Note to New Members ×

First trauma of winter

LeeW

Guest Randy S.

I just got the latest LL Bean winter catalog. On the back, where they print your name and special messages, there was a segment that said:

"Remember Last Winter blah blah blah" "In San Carlos (insert your town here) the coldest recorded temperature last winter was 39 degrees."

I do remember having a frost two winters ago. No black ice though. God I love living here. 3.5 hours to snow and you can play golf or ride bikes all year round at my house. Only downside is the median home price is $550K.

No such luck here - winter's winter, and it's looking grim already. My daughter went on a school camping trip last week and happened to hit a record cold snap: -8 overnight (that's 18F for you metrically challenged). Wasn't expecting that in September! Plus, I still have to drive 8 hours to hit the mountains. OTOH median housing price is around $CDN130K.

Russell? What the heck's in Russell? Something built on the river valley?

Locally, it's Blackstrap, a pile of dirt on top of a riverbank built for the 71 Canada Winter Games. I don't often go there.

For weekend trips, almost always Banff, it's about 8 hours. If we do a week, it will often be Big White (Kelowna). This year we're planning on Panorama.

Originally posted by Mark Brown

Yep, you are lucky!!!

An hour to my local 600 foot bump and we're lucky if they open before Christmas (with 100% man made ice!) Geesh, I gotta move...

Wisp? That's my first mountain/hill where I snowboard way back in 1990.

Anyhow, well, looks like it's gonna cost me 6000 bucks to repair the truck. -SIGH-