Way OT: My New Website

Dave Winters

Guest AlpentalRider

Great Job Dave,

I like how you laid out the site. I'm a Tech Lead for Web Application development, so for recommendations here's some ideas (and remember I'm being nitpicky here, the site is quite nice and functional as it is):

On the homepage I would make the image map you created into a background image and then set the links on top as true links. Also try and take that image and compress it more with jpg compression. Right now, even on broadband it takes a while to load.

Your navigation is well done on the first 2 pages, but on your gallery page it is not in the same location. I'm assuming it's this way due to your gallary software, but if possible try and mimick your navigation on all pages for usability.

The only other remark is that I would change the text color and background color on the About the Artist page to white/black so it matches with your Contact page.

Like I said, this is about all I could come up with. It's a well structured site with decent graphics and layout. Job well done. And your woodworking rocks!

Thanks for all the comments. Bob, I know you're kidding, but I did work with Sean on my Donek last year to try to get him to do a wood top, but he couldn't guarantee that it would ride the same. He was game for it tho, and was a trooper to even consider it.

Tommy, sorry-no dogs. I do much more abstract type things.

Alpental- thanks for the helpful tips on navigation, I'll see what I can do. Steph- thanks for the kind words.

Originally posted by Dave Winters

Tommy, sorry-no dogs. I do much more abstract type things.

It is easy to find people who carve wood, and even animals. It is nearly impossible to find anyone who will do custom carvings of dogs! Sheesh! :D

You have excellent work, BTW. I especially like the 'flame' sculptures and other free-form. Good stuff!

Originally posted by Bob Jenney

Nice Dave!

Can I put the 1st order in for a custom wood topsheet for my next Donek?

years ago there was a guy in Sawpit Co. who did beautiful custom snowboards with inlaid wood topsheets that put Arbor to shame...Daryl Hanna had one with koa wood (I think) flames that made me drool. Anyway wood works as a topsheet but it needs to be part of a whole not an afterthought

Yeah, a bluebird day is a cloudless, windless day in mid winter when the sky is a blue as a blue jay and the contrast of the white snow is truly awesome. Not awesome like, "Hey where's the phone?" "Over there." "AWESOME!!!", but really awesome.

Here's a guy who does curly maple as a topsheet. These are supposed to be pretty good boards, anybody know anything about them?

http://www.novemberboards.com/[/url]

post-69-141842198538_thumb.jpg

Guest stoked

haha thanks for the info and good luck with your site!

blue jay? I know a blue jay it was the name of my horse in monument valley when I was on vacation there but let me just say I found out about 10 more reasons why prefering motorcycles makes sense.