Note to New Members ×

15 Year Old wants to start on an Alpine setup

Guest Thomas_S

As for Burton bindins, it really depends on wich model. I would stay away from carriers (all plastic), but I think the Race would be OK since it has an aluminium plate underneath the plastic. I ride Burton Performance bindings with an aluminium baseplate under the plastic and never had any problems with them (and I weigh ~175 lbs).

As for the board Kent suggested, it is a nice board, the same I ride but in a different lenght. The seller says it's a race board, but I personnaly think it's more of a freecarve board.

Derf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and factory prime are the same boards different years at least in the shape its seem that speeds are a bit softer than the FP but not incredibly

any of the smaller primes/speeds are are either youth decks or womens both would suit you just fine I think

I have a new prime 151 with stepin performance plate bindings(they are usable but I would recomend some cateks or bombers) here if I dont give it to my ex I will sell it for $130 shipped

not sure if thats what I want to do yet though but on ebay you can find them with bindings for the same price

one thing with the SL decks that is great is that the sidecut is close to that of your average soft setup so they can be turned at lower speeds with little effort

the burton earth boot is decent the only thing I dont like about it is that is does not work with intec

I recomend boots being the first priority as well its important

Originally posted by corey_dyck

That's not true. My Bomber TD1's seem to stay attached to my Alp 169 pretty well. ;) You've just got to make sure they have the disks that look like this: http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/parts_td1_disk.cfm

I got them from the classifieds here for around $150 shipped - cheaper than many new bindings of lesser quality. You don't have as many stance width choices with TD1's and the Burton 3D pattern as you do with a 4x4 pattern.

DOH!!!!

whoops. totally forgot about that!

:)

Guest Thomas_S

Ok, I'm going to go through these posts real quick:

D-Sub = Thanks for clearing that stuff up for me. Glad to know my binding won't rip off anytime soon.

thomas_m = Ok, I'm kind of interested in the Oxygen Proton 147 your offering. However, is that long enough? It seems a bit on the short side. Just want to make a good purchase, thats all.

Barry - Thanks for all the help. I'll try some local shops, too. Thanks for the link to raceboarders.com also.

corey - thanks for the tip about the choices you can make with a 3d pattern compared to the 4x4.

Derf - Stay away from carriers. Got it. Thanks for the tips.

Ok, another question.

I've pretty much narrowed my boots down. The Raichle 413's. Size 28 mondo. Same with bindings. Leave the TD's and Cateks for the future. Not now. Too stiff. So, its probably a pair of SnowPro Race bindings. Anyone know where to find a pair? None on eBay right now.

Just the board left......

Thanks everyone. Again.

Burton plates as long as they are the race plate or the physics are just as good look for some used plates when it comes to anything other than the real bindings out there

I really think anything that has plastic is not worth your time when as even dated stuff like a TD1 or catek WC would be fine in the long run(does not shatter on when it gets nasty)

the ghetto binders are great to learn on but you will replace them once you feel comfy with hard boots so I would recomend going with a decent pair in the first place

3d ? welll if snopro does not work with it its a good reason not to use their binders anyway

Guest Thomas_S
Originally posted by thomas_m

Thomas_S,

I have an Oxygen Proton 147(an SL board) that you can have for $50 including shipping if you want it. The weight range is about 90-140lbs.

The topsheet is a little scuffed but the board has never been ridden. I originally got it for my wife who weighs about the same as you but she ended up wanting a wider all-mountain ride.

Thomas_M

I'm sorry, but another question.

What do you guys think of this board? Length? Stiffness? I'm really interested in it. Now I just have to email thomas_m about it.

Thanks a lot guys!!! Another nice thing is that I could upgrade the bindings a bit, since I will save a large sum of money with this. Same with boots.

So....

The Oxygen Proton 147

Snowpro Race LTD Bindings (No Step-In

Raichle 413 SB Boots

Thanks for all the help guys, and I can't wait to get out on the slopes....

Although it's gonna be a long month and a half.....

Guest Randy S.

Buy it before I do. $50? Thomas_M, If T_S doesn't take it, I'll buy it for my 10 year-olds next board (he probably won't be big enough for 2 more years, but how could I go wrong?)

All the people I've known who had that board liked it.

Randy

Guest thomas_m

Yep - My thought is I'd rather give it away to a young carver for basically shipping and handling rather than pitching it on eBay...

If my son was a little older I'd hang onto it but he's got lots of time yet. My wife saw the sharp corners and basically said "nowayinhell, get me an all mountain like yours..."

T.