Note to New Members ×

Downside to a cutout in the tail?

dshack

I took my new coiler swallowtail-ish AM (bought secondhand from tim) out for the first time last week, and it rails! Carves like a dream, soaks up chunky Oregon snow, and floats great in the pow. This is my one-board quiver for Mt. Hood, no questions asked. It's a pretty normal AM shape- 10.5 sidecut, 21.5 waist, but has a triangle maybe 8 inches deep cut out of the middle of the tail.

This got me thinking: is there any downside to a tail cutout, assuming you don't mind not riding switch? Are there durability issues? I'm not worried, since I'm a light guy, but it cranks the ride up so much I'm curious about why we don't see it in other boards.

you should be fine with that board. The split was a manufacturers design and the board was originally designed for hardboots. the boards you would worry about are the big powder guns nitro swallowtails etc. they are to soft through the center of the board and hardboots would likely destroy them sooner than later. Prior makes a nice hardboot swallowtail as well its one off from their powstick line. inch narrower and stiffer. Dredman rides one.

I think its market perception. I love my 4807 with its little fish tail cut out. Most people in the lift line think I am riding an old burton elite tho. ITs percieved as old and somehow dated technology. The Dynastar LEGEND autodrive has a very narrow slit in the tail and is one of the more dynamic technologies out there. ITs no longer made tho since the market didn't want to pay for the tech.

We are in danger of losing the progress we have made in technology to a disposable skateboard deck mentality.:freak3:

We are in danger of losing the progress we have made in technology to a disposable skateboard deck mentality.:freak3:

this is a truly sad thing, I go out of my way now to skate product that goes agains this trend but a result is that good product lasts longer which rarely allows a higher price to make up for the volume that cheap crap supports.

I'm not worried about my board in the least- my question was more "Why don't all manufacturers notch the tails on their all-mountain boards?"

As a guy who handcrafts all CODA boards, the tail cut out is a pain to build because it adds several extra steps to the core fabrication, pressing, and finish shaping of the board.

but... CODA does the deep V tail on all our boards at this time for three main reasons:

1. decrease surface area in tail for powder riding. Creates a more versatile all mountain ride.

2. truly variable flex in the tail when used with our Tail Cable. Tail is soft to engage the carve and then stiffens up to hold the edge when really carving deep.

3. it looks cool!