardboots and I'm certain that any wipe outs or spills will put me in a sitting or kneeling position and in not such a gentle way! I don't want to blow out my rear knee on my first run. I know what some of you are saying - DON'T FALL. But that isn't realistic for my first season.

I'm beginning to wonder if my knees / legs just aren't built for the high angles, or is there some canting that I should try to get into a comfortable position.

Does anyone else experience knee pain (twisting pressure) when sitting or kneeling while clipped in? Am I overworried about this issue or should I have this worked out before taking the new setup to the slopes?

Thanks!

can be caused by a variety things, of course.I have sometimes found when changing from one stance to another that the alignment of my body tends toward the old stance and is fighting against the untwisted posture I try to achieve.When I sit or kneel, which is as little as possible,it is hard to be in an untwisted state and so I will often release my rear foot while I'm hanging out.

As long as it feels good riding, in my own experience, I'm good to go.

sounds like you need heel lift in the binding. you could close up you're stance one hole, but lift is better, keep the width if you can. if not close up, you'd be surprised the difference one hole can make. I tried one of my boards with one hole wider on stance and experienced fatigue right away on the first run. closed it up and instant comfort!

I had a simmilar problem. My knees didn't actually hurt but I dislocated my rear knee twice on a snowboard purely because of forces while riding (I didn't fall).

I fixed the problem (partially) by putting a canting plate on the rear binding (reverse order, so the binding leans out). This way, since I'm a natural supinator, the knee bends in a more natural position.

Of course, this applies only if you are a supinator.

Plus I ride with knee braces on both knees. :D

Thanks for all of the tips, I really apprecaite it. I have searched the forum for similar questions regarding knee pain when sitting or kneeling so I want everyone to know that I did do that first!

I will try canting and stance width next to see if that solves the problem. I am just very concerned with the stress I feel in a controlled environment and how uncontrolled a wipe can be.

I'll keep tweeking to see if any of your advice will help. I beginning to think that there is a magical setup for me that won't cause pain.

Both of my arches in my feet are very high and my ankles roll out not in, so the suggestions posted earlier realted to supination really hit home. I'll try those next and see what happens.

The one thing that I couldn't find in the forum was followup posts from the indiviudals experiencing the same thing to say that they found the right setup to elminiate said pain.

Thanks, and I'm all ears from any other riders who have supinated ankles (which I'm sure translates to my knees).

Have you played around with your angle split? If your feet naturally point out you might try running more split between the front and back foot. Might be hard to get much with a narrow board, but it help me a lot when I started running around 10 deg split. Had similar pain in rear knee and now feels pretty good.