Note to New Members ×

Summer season choices..anyone done 1?

rikytheripster

Really want to do a season, at least 6 weeks but because i am at uni it is not feasible due to work unless i go in the summer. Now what are the options? Glacier skiing in alps, new zealand, chile possible-Randy?What other options are there?What months are the seasons for these places?

Cost?

Anyone done a summer season?

Cheers

Another option is Australia. The season officially starts in early June, although you usually have to wait until July for some (semi) decent snow. The best time is August, and the first half of September is also good if you like warm weather and spring conditions.

I'd recommend Thredbo, Perisher Blue, or Mt Hotham as the best places to go.

The following photos show what things are like in a good season...

Guest Randy S.

I've never done a "summer" season. That said, I'd opt for Chile or NZ over any glacier options. Glacier skiing is a great novelty and not bad for training.

NZ has the obvious language advantage if you don't speak Spanish. However, many folks in Chile speak some English and you'd learn some Spanish as a bonus. With either, the issue of work permits is an issue. You should look into that to see if either place will grant you a work visa. You're a brit, does that get you automatic status in NZ? I had a Scottish friend who worked there one summer driving a truck when they filmed that ice climbing movie with Chris O'Donnell. Of course, I had no work visa when I was a ski bum in France. I just had to find jobs that paid cash (think waiter, bartender, unofficial ski guide, dishwasher, ski technician, gigolo). Ski towns are all small. If you can find someone who has been there before and can help you out, you'll be much better off. If I were going to Chile, I'd opt for Valle Nevado from what I've heard. Termas de Chillan was way to small and isolated to spend an entire season there. I don't know about NZ. The women in Chile are gorgeous, but then again, so were the two Kiwis I've slept with. Hmmm.

If you are going to be a ski bum, you can't be shy. You need to be able to ask people for help, ask for jobs, ask for places to stay, grovel for a season pass, etc. If you do this in a place where English isn't the 1st language, its a little harder (not impossible).

Hey Baka, what's with all the images? And is AU really good skiing? I thought NZ was way better (further south).

I bet if you do some research, you'll find some good info. Plus there are a couple of Kiwi Carvers on this site. Maybe one of them could help hook you up.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Hey Baka, what's with all the images? And is AU really good skiing? I thought NZ was way better (further south).

I'm just feeling homesick, and I figured people might not actually believe me that there was snow in AU. The conditions in AU are...marginal. A good season is good, but a bad season can be truly truly terrible.

NZ has more snow, but fewer lifts and smaller resorts.

They're having a stomping season in NZ this year, I had a report from a friend two weeks ago who was up to his ears in powder. But having said that, I've been at Cardrona in the first week of September where you have to swim across the river running down the frontside to get to the base for lunch. The North Island fields have low elevations so they tend to melt and freeze really badly, as can Coronet Peak in the South Island.

The NZ resorts are small, true, and often hard to get to. If you want to do a lot of boarding you wil probably need a car, as nearly all of them have access-roads-from-hell that take about an hour to drive up. There are dozens of club fields around, again really small and with primitive lifts, but with really friendly people and apparently an awful lot of fun if you're an advanced rider (I'm not). With a car in the South Island you can cover a lot of ground and board on a lot of terrain. Cars in NZ are really cheap, too.

Best time to go there if you don't plan on spending all season is July and August. I'd give the North Island a miss, it's SO crowded and the conditions are usually hit and miss. I'd base myself in the South Island, in Christchurch (Mt Hutt and the club fields in Canterbury, and north to Rainbow, Mt Lyford and Porter Heights), or if you want to go to the deeper south, in Cromwell (Queenstown is where it's at but it's BLOODY expensive, and Cromwell is closer to Wanaka and the fields at TC and Cardrona). Closer to Qtown you have the Remarkables and Coronet, both worth a visit in a good season.

Carvers choice - Cardrona or the Remarks.

And Baka is lying to you, there is no good snow in Aus, that's why they're all over in NZ!

:) :)

Best resorts for carving are Whakapapa and Turoa in the north Island, Cardrona & Coronet Peak and Treble Cone in the South Island

Whakapapa (pronounced faka-papa) and Turoa are on Mt Ruapehu a 3000m high volcano. They are NZ's largest ski fields allthough not big by other standards and are actually higher than the SI fields. Both feature wide groomed slopes and a great deal of very carveable off piste terrain which is accessible if the weather is good - probably twice as much off piste as on. The weather is less certain in the NI and the mountain can be very icy. Think spring conditions. This season they have around 3m base and so far I have not queued more than four minutes on any day!

Cardrona in the SI is smaller but has the most dependable weather and snow conditions. Think early spring conditions. There is less off piste but the groomers are wide, less crowded and very good. Easily the best place to learn in NZ but possibly a bit limited for advanced riders. It just aint steep enough. On the plus side Cardrona has a new quad express which makes the only steep area - arcadia chutes - more accessible

Treble Cone is steeper and does not get as much snow. It does have a six seater express chair and on a fresh snow day is the dog's bollocks. This season it was great

Other resorts are Coronet Peak(concrete peak). This can be crowded and it is very low so without fresh snow can be icy. This year the snow has been the best in 20 years and coronet was fantastic. If the snow is good this place has brilliant terrain and is bigger than it seems. I ride with the locals down there and we went places this year that some of them have never been before!

Mt Hutt - Mt Shutt

The Remarkables- a bit limited in fact wholly unremarkable but with some reasonable off piste if you can be bothered to catch the shuttle bus back to the lift. I wouldn't bother with it. Go to the pub instead.

There are numerous club fields that I have never visited - Ohau Craigieburn, Broken River and Porter Heights get good reports. One day I will rent a campervan and do a tour.

In general NZ skifields are small underdeveloped affairs but on a good day they are as good as anywhere. A bit like the whole country . The snow conditions here suit carving boards as in nine years of snowboarding 10 to 15 days a season I think I can remember four powder days. This season I have had more powder in one month than all the preceding seasons put together.

For all details including trailmaps and website links go to www.snow.co.nz

If I was doing the trip I would time it for Late July/August/early September. I would probably base myself in Queenstown which is stuffed full of poms so you will feel right at home.Also you will need a car so I would fly into Auckland, splash $2000 on a car and then do the reverse on the way out. This will enable you to drive to the SI and visit the NI fields and the Canterbury fields on the way down or back up. Actually I would visit the NI fields on the way back up as they suck until they have at least 2m of snow.

www.nzski.com - The nzskipass gives you unlimited skiing & riding at Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Mt Hutt & Ohau - the Early Bird price is $499 for adults if you buy before the 12th of March

There was a single "superpass" available for all the ski areas but is wasn't sold this year. See www.snow.co.nz for details - it may be reinstated. Day passes on most fields are $65-$80 this season

Accomodation costs around $20 a night in a backpackers and up to $250/night in a hotel. many backpackers have double rooms with ensuites for $40-60 which are often as good or better than some hotels.

Bring all your gear with you as gear here is either expensive or crap or unavailable.

Anything else?

Guest Randy S.

Boy, based on the descriptions of NZ "resorts" I'd be inclined toward Chile. Valle Nevado and Portillo have lots of off-piste, from what I've heard. Plus Santiago is just a couple hours away if you want to have some fun in a reasonably big city. I thought NZ had some great skiing, but maybe it is only accessible if you take a helo?