Note to New Members ×

all mountain board- stance angles

Guest ethanpt

Guest ethanpt

I am curious what sort of angles folks are using on their all mountain/axis board types when they are doing general all purpose riding ie crud, powder, choppy stuff. Also what are peoples thoughts on cants on these type of boards.

Thanks

55 front and 50 rear on my 4x4.

On all of my boards, I let the board width dicate the angles, so that the toe and heel of my boots align with both edges (with boots centered on the bindings).

I use a little bit of cant...maybe 0.5-1 degree

Toe lift in front - 2-3 degrees

Heel lift in rear - 2 degrees, hard to say for sure, gotta get my gear out of the closet and get it ready for the coming season.

----Hugh

I use 50 parallel on fish these days. Kind of mellow compared to my piste settings, but you don't have the same dynamics and 50 seems like a good compromise to me.

I still ride with what was a once called new-race-method facing-forward stance, so I can see the trees on both sides.

I have ridden much wider boards (eg Supermodel, Canyon, the Solomon equivalents etc) with similar stance angles. The biggest problem was stance-width, as manufaturers increased the minimum width to meet the needs of phat kids' stances. Those can be bad with hard boots. Holding an edge on anything resembling hard-pack would be tricky with a wide-board and forward-stance. Not a problem for me as I'm not riding lift-serviced with these boards.

Guest pcogan

i ride 9/18 on all mountain boards

why?

at 9/18, my feet are forward enough to carve, but low angle enough to ride fakie -- actually, carve fakie.

fakie riding offers another huge learning curve, helps my regular riding, allows me to go air-to-fakie, and -- the main reason -- it's fun

on bombers, i ride 60/55

enjoy

pc

Originally posted by NateW

55/50,Coiler AM, 21cm waist

Same deck, 28 Mondo Raichles, 58/53. I actually ride it with a little bit of underhang (55/50 is spot-on for me) simply because I like facing more forward. But I don't like putting sky under my board like Nate does... :D

joe...

I don't have an "all mountain" axis like deck but I do have 3 alpine decks (donek 163, Madd BX 158 and a Madd 158 classic) and a all around deck (Donek Incline 164) with one set of binders (Bomber TD step-ins, the older model) and one set of boots (Head S-LTDs) and of all that stuff it covers 100% of my riding from groomers to trees and steeps.

Alpine i tend to ride 57*+ f/b sometimes a bit more depending on the waist width for for all mountain/trees/pow/steeps I'll ride 24-36* front and 12-24* back with my TD step-ins and Heads and that works just fine. If i want to hybrid my Incline for groomers in the AM and crud/trees/steeps in the PM without adjusting anything I'll run about 45*f/35-45*b (depending on how much of one thing or the other I am doing).

I use the same canting, 7* (or whatever the older TD max cant was) front and back (toe lift/front, heel lift back) with a stance width 21" for alpine and 20" for freeriding....

lots of number but hope it helps.