Note to New Members ×

Summit Sunday the 13th

Arclite

I have strong intentions ..... No ski patrol training for a few weeks! Really missed being able to ride with you guys this last Sunday. I watched you for a few minutes. Was wishing I could be carving it up with you. :biggthump

I might also go up this Thursday. Hopster and Rick will be up on that day.

There was hero snow at Mt High a few days ago but the crowd was terrible.

I didn't have the time to get up to Summit but I'm sure the lines would have been shorter.

Hey Terry I met a patroller candidate up at Mt High named Larry(I think) who said he knows you.

I just want to vent here, living in SoCal definitely has its high points and then it has its low points. Summertime is smog season, low point, if you live where I live, fall and spring are awesome, temps are great, hills are brilliant green in the spring, leaves are changing colors. Now comes wintertime, some people, non snow sport people, to be exact love the SoCal winters, not too cold but I on the otherhand hate SoCal winters.

See, it's like this. I love winter snowsports, skiing, snowboarding or enjoying the snow covered mountains, it's all good. One thing that seriously pisses me off about SoCal winters are these damn storms that blow in from the southern seas. What's up with this crap?? I am sure San Gorgonio mountain and the rest of the surrounding peaks are getting dumped on with snow but up at Snow Summit, we are getting friggin rain with a mixed snow flurry here and there. It's WINTER the last time I checked, in all other parts of the country they are well aware of that and other states are receiving their snowfall.

To go from a incredible week of snowmaking and natural snowfall to this crap really pisses me off. Don't go telling me that we need the water, HAH! San Bernardino doesn't need any freakin water, we got loads of it in this valley. It's Orange, Riverside and L A County that needs the water. Let it rain over their parts of the state and keep the snow for the mountains.

OK, I think I am done. Blood Pressure is lowering, breathing is slowing.

Dammit, just checked th temps at Summit, every temp reading station on the hill is recording above freezing temps. Heart rate and breathing are back up there again!!

oldvolvosrule you are not the only one

i was just talking to Julian and after watching the latest conditions, reports and forecast we decided not to go tomorrow because we don't think it's going to be worth it and now that i was going to post something you beat me to it

for whoever is going i hope you find good conditions and have a good time, in which case i' ll be the one missing out but i' m planning on going on the 20th

see you then

I just want to vent here, living in SoCal definitely has its high points and then it has its low points. Summertime is smog season, low point, if you live where I live, fall and spring are awesome, temps are great, hills are brilliant green in the spring, leaves are changing colors. Now comes wintertime, some people, non snow sport people, to be exact love the SoCal winters, not too cold but I on the otherhand hate SoCal winters.

See, it's like this. I love winter snowsports, skiing, snowboarding or enjoying the snow covered mountains, it's all good. One thing that seriously pisses me off about SoCal winters are these damn storms that blow in from the southern seas. What's up with this crap?? I am sure San Gorgonio mountain and the rest of the surrounding peaks are getting dumped on with snow but up at Snow Summit, we are getting friggin rain with a mixed snow flurry here and there. It's WINTER the last time I checked, in all other parts of the country they are well aware of that and other states are receiving their snowfall.

To go from a incredible week of snowmaking and natural snowfall to this crap really pisses me off. Don't go telling me that we need the water, HAH! San Bernardino doesn't need any freakin water, we got loads of it in this valley. It's Orange, Riverside and L A County that needs the water. Let it rain over their parts of the state and keep the snow for the mountains.

OK, I think I am done. Blood Pressure is lowering, breathing is slowing.

Dammit, just checked th temps at Summit, every temp reading station on the hill is recording above freezing temps. Heart rate and breathing are back up there again!!

Aaron, not to be a stereotypical terminal intermediate (am I even that far along yet?) but you need to get out and ride!

I spent all day bounding around in a mix of snow and rain and I was ear to ear the whole time! Wind was blowing like crazy, but man when that big bad Coiler gets up on a plane it's smooth sailing the whole way down.

Had to roll the water out of my hair and unstick it from my jacket but I don't care!

Have fun out there guys!

Theo

I've been out 3 times where it has literally been raining on the slopes or rained on the night before. I hated every single time. the last time it happened to me was on January 21, 2009 (I remembered the day since everyone got laid off at work the day before, and I needed a day to get away). Well, that sucked, I stayed on the slopes for 1 hour before I called it quits and left.

I'm not doing that again. i can deal with ice and hardpack boiler plate. i can deal with early morning ice that turns to slush later in the day. I can deal with blizzard conditions (so long as my leg doesn't go snap crackle pop... :lol:). I just can't deal with rain on the slopes that gets me all wet and cold and instantly turns the snow to craptastic conditions as if air temps were 75F...

Anyway, I called up all my friends and my bro, we've canceled our trip up tomorrow...

The only time I remember it paying off was last year. Julian and Andrea left cause the early morn conditions sucked. I think it was Albert, Erwin and I that stuck around at that rain turned to snow later on and we were able to get some fresh tracks in. I hate riding in the rain, skiing, snowboarding or cycling it just sucks!!

I spent all day bounding around in a mix of snow and rain and I was ear to ear the whole time! Wind was blowing like crazy, but man when that big bad Coiler gets up on a plane it's smooth sailing the whole way down.

Had to roll the water out of my hair and unstick it from my jacket but I don't care!

Theo

Sounds like you may have been riding Goldrush today!

I'm sort of conflicted about cold weather. On one hand I want it to stay cold enough to snow every time we get a winter storm, but it gets too cold in my shop to work sometimes.

We are fortunate to be riding at all in November and early December, I think

the resorts in the midwest and east are just opening now.

Hey doesn't Summit still hand out trash bags to put on as raincoats?:rolleyes:

After the rain hit hard Saturday and Saturday night, we got about 3-4 inches of fresh snow. Amazingly, the riding was great. The new snow was heavier and stuck perfectly to the base resulting in some excellent carving conditions. Sorry you guys did not make it up but I would have satyed how too based on Saturdays weather.

After the rain hit hard Saturday and Saturday night, we got about 3-4 inches of fresh snow. Amazingly, the riding was great. The new snow was heavier and stuck perfectly to the base resulting in some excellent carving conditions. Sorry you guys did not make it up but I would have satyed how too based on Saturdays weather.

It would have been a pain going up though, they closed the main front side way up too... Although, the best day I had last season was on a Wednesday after one of the storms/avalanches. I took the back way up from the high desert. Easily hands down, it was the very BEST carving day I have ever had at Big Bear/Snow Summit and one of my top 5 snowboarding days to memory...

Ah well, the season is still young, plenty of time to catch up on the riding.