Note to New Members ×

Any info

Gecko

Gecko,

Both boards are from '97. The first is a Rossi Accelerator. Rossi claimed it was "for the crossover skier or alpine freerider". More user friendly than the Throttle Dualtec (which is your second board). That one was the predecessor to the Rossi Race. I have the catalogue if you want me to email you the pages of specs. Let me know.

Ted

Not sure which board you're looking at but the Throttle specs are as follows:

156- 132 running length, 9.5 meter sidecut radius, 190 waist, weight range- 110-170lbs

166- 142 running length, 10.5 s.r., 190 waist, weight range- 130-200lbs

171- 148 r.l., 13 meter s.r., 190 waist, weight range- 130-200 lbs

All boards had the microcell core, sintered bases, and internal kevlar. The two smaller ones had a dualtec sidewall and the 171 was sandwich with "phenolic" sidewalls

Hope this all helps.

Ted

The first models with the foam cores.... the Race series used wood until the previous year ( they already switched to crappy monocap construction the same 1996- 97 )... funny how from a great great board ( the 93-96 models ) you can switch to something less good!! Marketing sucks big!

Nils

I have two of the 96' throttle boards. Both are wood core, not foam.

Use the search function at the bottom of the page, try throttle + Hugh and it will bring up one thread from this past July.

A guy that I see often at Kirkwood only rides foam Rossi, because he likes the flex, he confirmed that mine were wood core, true for the 171cm.

---Hugh

yes 96 are monocap/wood..

I tried the yellow race with the foam core, and also the previous white model (foam too ) i found the flex not springy enough... My friend said both boards got twisted after a season...My R159 wood core lasted at least 5 seasons before getting some twist!

N.

I have a rossi throttle 156 -97. It was my first real alpine/race board. It was easy to ride from the beginning. Pretty stable and predictable at slow speeds. Rode it for about 3 years as my only board. Then I thought I wanted a board that could handle more speed. Also, I noticed that the rossi had twisted.

I bought the Elan Ballistic 171 and basicly haven't touched the rossi since. The Ballistic isn't that stiff, and the rossi is like chewing gum compared to the Elan now.

What I'm saying is that I'm a fairly small guy (70kg, 175cm) and I killed that rossi in about three seasons. It was a good board for me to get really into carving, but don't expect it to last very long.

I had the 156 throttle. The 170 is probably a bit different.

--Mikko--

p.s.

Hot Blast GS 178 (03/04) arrived today. More stiffness and lenght. :D

I always like clarification... :cool:

I've got two 171cm Rossi boards (see attached).

I would be super surprised if they turned out to be foam boards. They are heavy in weight, vertical side walls and everyone that rides a foam Rossi says that mine are wood core.

Is there a way to be sure? I'm not cutting one open :(

post-92-141842198566_thumb.jpg

rossiR159.jpg

this is my beloved R159 ( stone board now)

- it is the last rossi Race with sidewalls made of ABS

- it has the nice wood core that keeps it lively

1995-96 : That model, especially the 167 won lots of races and boardercross alike! It is still considered here as the last great rossi race board!

96-97 : Next year RACE model featured: monocap construction and wood core

(I believe it is the year featured on the pics above, but this is not the race model but the alpine model..).

97-98 : That year featured: microcell ( foam core...) and monocap

Over two year they killed the great thing and fewer people bought it !

It is also important not to confuse the two alpine models made by Rossi each of this seasons... there was the R model, and the Alpine model... The later been designed for rental purpose mainly...I assume the alpine model on pics is, yes, maybe a microcell since they had to maybe test it on the less expensive model before switching the Race series to foam too...

To be continued!

N.

I bought a throttle 167 in Vail at Gorsuch for like $220 and it changed my hardbooting completely. Same board as the 2nd photo.There was a pack of us , all on throttles 159, 163, 167, 173 and all Vail/ Beaver Creek locals.Like a pack of wild dogs, terrorizing beautiful Vail groomies. and Chris Karol on a Madd 159. Gecko, buy one. Great board for short money unless it's damp and limp from high miles. Who's the new guy from Portland, ME ? We should meet up at Sunday River for some midweek "all for one pass" carving. I'd like to get the red, white and blue Rossi VAS and put a kerry sticker on it.

If the board has the duel tech side wall it is probably foam, although there were several "team boards" that were wood however very few found there way into public hands.

If you find a pre 96 throttle its worth the ride.

Jeff Greenwood took the world cup by storm on stock throttles in 94-95 a time when no one on the tour was riding stock any thing.

They also made a few bigger shapes that I have seen around the East Coast the wide (23.0) 173 was under Will Garrows feet until he move into the team only 185. That wide rossi riped for a thick stick and would be a great EC style ride Shannon Mellhuse railed it with a very EC style.

Nils,

I have that same board you have, the R159, although mine is my primary board. For clarification (I'm getting confused w/ some of the years and models being thrown around), is that a 1995-1996 model w/ a wood core? Is it safe to assume it has a 9.5 sidecut? I bought it used some time ago and have no stats on it.

Thanks

The "New Guy" from Portland has been riding for 14 years and cruising the Bomber posts for years now. I'm just a bit more vocal than I have been in the past.

And Yes, I have the Sunday River pass. I'll be there most Sundays and whatever days I can manage to sneak out of work. : )

So those pesky Rossi boards.......I have catalogues from '96 and '97. In the '96 catalogue it clearly states (and remember, the catalogue is all I have to go by) that Rossignol uses Microcell core in ALL its board and claims they always did. I'll try to download photos of the pages but I have a Mac, am running OS X and the scanner is old and only OS 9 compatable, blah, blah, blah...I'm working on it. Give me a minute.

Sorry Ted, just haven't seen ya on BOL before. You must know Weasel at SR. You're welcome to try my Throttle 167. It's still got Burton raceplates on it and 4X4 holes.Check out the sweet bag I got in the mail yesterday for the "big stix": http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.71274/dept_id./qx/product.htm

Folks....

All of the boards in question above are Microcell boards. Minus, of course, the boards that Bordy mentioned...which is basically a (white top sheeted) Rossi 180.

Source: my buddy is the Rossi rep since day 1. If you break the board and find its wood, he'd like to know b/c every alpine board since the 4x4 (minus the yellow Slayer) until the "World Cup" (which had wood and microcell) was advertisted as Microcell.

K

wrong cos i saw one broken R159 in a shop ( the red spaceship i posted above ) and all there was was wood, not foam!!

As I mentionned: Rossi used wood in the race model ( ok this is the alpine everyone talks about here ) until the monocap construction...

Nils

Originally posted by nils

wrong cos i saw one broken R159 in a shop ( the red spaceship i posted above ) and all there was was wood, not foam!!

As I mentionned: Rossi used wood in the race model ( ok this is the alpine everyone talks about here ) until the monocap construction...

Nils

Do you have a picture? As mentioned, the literature on the board will reference microcell. It certainly wouldn't surprise me given the hype at the time that Rossi listed one material and used another.

Better yet...check the Rossi website archive and you'll find NO mention of wood in any of the boards talked about.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.rossignolsnowboards.com

I bubbled the base of the same board and it was foam......I'll dig in my pix archives tonight and should have a pix to post.