Note to New Members ×

Molding ThermoFlex liners - do you do it?

C5 Golfer

Do you heat mold your liners?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you heat mold your liners?

• No- use them as they come out of the box
    • Sometimes
    • Always - must do for nice fit

I did it myself, using the info provided on this site and my own oven. It was a 423 Raichle. And everything went OK (no folding). I could feel that it got better and felt more comfortable after molding, but not a difference of night and day as some suggest. But then again, maybe my feet dimensions were not too much off of the original liner's inner space.

I started molding mine after the local shop melted a pair of mine. I think when I said 250 he thought I meant 250C and cranked up the oven. Wouldn't you wonder if foam liners were meant to be heated to more than twice the temperature needed to boil water? I guess I was the fool for not finding out how many thermoflex liners he'd done before. They bought me some new ones and I do my own now. The results have been great. Just follow Dave Morgan's directions at YYZCANUCK.com

Chris

I've done 4 sets so far this year. I have a convection oven (a fan inside that prevents any hot spots) and followed the directions mentioned in the previous post. ( 12 minutes in a 225 degree f oven). I do them one at a time so I'm not worried about the one that is still in there. Two things that I do different: First, I made a boot horn out of a piece of pvc I cut out of an old rain gutter. It's about 1 1/2'" wide and 18" long. It allows the liner to slide into the boot easier than a piece of duct tape (dont forget to pull it out) The other is, I use an Ace bandage to wrap the liner with before I slip it into the boot. Overlap the liner, hook the little clips onto the liner in the direction of the overlap, take a couple of wraps around the top, a couple around the instep and just hold the rest up your leg while slipping your foot into the boot.

I've done a number of moldings myself. My first-ever pair was a used pair of 224's with thermos, so I practiced on those. I must have molded that pair 7 or 8 times... the shells were too big, and I kept re-molding every time they packed out.

I did have a bootfitter do it once, they didn't come out any better than my do-it-yourself moldings. I will acknowledge that they are the bootfitting experts, but I know my feet well and know what I have to do to keep them happy, I guess it balances out.

I'm on my first ever pair of thermofits.

Unmolded they were massively uncomfortable - I could hardly bear to try them on. Molded they actually feel a bit too big (I have size 28 shells and 27.5 cm feet).

Next time I'd go a size smaller, but the thought of just trying to squeeze my feet into a pair of unmolded 27s is pretty scary.

Guest AlpentalRider
Originally posted by Baka Dasai

I'm on my first ever pair of thermofits.

Unmolded they were massively uncomfortable - I could hardly bear to try them on. Molded they actually feel a bit too big (I have size 28 shells and 27.5 cm feet).

Next time I'd go a size smaller, but the thought of just trying to squeeze my feet into a pair of unmolded 27s is pretty scary.

You should do the shell test to determine if they will fit or not. I wouldn't even bother trying them on with the liner until you've molded them.

Originally posted by AlpentalRider

You should do the shell test to determine if they will fit or not.

You mean the "how many fingers can I fit behind my heel" test?

I think it was 2 with the 28s, and 1 with the 27s. I was a bit torn, but I went with the 28s because they were on sale (60% off). Maybe a bad decision in hindsight.