Note to New Members ×

Lovin' the Carvin' - 1st hard boot ride

swissracer

So thanks to a last minute pair of loaner hard boot, today I got to try the Burton Coil that Aaron let me borrow. My first hard boot setup after using a NeverSummer Legacy all-mountain board/soft boot as a carver for a few weeks.

After Chad from Coda left (I'll post about his amazing Sideways std. board later) Andrea let me try Julian's spare boots and luckily they just fit. I went back to lift 7 at Snow Summit to try it all out. It was definetly a little akward feeling as I clipped in and took the first few skidding turns, but overall it felt pretty good being in hard boots.

For the first half of the run I took it really easy and just wanted to see how it felt to skid around and to make sure I could stop when I needed to. Then I let it go...WOW - what a huge difference over my softie carving rig! I cannot belive the difference in edge hold and stability at high cornering loads. Where my board was constantly chattering and washing out especially on heelside (obviously due to some lack of technique of course), the Coil just took it and asked for more. What I really liked is that I could actually recover in the middle of a turn if I made a mistake in for/aft bias or edge control. Once my Legacy lost the edge that was it, but with this board I could actually get it back on edge and continue (okay...not everytime, but a heck of a lot more often than not:)).

Of course it wasn't all roses. I had a really great toeside carve on a steeper pitch and wanted to let it run out of steam going back up the hill. Just as I reached the pinnacle I was planning to just do a quick 180 like I always do on my board. Unfortunately since I'm not used to this board, I ended up catching an edge and smacked my rear end/hip area on the ice harder than I think I have ever before. Isn't it amazing how protective gear always has that one unknown unprotected spot and somehow you find it when you least want to?

I met up with Terry halfway down the first run, and after a few pointers and recovering from my hip structure impact test, we finished the run.

The next run down felt even better except that my legs were starting to turn into wet noodles, and that made it a little hard to keep the recommended form. That's when I decided to call it quits before it stopped being fun - or safe.

Going to get some rest now and add some advil to my system. Can't wait to go back out tomorrow when I'm fresh and hopefully walking normally - you should see the beautiul array of colors on my hip.

Once again a HUGE thanks to you guys for all the help and advice, esp. AAron and Andrea/Julian for the equipment - couldn't have done it without you:biggthump.

The carving comunity is simply the best bunch of guys. I don't know of any other group that would be that willing to help somebody get into the sport. Hats off to all of you!!

Had a really good, sort of breakthrough day at Summit today.

Yesterday I was having a little trouble keeping the back end planted on both toe and heel side (was a bit on the icy side). It felt as if things were trying to pivot around the front foot. I really tried to place even pressure on both front and rear, but it just kept happening. Since it didn't seem to do it that badly the first day, I was starting to wonder what was going on with my form. Then I remembered that it wasn't nearly as icy that first day, so maybe it was masking what was going on. I was beginning to think that maybe the bindings were biased too much to the front. Since the Coda freestyle board I was carving that same day didn't seem to have the issue nearly as much, I checked the setback and noticed that it was about 3/4 inch to the rear.

Today I did a couple of runs on the Coil without any changes just to see if it was just a fluke. Conditions were nearly the same and so were the results. So I tried it with approx 3/4 setback and that made a enormous difference! I was able to really keep pressure on the exit of my heelside, so much so that after a few runs I was really able to feel the "pop" in the transition.

Now all the advice is starting to come together. I was looking up the hill, steering the bike, folding my body, fed all kinds of dollars and really tried not to pet the dog (eventhough he is soooo cute). I was also pinching pencils so hard that I think I broke a few. Low and behold, I was dragging my forearms instead of my gloves:D

I did notice that as soon as I was getting tired that it wasn't nearly as pretty, so I called it quits for the day. But I left on what I would consider a great note. I hope I can do even better tomorrow.

I did see a couple of guys ripping it up on hardboots at lift 7 (just did a couple of runs there today), and really wanted to stop and chat, but by then I was already getting spagetti legs and figured I would end up overdoing it. Today was also the first day my wife and I had off together in over a week, so figured I would spend as much time with her as I could, and that would have definately interupted that.

wow, lots of boarding in already. by the end of this season you'll be pretty damn good on hardboots with the amount of time you're getting in.

Anyway, hopefully you can make it on another Sunday. If you start getting tired of that Coil and want to try a more modern carver (as far as glass boards go) let me know. I have a Donek FCI 171 that isn't getting much use, although I'll probably ride it this Sunday since I broke that Tanker.

wow, lots of boarding in already. by the end of this season you'll be pretty damn good on hardboots with the amount of time you're getting in.

Anyway, hopefully you can make it on another Sunday. If you start getting tired of that Coil and want to try a more modern carver (as far as glass boards go) let me know. I have a Donek FCI 171 that isn't getting much use, although I'll probably ride it this Sunday since I broke that Tanker.

What about that coiler?

