Anyone see this? (Base grind machine)

D-Sub

Hey D-sub. My old roommate picked one of those up for $100 from a shop that was going out of business here. We were able to take off some off the guide fences for doing edge work and were able to get a snowboard on it. You have to do 2 passes to get wide enough to do a board.

Now...it works fine for my rockboard and when I want to get a real nice base wlde for my p-tex work, but it took a lot of practicing on an old ****ty deck that we threw out when we were done. It is tricky to apply the correct amount of pressure and keep the board running straight. You also have to be careful about how you do the 2-passes so you don't get a small ridge ibn the middle. I did run an old Rossi Throttle on it that had a really bad concave base. It worked great to get the base and edges flat and at 0 degrees, but I had to do quite a bit of hand work on it to get the base back to decent carving condition after running it over the belt. I don't think I would ever use it on my true race boards as it is too hard to make sure you do everything right so you don't massively Fubar your base.

Just realized after lookng at it that it has a stone as well. Probably a good deal, but still have to be really careful.

D-Sub,

Would definetly advise against this. Back in the day (late eighties/early nineties) I worked in a shop that had no board specific machines. They do exist from companies like Grindrite and Wintersteiger. It's real easy to groove the center of bases on half a belt. Also, there are other aspects to take into consideration. Can you still purchase emulsifier for the machine (it won't run long if you don't). Can you get belts and diamond stone cutters. ( The stone cutter isn't a major downside but when they go they're expensive.) Lastly, without some training these puppies can be dangerous--10 becomes nine sort of stuff.

Hope this was helpful.