Note to New Members ×

Precision Tuning Center

Guest skidoc

I just wanted to bring some clarification to the "tuning options" offered by Madd Snowboards.

My name is Mike de Santis and I own Precision Tuning Center. I am providing Madd Snowboards with a very unique service to properly finish off their boards with a state of the art aftermarket base and edge finish.

This particular process ensures maximum performance in all conditions, and will allow the rider to receive all of the intended technology Madd Snowboards are capapble of delivering.

My background comes from being a World Cup Ski Technician and World Cup Race Director for Volkl Skis for 11 years. In that time I developed my own base structures that garnered numerous World Cup victories, World Champion and Olympic medals.

It is my opinion be it right or wrong, that snowboard preparation and ski preparation are to be treated the same. The physics of a ski and a snowboard approaching a turn are inherently the same, and therefore benefit from the same tolerances to provide maximum benefit to the driver.

All of my ski and snowboard preps roll out with a base edge tolerance between .75-1.0 degree (.25mm variance over the running length), and a 3.0 degree side edge.

These edge tolerances represent the optimal threshold between intuitive response, highest performance, and maximum consistency over a wide range of conditions.

Whether you're carving a snowboard or skis, this specific process allows for the fullest comittment to any turn shape, and makes one feel as if your pushing on a wall that will not "give way."

All Alpine board finishes are not "de-tuned" in the tip or tail, with base bevel compensation in the tip and tail that allows for maximum turn intiation and release.

My signature cross structure is World Cup proven for optimum glide over the widest variety of snow types and temperatures, and is designed to exceed one's highest expectations.

Madd Snowboards is receiving a special BULK price of 55.00. This service is normally 75-85.00. It is very time consuming and expensive to produce. This is precisely why you will never find a factory to deliver this type of finish in mass production.

Whether you are an avid rider or full on racer, the benefits of a variable free finish are profound.

All orders for this preparation must be in before Oct 31 in order to receive the 55.00 special price.

I am happy to answer any questions regarding my service or help in any way I may be capable of to provide ALL riders with the best on-snow experience possible. My new website www.precisiontuningcenter.com will be up and running very soon, as I look forward to the opportunity to provide the snowboarding community with the best service possible.

Thanks,

Skidoc

OVR: I wish I had an answer for you. I've been looking for a decent board tuner in southern cal for a while now. I've found a good ski tuner or two, but they don't do boards.

I can tell you where NOT to go at least. Don't drop your board off at the Van Nuys Val Surf. They say they have a stone grinder, but they only have a belt grinder, and they WAY over grind and leave way too many ptex hairs.

Also when I was stoopid noob, I took my freestyle board to the bev hills Sport Chalet. Later i found out they just hand sanded the board and put a paste was on top, without even a buff! Useless.

Regarding that good ski tuner, Claude at Skinetsports in Studio City is a pro, particularly at boot fitting. He is a ski only guy, but he's probably your best bet for insoles and boot fitting in the LA area. I think he is the only ABB registered bootfitter in so cal. Check out his shop if you have a chance:

http://www.skinetsports.com/

I'm definitely paying the $55 + $30 for the PTC tune, and the wax/scrape by Shaggy. The Madd 168BX I had in the past had a fresh tune by Shaggy, and I have never seen edges so sharp and perfect as on that board. Everyone getting a new Madd should definitely select this option. The boards are no doubt worth it!

hey skidoc...have you seen the "Rays Way" tuning stuff?

what are your thoughts on hot waxing (direct iron contact?)

any suggestions for those of us who would like to maintain our boards ourselves?

Im considering having my coiler shipped to you for the initial grind and structure, but I certainly cant ship it every time I want to do this!

also...how often do you recommend boards get base grinds?

Hey John,

PTC is in Framingham at the Summit Ski & Snowboard shop...but they also have a Summit Ski & Snowboard shop in Danvers, MA at/or near the Liberty Tree Mall off of Endicott St off of route 128! If you drop it off at the Danvers store, they drive the equipment to be tuned down to Framingham! That's what I do!

Mikes work is worth it!!!

Originally posted by oldvolvosrule

If I ship my boards to you, would you tune and ship back. Not sure if there is a place in Southern Cal that I would entrust my boards too unless someone here has a suggestion, D sub?? Nekdut??

No problem. Ship the boards in a board bag then in a box. Remove stompads. Send them to:

Precision Tuning Center

1000 Worcester Road

Framingham, MA 01702

508 875 6905

Include your name and phone #. I will call you when they arrive and discuss my evaluation of your rides.

I recommend Fedex 3 day Economy. Purchase a prepaid return label. Ups is also fine, I'll just add the shipping onto your bill.

Thanks for the opportunity. This service is an investment in your equipment. Once it has been done, simple maintenance will keep it fresh for a very long time. Re-grinding is only suggested if too much damage has occured, effecting overall performance and cannot be remedied with conventional sharpening methods.

If we talk on the phone I will be able to discuss in greater detail how to maintain your investment.

Skidoc

Originally posted by D-Sub

hey skidoc...have you seen the "Rays Way" tuning stuff?

what are your thoughts on hot waxing (direct iron contact?)

any suggestions for those of us who would like to maintain our boards ourselves?

Im considering having my coiler shipped to you for the initial grind and structure, but I certainly cant ship it every time I want to do this!

also...how often do you recommend boards get base grinds?

D-Sub,

I helped Ray Yusi develop and launch his Wax Wizard. It is the shiznit! It works based on line contact pressure and friction. There's no safer way to pound wax into your base without the potential to burn.

