Note to New Members ×

CarveItUp is back!!

CarveItUp

Greetings all!

Now that the snow is back (and we've found an alternate web hosting service), http://www.carveitup.net is back online.

The site is aimed at Canadian carvers but is open to everyone and provides classifieds, photos, a forum, ride board (in progress), singles page, a place to brag about your quiver, links, ebay search links, resort reviews and much more.

We also try to use the site to get Toronto area carvers together so if you are in the area, drop by to see when and where others will be riding.

We are still getting some of the site back online so bear with us. We should be fully up to speed in a few more days.

Derek

I don't mean to be rude or mean, but you should consider taking the site down until it's really ready.

Are the popups temporary? When I went to your home page, before I even had a chance to see it, I was served with FOUR popup ads. When I closed one of them, it gave me a fifth. Criminy.

When I tried to look at several of the links, I either got an "Under construction" page, or I was directed me to another site that tried to install some software on my computer :mad:

:rolleyes: As a regular visitor to Canada it's good to hear that there are other people with pointy boards there. On the other hand there's not actually any information on the site, and those pop-up ads are just invasive....

I'm afraid that the easiest way to block pop-up garbage is to avoid places which spew it. That's what I do I'm afraid; how else can we persuade the bad people not to do it? I'm assuming already that we're all too smart to actually click any of it.

<a href = "http://toolbar.google.com/" target = "_blank"><font color = "990000"><u>Google Toolbar</u></font></a> or <a href = "http://www.avantbrowser.com" target = "_blank"><font color = "990000"><u>Avant</u></font></a> are the best pop-up blockers for IE, otherwise use <a href = "http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/" target = "_blank"><font color = "990000"><u>Firebird</u></font></a>... All of these work great !

It seems like most of the <b>carvitup</b> site isn't working just yet? -I'll check back in a week or so...

(i like "ebay search" page.... what a time saver :) )

~ Mike

Ok, looks like I may have been a bit premature with my little announcement. Let me address a few of your concerns...

Our hosting service is free if we are willing to put up with pop-ups. After discovering how many popups there are, we have decided to pay the fee required to get them removed. In fact, I just did. We delayed doing this until we were sure that the service was going to be reliable. So you should see the pop-ups disappear in the next 24 hours or so.

The real trick to finding a host was finding one that supports our scripts. I personally wrote the scripts that the site runs on in PERL. Many hosts do not allow PERL scripting since it can be a security threat. This host is one of the few that does. Unfortunately, I am not an overly experienced web designer and PERL is the only language I know in depth.

The idea of the site is to provide a meeting place for Canadian carvers. It is always nice to ride with other carvers riding so we can learn from each other and meet people with a common interest. The bulk of the content (links, classifieds, forums, singles, quivers) is script driven and you can add your information. We will be adding more content soon.

Finally, I would like to point out that we are nothing more than fellow carvers who are not looking to make a buck but rather to bring together the canadian carving community. We have created this site in our spare time at our own expense so I hope you can look past the odd weakness and keep visiting.

CarveItUp