Note to New Members ×

205 mph ticket, can you beat it?

outsider

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Air drag increases as the square of speed. That is, if you double your speed, you quadruple your air drag. So to go from 180 to 200, you're looking at a 23% increase in air drag alone. Then there's rolling friction of the tires, and mechanical friction, all which increase with speed. A gentle slope and a tailwind aren't going to make up for all that.

The majority of the increased resistance is air drag. Are you saying 20 mph of tailwind isn't worth near 20 mph on the top end?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air drag increases as the square of speed. That is, if you double your speed, you quadruple your air drag. So to go from 180 to 200, you're looking at a 23% increase in air drag alone.

Don't ever attempt to fly an airplane. You clearly don't understand the difference between air speed and ground speed.

Sic

Originally posted by sic t 2

Don't ever attempt to fly an airplane. You clearly don't understand the difference between air speed and ground speed.

Sic

Ahem. Well then... sure, if you have a 20mph tailwind that never dips below 20mph, and is perfectly aligned with your direction of travel, then yes, a 180mph bike might do 200mph - neglecting the other frictions that increase with speed.

Hmm.. so what is the fastest you got pulled over and let go!

Funny you asked! I don't speed,,much! Just this Sunday I was running late for a morning Tee time! hey, golf is just like snowboarding! anyway, I was going about 100 to 110 until I got close to the suburbs then was around 90,, oh yea im on a highway. I-271

it was 8:00am I figured cops were getting thier donuts for the shift change anyway so what are the odds,, I drive this road every weekend so go for it I said.

Well I saw the cop pull up behind me,, I knew it was over so I just pulled over and had my stuff ready to hand him! Hey what could I say!

Well when he said "I got ya doing 84mph in a 60" "any reason why your going this fast?"

I told him flat out,, its my moms birthday and Im late for a tee time and told him the course..

he takes my stuff goes to his car, then comes right back,, as says!

"I appreciate you bieng so honest with me, and since your so honest Im gonna let ya go! Sorry to slow ya down!" HONEST!

Then we talked about bikes and Ducatis! thats Two in one month..

the other one I tried to out run.. but he geussed correctly at a turn so he found me..

Must be the Friendly juice they been serving?

Whew! said Shred.. Can't afford it,, too much snowboard stuff to buy!

No blood no foul!

then yes, a 180mph bike might do 200mph - neglecting the other frictions that increase with speed.

Sorry to be a little abrupt in that last post Jack.

I'm glad to see that now you don't even see the need for the shot of nitrous to reach 200 mph.

Sic

Originally posted by Shred Gruumer

Hmm.. so what is the fastest you got pulled over and let go!

85 in a 65, but that's not a very interesting story.

The interesting story is from back in my stupid newbie squid motorcyclist days - don't try this at home kids. About 6 years ago I was riding my motorcycle down a four lane (two each way) boulevard with several stop lights. I was approaching a red light in the right lane when a dude in a BMW M3 zooms past me in the left lane and comes to an abrupt halt at the light. I pulled up next to him and could tell he thought he was hot stuff in his M3. At the green light, he tore away so I decided to give chase just to let him know he wasn't the fastest/coolest/manliest guy on the road that day. Being on a bike I immediately caught up, but rather than pulling away I just stayed right with him, as if to say "I could drop you if I felt like it". This continued for the next 5 lights, at supra-legal speeds. At the 6th light, I look over and we exchange a "hang loose" hand gesture, ending the duel. I was still in the right lane but had to make a left turn. So when the light turned green I took the hole-shot and cut left in front of him.

So I'm laughing to myself in my helmet and cruising on home towards my apartment, when the siren came on. A cop had been following us the entire time. I parked the bike, took off my helmet and got out my papers. The cop read me the riot act, grabbed my stuff and went back to the car. A moment later he comes back and says "what the hell is going on here?" My registration had expired, but the sticker on my plate had not. I explained that for some reason the clerk at the DMV had given me the wrong sticker, but the cop suspected the plate was stolen. Then he pointed out that my insurance card was expired, and I explained that I had just gotten a new one in the mail and that I could bring him to my apartment around the corner to show it to him if he wanted. To which he replied that my street was across town. "Oh yeah, I just moved." I said. "How long ago?" "6 weeks." "You're supposed to change your address on your licence within 30 days - that's another fine! Don't move, I'll be right back" he said and walked back to his cruiser. A second later he comes storming back, drops all my stuff in my lap and exclaims "get out of my face before I throw the book at you!!" Apparantly he didn't want to deal with the reams of paperwork I would have required!

I know, stupid stupid stupid. Live and learn, right?

Why try to bash the story - accept it for what was the intent of the storyteller. Who cares if the speed is possibly off by 15%? If he were to crash at 150 he'd be as dead if crashed at 205 mph. If he hit an innocent bystander or vehicle it still would not matter too much. Bottom line is the ticket was written with 205 mph in a 65 which is pretty incredible. ( Now watch as someone says it is off by 16%):D

Jack, think about it this way: If you hadn't been stupid, you wouldn't have ended up with a very interesting story to tell. The lesson here is that if you're smart, you're boring, and no one wants to be boring. :)

As for my own stories.....well, there was that time in VT when I was going somewhere north of 140 and was called in......then that time I was pulled over for speeding in a golf cart....there's also the most recent citation which ended up with the officer losing his job.....

