Note to New Members ×

Socks? (sorry, Im bored)

D-Sub

so...in my research for footbeds, I ran across a few different specialized socks

"conformables" had some that seemed sweet, but theyre only EU..

there are some at reliable racing...and Ive seen others

I usually wear super thin dress socks as Ive found they let me get in and out of boots easier. Ive never really had a cold feet problem (let the jokes fly!) so...

what do y'all wear? Is it worth a few $$ for specific socks?

I wear low tech, cheap (3 pairs for 15$) wool socks from L'Équipeur, never had any problems (maybe too thick sometimes...), very comfortable. Wool is rather high tech compared to other natural fibers, I keeps the heat even when wet, but my feet never get wet anyways.

Derf

No cotton! If it's a polypro dress sock than maybe.

Personally I have two pair of Neoprene Socks that I really like. I started wearing them 6 years ago and I still like them the best despite trying some other types in the meantime - although Burton and SmartWool socks aren't bad either. They are warm, don't get sweat/water logged, and most importantly - they don't move at all once you slip them on - no bunching and no blisters. I HATE it when a sock bunches up in my boot. They are a little expensive... but they dry out quickly and you definitely can wear them several days in a row. The two pairs I have lasted over a week.

For spring/summer riding, I tend to wear wicking Fox River liner socks or WrightSock DoubleLayer running socks they are extremely light, breathable and don't ever give you blisters.

All the links are to REI. I suggest you buy them and try them... and return them if you don't like them (REI lets you return used purchases). I think you'll like them.

oh oh..I just meant in snowboard boots

the dress socks I use are synthetic..polyester I guess? real slick feelin

when I first started out hardbootin I had some burton shadows that were damn close to too small...couldnt wear socks in em!

I cant for the life of me remember if they smelled bad. Probably blocked the traumatic memory:)

I saw the smartwool ones at reliable racing...$13/pr sure seems like a lot of money for socks:)

Originally posted by D-Sub

I saw the smartwool ones at reliable racing...$13/pr sure seems like a lot of money for socks:)

Well $12 socks compared to $200 boots + $100 liners + $100 insoles... all of which you can only use while snowboarding (ok... maybe you can use you insoles in your sneakers/shoes)

Yep, I use the above socks for snowboarding (and jogging, hiking rollerblading, skateboarding, ice hockey and everyday use). I slowly got addicted to them after just buying a pair or two for the weekends (maybe that should be a warning).

Again, if you are near an REI, just buy a pair and try them out... if you don't think they are worth it... return them for a full refund, after the season is over :D

When i can, Smartwoll is the first choice for me, but mid season when im too tired and lazy to do my laundry (too much school and not enough snowboarding make ross a dull boy) i am forced to result in either combat boot socks (dad was airforce, plenty around the house) or the good old white cotton death pouches. I do have a question about the neoprene socks- do they gat so hot that the nastiness overrides all other qualities. My experiences with neoprene out of water have caused to shy away from neoprene socks, but if you say theyre legit than i gotta go for em'.

Guest AlpentalRider

I've been using Thorlo SNBs since 98 and love them. You can also get them at REI. Even though they retail for $20, just wait until the end of the season and pick them up for $10 a pair, that's what I do :)

Originally posted by lonerider

Well $12 socks compared to $200 boots + $100 liners + $100 insoles... all of which you can only use while snowboarding (ok... maybe you can use you insoles in your sneakers/shoes)

Yep, I use the above socks for snowboarding (and jogging, hiking rollerblading, skateboarding, ice hockey and everyday use). I slowly got addicted to them after just buying a pair or two for the weekends (maybe that should be a warning).

Again, if you are near an REI, just buy a pair and try them out... if you don't think they are worth it... return them for a full refund, after the season is over :D

Yea I got addicted to the Smartwool socks as well I own 4-5 pairs for hiking, inline skating, snowboarding and such...My cats have taken a likeing to one pair and have ruined them...nothing so funny as a bobtailed taby dragging a sock all over the house so I haven't the heart to get mad (as long as they stay with just that pair).

Originally posted by outsider

I do have a question about the neoprene socks- do they gat so hot that the nastiness overrides all other qualities. My experiences with neoprene out of water have caused to shy away from neoprene socks, but if you say theyre legit than i gotta go for em'.