Heat is what builds boards and skis, and it will be heat that degrades them. It's possible to over do it with iron hot waxing. Too much consistent heat exposure to graphite sintered base material will slowly close the pores that absorb wax in the first place. Burned bases are identified by light and dark shading of the base itself. When scraping, the scraper will tend to stick and grab instead of peel wax smoothly from the base. Where the scraper grabs the base is where the grey residue will come up in the wax scrapings. These signs indicate a successful wax base burn. Stone grinding is the only way to remove the old base material and reveal a fresh layer.

Using the Wax Wizard frequently and properly, ensures more stable base density and porosity. In otherwords, the effects of abrasion come very slowly over time, and gliding characterisitics of the base will continue to work over a broad range of temps and conditions.

The first and most important component to base longevity is a proper stone grind and structuring that leaves the base material super smooth. Whenever a base has a rough or unfinshed grind, or belt finish, the rough base surface will incur abrasion at a higher rate as a result of more friction from the snow crystal.

Abrasion is when the base begins to go grey. This is the result of the soot-graphite partical leaving the sintered plastic base. It cannot be replaced by any amount of wax, and the base is not "dry." Brand new skis and boards will not turn grey sitting on the rack in a store, there is no such thing as oxidization of sintered graphite base material. However, wax does oxidize.

So when your base is massively grey from abrasion, it will affect the overall performance of the ride and can only be remedied with proper stone grinding.

So yeah, the Wax Wizard is awesome, and will no doubt extend the life of your board in general.

A board refinish performed at PTC should happen only once a year. Once the board is guaranteed correct, simple maintenance is all that is required to keep your ride in top condition. My structure works in all conditions. I never grind for specific conditions as this will pigeon hole the performance, and will erradicate the longevity of your board. Removing one structure and properly replacing it with another is not a small task. Remember, low variables always lead to greater success!

Believe me, I come from the "old school" of hot waxing and flat filing, and just like the "Model T" it has been replaced with a far superior means of task accomplishment.

Sorry for the rambling.

Later,

Skidoc

skidoc

the wax whizard isnt the only thing Ray has for sale though. The other tuning tools he have look interesting as well. Edge and base tools especially

I guess they would be more suited for exactly what youre talking about..maintenance. I dont think Id want to try to flatten a board by myself without some in-person guidance.

so...if one were to have boards tweaked by you once a year...would you recommend the other rays way stuff for edge maintenance?

thanks much! youre definitely not rambling. Ive always done my own boards, and only had a base grind done once and it didnt come out so good.

sure wish there was someone like you who was a little closer so I didnt have to ship across the entire country (that alone costs $25 one way so we're talking $125 per board!)

also...would you recommend your services for a smaller freestyle board? a 178 powder board? Id assume edges and base perfection would be more important in a carving/race board, no?

D-Sub,

Yes, Ray's tools are very crafty, and all of his edge maintenance items work extremely well. The specific 3M paper he uses to sharpen edges is amazing. Ray is an ex-Polaroid engineer, and we share a common passion for edge tolerance.

I fully re-finished Ray' skis for him 2 seasons ago. He skis a great deal, but does not beat on his skis. His tools combined with my refinish has kept him away from my stone grinder for a mighty long time.

Trust me D-Sub, you'll be nothing short of thrilled if you choose to have your board re-finished. It will be well worth the shipping cost. If you don't think it is after you have ridden the board, I'll refund all of your money no problem. All of my refinish work is guaranteed!

All boards benefit from a variable free finish. It provides them with effortless performance regardless of the discipline.

Don't be afraid to get hooked, you'll never know unless you try!

Regards,

Skidoc

thanks again for the response!

I wasnt doubting your skills OR the value! Only the actual cost. Im not wealthy:)

Ill probably have my coiler shipped to you direct from the factory. Im on the MADD list too...heh...that one also! But they want $30 for shipping, so...thats another expense:)

(yes, I know, the boards are much cheaper than they could be)

heck...wonder if I could box up the other two together somehow...

finding board boxes isnt easy either!

tell you what...Ill fly you out here. cost about the same;)

D-Sub, If you are interested in shipping boards back for a tune, how bout shipping them back with mine. I have a Prior 4WD 179 to send back. I just sent a board to Wi via FedEx Ground and that seemed to be the most cost effiecient way to ship vs. UPS. WE can lash the boards together with some foam spacers between them and split the costs. Let me know what you think.

Originally posted by oldvolvosrule

D-Sub, If you are interested in shipping boards back for a tune, how bout shipping them back with mine. I have a Prior 4WD 179 to send back. I just sent a board to Wi via FedEx Ground and that seemed to be the most cost effiecient way to ship vs. UPS. WE can lash the boards together with some foam spacers between them and split the costs. Let me know what you think.

that might work, actually. I have two freeride boards I might get done, and then...heck..Im on the list for a coiler AND a madd170

sucky thing is when I ordered them I had the money. Things have changed somewhat...

the coiler Ill probably just have bruce ship direct. no sense having it shipped to me then to get tuned...

seriously though..isnt there anyone that can do this in SoCal? Why are there so few folks who do it right?

I smell a small business opportunity!

Originally posted by Bob Jenney

How many days have you had on the slope flailing with a crappy tune? Since he’s been working on my boards, my days of frustration have been few and far between. Now I’m the weak link. I have no more excuses.

In all honesty, Ive never once thought "hell, my board isnt tuned right and thats causing me to ride poorly"

ever. seriously. Of course...Ive had the wrong wax, or been riding in the spring in tahoe and gotten pine tar and junk all over my base...

but Ive always kept my edges damn sharp, bases clean, and wax applied.

now Im about as curious as it gets to see what a "real tune" feels like.

I almost doubt Im good enough a rider to really know the difference