Keyser Soze

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phil and I are still in Philadelphia and won't be back for the weekend :(

But....we did go to Bear Creek, Pennsylvania this evening and got 4 hrs in.

Met an aspiring local softboot carver who rode with us most of night and got my first "speeding ticket" (red line through lift pass) in 23 yrs riding on our very first run....Apparently the "slow" signs are actually enforced in the US!!

Ski Patrol was pretty cool about it and actually offered to guide us to a run where we could rip.....as long as they could follow us for a few runs to watch:D

I have never had as many questions/comments etc in a day of riding as we had today.

//Paul

I won't be riding in Ottawa till next weekend at the earliest but am looking fwd to riding with some local carvers!!!

Guess what? 5 carvers showed up at Vorlage today! :biggthump

Okay - Chris, Tabatha, and I planned it, but then we met two other guys who are not yet on Bomber but will be soon - Bill and Oleg. It was pretty warm out, the snow was amazing, and we tore it up! As usual, we had the hill mostly to ourselves (sweet!) and by the end of the night it was covered in our trenches. :D *Proud*

And the best news? We're doing it again next week! Tuesday the 26th - probably around 6-6:30pm. So; Paul? Phil? Angus? Come play!!

Cheers,

Ian M

It would be great to share the slopes with other maniacs like myself.

Does that mean you'll come out Tuesday night? Please do! I think we'll be out around 6:30pm. There is a nice mix of terrain at Vorlage. The runs are relatively short, (about the same as Edelweiss?) and vary in width. It's hard to describe, and is certainly worth trying. The grooming seems consistently good, and most week-nights are very quiet which means we have a lot of space to tear around! Seems to be the best to be had within a quick drive of the city.

Everyone cross your fingers and think about nice carving snow :)

Nice weather, huh? :barf::barf::barf:

I am going to be a woos and say that if the weather doesn't improve, I will not be on the hill Tuesday. I am going to SOS on Friday and want to be able to ride hard there - so if you go up; have fun without me and I will see you all on the 2nd; same place / same time.

On Vorlage - the runs are (on average) shorter than Edelweiss, but tend to be wider and far more consistent in terms grade - which in my book makes it better! Vorlage is also deserted.

Here are my thoughts in response to an email from Chris and Bill about our plan to ride at Vorlage again on the 26th: (Bill isn't on Bomber yet; we met him last week)

Considering the negative temperatures forecast tonight and tomorrow, I would guess it'll be hard. The biggest unknown is when Vorlage grooms, and in a case like this they may wait until it freezes to do so. I'm more concerned about rocks attacking my Coiler.

All that being said:
  • I'm always up for a challenge.

• We'll never find out by sitting at home wondering if it could have been good.

If either of you will drive, I'll go for it. Worst case it's a skating rink or full of rocks, we leave and hit Top-Karting on the way home : ) I think of it as paying your dues for all the good days.

Let me know via email if either or both of you are interested, and I'll post on the ride board.

Is anyone else still thinking of heading out?

Cheers,

Ian :D

Ian, how was it?

It was a challenge, but not in the way that I expected! The snow was very spring-like; wet, dense, and inconsistent. The board had a tendency to nose-submarine, so more weight on the back foot through the whole turn was necessary. It took me a few runs to figure that out, and then I started to enjoy it. Definitely one of those 'non-ideal' days that teaches you a lot; you really had to be balanced and prepared for anything. I can't remember the last time I crashed so often.

There were a few 'hazard holes' on the hill from water run-off, but a minimal base is still intact. A couple of inches of fresh on there and we'll be set again; everyone think about thick blankets of white stuff!

On the plus side, you should have seen the massive trenches we were making - I've never seen 'em that big. Chris and Bill seemed to enjoy themselves too. As it got closer to 8pm, the temperature dropped and the snow started to firm up. That made for better carving, but our own ruts became real hazards. Especially because again, we were almost the only people on the hill so no one was erasing our tracks. The two slopes by the left chair were quite destroyed by the time we packed up. The grooming guy must be starting to love Tuesday nights. :rolleyes:

It sounds like Bill and Chris have other commitments next week, but Tuesday Feb. 9th sounds like another carve night. Also Tremblant on Sunday Feb. 7th might happen. I hope you can make it out sometime!

Cheers,

Ian :D