Outsider the "Seirus socks" I am refering to aren't just plain neoprene... it's actually a laminate of spandex/lycra that looks like neoprene to me. I have worn them at Mt.Hood in the summer time riding the snowfield. They were a bit warm, but I wasn't dying from my feet overheating. I did end up switching to the Fox River socks I mentioned before, which are ultra thin liner socks.

D-Sub, you really can't go wrong with Smartwool and I think it's the most popular choice. I have tried the Light Smartwool Ski Socks and they decently thin and higher. I returned them because I didn't like the feel of full calf socks. The Fox River socks are also very thin... but very short (almost too short for snowboard as the hair on your shin can get "rubbed raw").

happy to see an explanation of the neoprene socks. I have a pair of thin neoprene socks for winter snomobiking(mtn biking on snowmobile trails) and I just couldn't see anyone wearing a pair of wetsuit style socks for snowboarding.

D-Sub, you really can't go wrong with Smartwool and I think it's the most popular choice. I have tried the Light Smartwool Ski Socks and they decently thin and higher. I returned them because I didn't like the feel of full calf socks. The Fox River socks are also very thin... but very short (almost too short for snowboard as the hair on your shin can get "rubbed raw").

I'd have to agree with the light smartwool choice. thin with no pattern whatsoever on the inside of the sock. otherwise that pattern will be painfully imprinted onto my shins. My solution to the shin hair problem is to remove it before it gets rubbed raw. I shave my shins at the start of the season and again if or when necessary. I also cut off longjohn cuffs above the boot top to avoid seams on the shin. Had to do this when I skied too.

Yup. I concurr. Smartwool all the way. They are comfy, warm, and wicking!

I have VERY sweaty feet, and so far, Smartwool is the first sock I've used that keep the moisture (And stink!) down to a minimum. My ski boots fit very snug, so I use the thinnest Smartwools I can find (Ski Ultra Light), and they are wonderful.

Guest Ghostrider

I used to be the biggest smartwool fan. Its all I had..but then the guys at the ski shop told me to try the Bridgedale Snowboard Pro...they are supposed to be a revolutionary sock. They claim that they have more technology than most ski boots...whatever that means...:rolleyes: However, they have a life of about 3 years and they are actually carry a 3 year warranty to do so. The smartwools only last about 30-40 days of good use in my experience. I decided to test it and see if it was true. Well, I've gone through 2 pairs of smartwools and these puppies still feel like new (I wear em all the time just to see if I can wear them out).

They were a little more expensive though. If my memory serves me correct, it was about $20. But considering how much ive dumped into smartwool, I'm never going back.

Here is the description of the Bridgedale Snowboard Pro's...

The Bridgedale Snowboard Pro Sock gives good boarders with performance fitting boots—with custom-molded liners, in particular—a thin sock that affords maximum feeling and control inside the boot. Circulating blood is what warms feet, so with performance boots, a thin sock is especially conducive to keeping feet warm by minimizing constrictive bulk. An articulated Y-Heel and Forward Flex are designed to coincide with movement inside boots, as well as to prevent bunching at the front of the ankle. A Double Cuff and Ankle Support deny any slippage or give while you’re ripping the hill. A padded shin area helps cushion the blow of boot bang, while a reinforced heel and toe add excellent durability that will make this sock last longer in boots than you. (That could explain the 3 year warranty.)

Guest Ghostrider

haha...socks are key!

Don't forget..as Lieutenant used to say,

"There is one item of G.I. gear that can be the difference between a live grunt and a dead grunt. Socks. Cushioned sole, O.D. green. Try and keep your feet dry. When we're out humpin', I want you boys te remember to change your socks whenever we stop. The Mekong will eat a grunts feet right off his legs."

hey ghostrider...

what size do you wear? Im wearing a 27 in my alpine boots...thats roughly a "9"...but...my street shoes are usually 10-10.5...

medium or large is my quandary. Im thinkin medium to reduce the possibility of bunching...

Guest Ghostrider

Im pretty sure I went with the Medium..I wear a 27.0 boot and about a 9.5-10 street shoe. We're right in the middle ground of sizes so either should work. But they've got quite a bit of stretchyness to em so i went with the Medium.

edit: let me know where you found those 2nds from and just what that means... I might have to stock up and get a good rotation going for those weeks on the road when theres no washing machine nearby.