Note to New Members ×

santa fe / albequerque

ajcannon

I've been looking at relocating to the santa fe / albequerque area...was wondering if any one felt like offering their insights on snowboarding, jobs, housing, or anything else. I'm a structural engineer guy currently looking for jobs out there. My wife is an elementary school principle. The weather and high property taxes have got me down in Iowa.

Is the climate as nice as it seems out there? I spent a week in Taos a few years back during late March and I thought it was amazing (ski taos then drive around in a jeep with the top down in 70 degree weather - go hiking, etc). That's how it was the one time we were out there. Any thoughts would be be appreciated. -Adam

Hey, Adam.... surprised to see you posting here! My .02 ? Go for it! I was out in ABQ for a week this summer visiting my son. We went up the tram to the top of Sandia. At the bottom afterwards we met a group of hang glider pilots loading to take the tram up. What's not to love? Hang gliding whenever, skiing winter, desert, etc.

You going to be doing any riding at Sundown or Chestnut this season?

Yeah...I had a partnership that kind of didn't work out the way I would have liked...so now I am taking some time to get things sorted out. I'm between jobs so if you want to head up to Sundown sometime I am available. I could pick you up in CR. We will be in Florida 12/26 - 1/2, but other than that I am game. Shoot me an email whenever. I got a new titanium board last year that is real nice. Let go up there soon. -Adam

I've been to Santa Fe numerous times and really enjoyed it each time. Ski Santa Fe is not nearly as large as Taos but is only ~20 minutes outside of town and has open mid-week runs. Lots of nice slopes... only negative a few too many moguls for my taste. I've heard the weekends are crowded but I've never been on the weekend.

Oh and I love the food or the region. Yum!

A long boarding, snow boarder in Indiana...I am sorry. Your plight may be similar to mine: I grew up life-gaurding on the east coast Newport, RI, and skiing NH/Vermont/Maine. Now I live in Iowa and my main recreation is going out to eat. I do play a little volleyball but I keep getting fatter and more bored everyday. Thanks for the info on Santa Fe. -Adam

Grew up in Florida... then moved to Providence, RI... I miss the lil Rhody coast <sob>. I was a "local" at Matunuck. Boarded all throughout the NE but spent most of the time at Wachusetts due to its proximity.

If my wife's career wasn't tied to the area I'd be on the first bus outta town.

I'll have to live vicariously through people like you... so move already! :rolleyes:

I've never lived in the NE or Mid-North but I can tell you I'm in love with New Mexico. I don't see myself leaving anytime soon...been here for over five years now.

I've lived in AL, GA, VA, OK, TX, CA, and AK when I was growing up. I was overseas for a few years and ended up in Albuquerque having no idea what New Mexico was like. What a pleasant surprise it's been. It's a true four season place with really mild summers and if you're into outdoors stuff it has so much to offer. The only drawback is the lack of lakes...although if you're into Kiting I think Cochiti has a LOT to offer for that since it's a no-wake lake. I would be all over that but I can't pick up another expensive hobby.

Right now I'm doing longboarding in the summer, snowboarding in the winter, and I'm riding my dirt and street bikes year round.

Late December now and high tommorow is 40 with low 22 in Albuquerque and that's with a big storm coming in. Looks like a white Christmas for us.

I'd personally live in Albuquerque over Santa Fe. More work and cheaper cost of living. Santa Fe is awesome don't get me wrong but I just couldn't afford to live there comfortably.

Taos is better than Ski Santa Fe but I will say Santa Fe rocks for hardbooting. Solid pitch and wide runs. Much better for carving than Angel Fire. I've only carved Taos once but it was pretty darn good. If you could get a job in Santa Fe then you could look for a place north of there in Espanola and then Taos isn't too far of a drive if you want to do a season pass there instead.

The best kept secret in NM for carving? That would be Ski Pajarito in Los Alamos. The runs aren't super wide but every run there has excellent pitch. STEEP! :)

If you come this way look me up and I'll help anyway I can. New Mexico needs more hardbooters! Represent!

Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice. It may be a long-shot for me to find a decent job but it is one I am shooting for...It is the first thing that I have truly been excited about in a while...so I'll keep sending in resumes and keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I'll get an interview out there and be out there yet this winter season. If so I will give you a shout. -Adam

• 3 weeks later...