Note to New Members ×

Wall racks for boards?

Speedzilla

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

installed fan to circulate air from ceiling level out through some leftover central vac pipes. my woodstove is in the same room and burns 24/7 through the winter ensuring warm dry boots 7days a week. also installed an internal light bulb below the fan unit for auxilliary heat if woodstove not fired up. Works extremely well for gloves, bike shoes, work boots etc. If items are dried on daily basis they don't get funky. I just wish I could take it with me on vacations, don't realize how spoiled I am until pulling on boots while away from home.

post-134-14184219855_thumb.jpg

ARC: That's a HOT(and I mean nice, not hot to the touch) rack! When I get home (or back to the hotel, etc) I'll slap some air pucks into my boots. They dry in a couple hours. Check them out for those times you are away from home.

Oooh, I just did a search and couldn't find the "air puck" I'm looking for. It looks like it has been re-branded as this:

http://www.dryguy.net/PRD_DG5.htm

It works great, and travels well.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by skywalker

Well, it's not really a wall rack, but it's at the wall and - well - it's a rack ;). I built it up with a chainsaw and I like it. I guess, my girlfried doesn't *LOL*]

Screw the gf (you know what I mean) :D

That's f'ing art man. Cool idea. I'm impressed. Now go get the chainsaw and cut a new slot so you can buy another board and really piss off the gf.

Hi Randy,

this rack is only for the boards I want to have beside my bed. These are the boards, I usually use more than once a saison. The others have to stay in the cellar. And don't you forget, I'm European, so most people think, I'm crazy, having tree boards in my bedroom. I usually don't tell them, that there are some others...

The rack is about 2 meters (79 inches), The bar parameters are 30 X 20 cm (12 X 8 inches)

BTW: I think, it's totally normal, that girlfriends don't like our SB-Racks in bedrooms. I'm totally happy with her, so she'll have to bear it ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest boogieman

i just put a hair dryer in my boots i can set the heating from 0 to 2 and the fan also from 0 to 2 so i put it in my boots and leave it on foor 1 hour or something then i switch boots

only thing is that the hair dryers dont last verry long, laster year after 2 weeks it started making a strange noise i told my sister that that was becouse the grinding was done but it broke a fuw months later (not my foult :D ) can happen to any hair dryer

but i wouldnt suggest this method

note of caution to anyone using hair dryers for boot dryers.

I kept using an old hair dryer after it started making noise. Luckily woke up to the smell of burnt plastic and motor windings. Had to extinguish a small fire. Fire in the fan unit started because of an electrical overcurrent from a locked motor rotor condition it had nothing to do with the heating element.(element had been removed from circuit)

This incident is refreshed for me right now after a mother and seven chidren died this week in a house fire here in Ontario.

If your dryer fan is making any strange noises immediately discontinue using it.

also:

disconnect heating element and circulate air only(boots will last longer)

Guest AlpentalRider

i personally wouldn't use a hair dryer. They are not designed to be run for long periods of time and are an extreme fire hazard (yes even without the heat element connected).

is making me chubby :D . Crimeny, some of you guys are pretty good with the ideas. I'm gonna have to build a rack too for my ever expanding quiver. Good ideas here. I'm gonna have to move the boat out of the garage, out into the snow, to make room for my precious brood of boards. I can't seem to get rid of them as fast as I accumulate them. Hmmmm... maybe I shouldn't bitch about her shopping as much as I do...

instead of a hair dryer or compressor (not enough constant airflow & would use too much electricity $$$) get a squirrel cage fan from an auction or garage sale (I have 3) the outlet on them will be rectangular or round & usually furnace duct pcs will fit right up to them. make a couple of Y's & such with tees & elbow pcs & plug it in. LOTS of cfm's cuz it runs off an electric motor like your furnace does. Cheap to run & uses room temp air-should dry yer stuff in less than 3 hrs. Enjoy!