Note to New Members ×

Any info

Gecko

Some confusion on the name thu...

In Europe, the board was never called the throttle, but the Race alpine aka R159, R167 and R173. The lower end model was just the basic Alpine model...

I'm not sure about the throttle series... Might be post or Pre- those models no?? the previous name of the R series was the Shanon Melhuse R series....and, maybe, the throttle beeing the "lower" end model ( had a blue nose going thin to the tail with the rest beeing silver like... the Shanon has the same but the blue went to the tail in many thin points )

I'll post a pic of shanon on it when I find the time to scan it!

N.

N.

• 1 month later...

On Ebay (using the awesome "Raceboarders.com" ebay button), there are two Rossi VAS boards, one a 167cm and the other a 168cm. A few of us, including myself, are a little bit confused as to model year of our own Rossi's. My board looks like both of the ones at auction but I doubt these are the same model year. Would a manufacturer build two boards so close in length in the same year? I dig my R159 and would consider bidding on either of these (R167 or R168). Anybody know the differences?

or this one

attachment.php?s=&postid=22211

The second rossi photo in the thread

Gecko-

That board was produced by Voiron, in France.

If it is the 166cm board here are the specs.

235mm nose 19.cm waist, 235 tail . 10.5 M sidecut

stance width

15-19 inches.

Used microcell (A hard Polyurethane foam) it had dualtec cap which was a combo of a 90 degree sidewall and a cap (and a total utter failure...lol)

The base was a R9000PE

the MSRP was $464!!!!

I rode that board at a demo and felt it was slower than much of the competition that year from edge to edge and wasn't as lively as previous Rossis- though its edge hold on super packed powder was lightly better. That year it was wider than a lot of its alpine competition. The its width and stiffness made it pretty stable at speed.

Some people liked the dual tec more than the older rossi sidewalls- I didn't feel that way and felt it was a gimmick. (and in theory a dualtec edge would just reduce the effectness of cap anyhow) I prefered the damper ride of previous models- which I felt were more versatile in a wider rangle of snow conditions.

That same year there was a model called the 165cm Rossi "Accelerator" which had hte colors reversed (where ever there was red you saw dark instead and vice versa) that deck was 21cm at the waist and had 10 meter sidecut with a R6000PE base and sold for a whopping $464!!!!! It wasn't dualtec cap it was a full cap. despite its tighter sidecut- it was almost useless for SL turns and prefered GS turns. Its shorter length and stable platform coupled with its preference for easy GS turns made it a decent board to learn on.

________

LUMINA Z34

I have had two throttles and one accelerator all with the foam core--you can see the blue foam through the top sheet now because it has desinagrated. They now ride like a sponge. The polyuerathane microcell foam like the kledgecell foam of the early 80's didn't contain the elasticity for the repeaded flex of skis and snowboards. They were certainally a fun board for the first year or two at least in my case.