Mike, I'm sure you can use one of the boards that my dad and I have.

What about that coiler?

Coiler won't be in until Tuesday.

And yeah, Mike, Andrea and Julian have a TON :eek: of boards waiting to be demoed/used.

I'm thinking I might buy that Tanker 192 that your dad has sitting there 02-03 model it looks like. It'll definitely have to wait until next season though, way way way TOOOO many expenses this year on all sorts of stuff both necessary and unnecessary. I'm putting a cap on the gear spending now, only one new piece of equipment a year. As much as I love snowboarding I really want to stop spending money on it like this, and my constant breaking/abuse of gear is not helping :smashfrea.

Anyway, I'll be on the Donek FCI this Sunday - that board STILL scares and beats me up even after 3-4 seasons on hardboots, then again, I only have 5 days on the board.

Coiler won't be in until Tuesday.

And yeah, Mike, Andrea and Julian have a TON :eek: of boards waiting to be demoed/used.

I'm thinking I might buy that Tanker 192 that your dad has sitting there 02-03 model it looks like. It'll definitely have to wait until next season though, way way way TOOOO many expenses this year on all sorts of stuff both necessary and unnecessary. I'm putting a cap on the gear spending now, only one new piece of equipment a year. As much as I love snowboarding I really want to stop spending money on it like this, and my constant breaking/abuse of gear is not helping :smashfrea.

Anyway, I'll be on the Donek FCI this Sunday - that board STILL scares and beats me up even after 3-4 seasons on hardboots, then again, I only have 5 days on the board.

The sad thing about boards is that you can only ride them one at a time...:(

Like I said, the carving community is simply the best. You guys are so generous...practically throwing boards at me to try :biggthump

It's great to see you're experiencing dramatic improvements. Starting out can be a really fun stage where you reach one "a ha!" moment after another. I still have plenty lol

Then there are the days where you go "what the?!" Today my form was a bit raggedy due to fatigue and the performance showed. Since things were going backwards after a couple of runs, I put away the HB and jumped on the Coda Sideways for a little softboot freestyle skidding and jumping to relax, and Phillip switched to skis so he could do a little coaching for his friend. Of course the occasional carve tried to come into the picture and I had a few impacting lessons about boot out. I'm starting to think my sore hip is magnetically attracted to hard/icy snow :freak3:

Only problem I'm noticing about getting all that time in is that there is no recovery. After the riding yesterday (Phillip and I pretty much wen't non-stop for 4 1/2 hours - save for the beer brake) and I litterally had to drag myself up and down the stairs. The front of my quads and the glutes were so sore I could barely bend over to do anything. Man...I missed that feeling. Reminded me of the old racing days when I did hill sprints and intervals on my road bike for training - lets you know you're alive!

Before I get too spoiled riding other boards, I really want to get the to the point where I can consistently get my heelside carves to stick. I'm pretty happy about my toesides, but I still struggle to get consistent heelsides.

But I certainly would like to try out other boards just to see the difference between lengths, stiffness etc. It will be a great way to see what boards suit me.

Weekends for the rest of Jan. don't look good, I'm hoping Feb will be better.

If you bring a video camera so you have something funny to post on here, I'd love to see what the Rossi 190 feels like:eplus2:. Would probably give me an opportunity to bruise my other hip, just to balance things out.

I'm thinking I might buy that Tanker 192 that your dad has sitting there 02-03 model it looks like
Albert i can bring the tanker sunday if you want to use it
I'd love to see what the Rossi 190 feels like:eplus2:. Would probably give me an opportunity to bruise my other hip, just to balance things out.
Mike, don't take this the wrong way but the rossi 190 might bruise your ego along with your hip, although the oxygen 168 would be a good one to jump on after the burton coil, a little stiffer (not nearly as stiff as the rossi) a little narrower, bigger scr and definitely more hooky than the coil (no round tail) let me know when you'll be up on a sunday and i can bring it if you want to try it
The sad thing about boards is that you can only ride them one at a time...:(
true, but you can ride more than one on the same day

Try the Addicted next.

I'm not using it, and it's basically a narrow racey slalom board.

stiffer than the coil, for sure, but also holds a better edge, etc.

I wouldn't use the Oxygen 168 at summit.

it was hell for me trying to turn that thing in less than the full 13m sidecut, especially in typical summit weather/snow conditions.

I'm thinking about jumping on the WCR if its icey like last time... or the coiler, which ever one you aren't using dad.

Unless its nice and not so icey and not like the 3rd's "race-board" like conditions, I'll stay on my virus, and work on my heel side. :eplus2:

Starting to really understand the pros/cons of stiff/soft (or is it active/damp now?) boards directly related to the snow and riding style.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a short video of a run down Snow Summit's Timber Ridge (lift 7).

Still have a ways to go, but enjoying the heck out of it.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJrVcF5sN4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJrVcF5sN4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>