Where do I begin? :D

involved my brother, my wife, and of course, myself. We'd just entered a parking lot and I spotted 2 cruisers,lights off, sitting. Just as I was going to yell at my brother, he pulled a wheelie. Of course, the lights came on and we stopped. Each cop wrote us both tickets for neg. driving. Went to court, Wife and I and my brother all testified that I hadn't done anything, judge said that it was strange for 3 witnesses to disagree with an officers testimony, ticket tossed out. My bro, whose first name is alphabetically after mine, bit the bullet on his ticket. Funny things are said cop had a d.w.i .tossed out of court just before my case, and the next time I saw said officer, he was driving the state patrol commercial scale truck! BTW, in my humble opinion, anything over 150 on a freeway is flat scary, 'cause the closing speed on vehicles is too quick, and $#!# happens!

Originally posted by mirror70

The salt flats are much much slower than pavement. Until 2000, the record for a "stock bodied" 1.5L car there was only 142mph. That class allows for unlimited engine mods as long as the body of the car is stock-looking. A completely stock 150HP Audi A4 with the limiter removed will do 142mph (yes, I know it's a slightly bigger engine, but it's also stock).

Funny everyone saythat but speeds are remarkablly similar between good Salt and Maxton in NC(paved)...the salt just allows for a longer run. The downside of the salt is wheelspin Perfect conditions don't come along that often but when they do things like 245mph on a worx Busa are posible...Part of the deal with the low records at the salt is that people aren't actually trying to beat them. Sure there are folks who's only goal is to collect records in obscure classes (like -50cc sidecar/43mph last I heard) but many of the class records sit vacant or unchallenged for years because conditions aren't right or just that no one wants the record. The salt an Maxton are a pretty acurate example of how fast vehicles can go. anyway the problem as states above the hp needed between 180mph and 200mph is immense and NOS alone won't give it to you without detonating the engine between you legs. The other problem that I have heard is that the Busa in particular is rather unstable over 195mph and doen't seem to settle down until about 212mph. The front end does not stay down and requires 4-5 inches of swingarm to correct unless you have the hp to blow through this speed range.

Some friends have been campaigning a motorcycle for a while on the salt and at Maxton. The bike is a Buell RR1000...3 years ago with full NOS Boost it turned mid 180's. Realizing that they had pretty much acheived all they could with that Power Plant they went for a new engine in the same frame (the Buell RR body is one of the most Aerodynamic ever) they got the same top speed non NOS boosted with 1639cc. Yes that's a jump of 639cc and with a 20hp boost from NOS blasted over the 200mph mark still accelerating on the 5 mile course at 208 and change. Total Hp was approximatly 180-190 (this was a pushrod twin) They were able to get same top speed as the MotoGP do with aproximatly 75% the power because of Aerodynamics. Modern street motorcycles aren't near as aero as the manufactuers would like you to beleive.

supposed to be taken from the guy's post on a bike forum

205mph

All right, I was the one who got the ticket and it is time to clear some things up. For one, I was riding a 2003 Honda RC51, "heavily modified" with 2 Brothers slip on pipes and, well thats all the mods I have unless you count the "I stop for wh***s" sticker. Next, the bike wasn't impounded, it was towed so it wouldn't be in the roadway. Ok, on to the tickets. 205...uh no. I am personal friends with the owner of "Hitman Motorsports" and tonight, Sept. 22, we did a top speed run on his dyno, in 6th gear, and maxed nearly 60mph slower than I was arrested for. The "no motorcycle endorsement" is because my licence was expired, I do have a motorcycle endoresement for all you people digging into me about that. The stop watch method may be accurate at times, but this is un-conceivable for my motorcycle to approach 205. Honda's RC211v, which is Honda's MotoGP race bike, 5 cyclinders and 268 horespower, just broke 200mph on the track within the last week. And we are talking about a 1/2 to 3/4 million dollar bike. And for you gear-heads, I had on Joe Rocket Boots, Shoei helmet, Leather gloves, Ballistic coat, and leather bottoms. Also, both of us were arrested, and no, the slower one did not get a warning, he was ticketed for 111mph on a F4i. I hope this clears things up for everybody, I am just sick of everyone saying things about what they dont know, making me look like this horrific person. People speed, and if anyone knows anything about the "Flood Run" (which was the ride I was on, which by the way benefits the Gillettes Children Fund) I would be a hell of a lot more concerned about the 7,000 bar-hopping motorcyclist out on the road. 99% of the people you hear things from are misinformed. If you have questions, I will answer them. And one last note, this is information you don't know, the pilot who clocked me, was clocking me, the F4i, and flying his plane at 110mph all at the same time. Think about that for a second.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0922042speed1.gif

The guy down the road from me had a CBR600F4i. He rode that thing on the edge. You could hear him a good mile away when he would come home at night. I haven't seen him around for a couple of weeks. Found out last weekend that he slammed into an empty haywagon that was crossing the road. County sheriff estimated his speed at about 120mph. He sheared the haywagon and himself in half. Left a pregnant wife and son. Don't mean to be a bummer but I had to give my 2 cents.

Originally posted by sic t 2

The cop is a pinhead.

But I like the '99 Hayabusa. Lots of potential there in stock form.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums

Sic

The top speed of a lot of bikes was good to see.. my Corvette beats 98% of them... :D Holy Crap Bat Man-- !!!!!! what a can of worms I just opened.....

Originally posted by C5 Golfer

The top speed of a lot of bikes was good to see.. my Corvette beats 98% of them... :D Holy Crap Bat Man-- !!!!!! what a can of worms I just opened.....

Alright....enough of the pitter-patter. :)

So let's hear it....

What's the fastest that people have ever been...driver or passenger....car, motorcycle, boat, bike, skis, snowboard, etc....?

Originally posted by Enzo

Alright....enough of the pitter-patter. :)

So let's hear it....

What's the fastest that people have ever been...driver or passenger....car, motorcycle, boat, bike, skis, snowboard, etc....?

Car? 140mph My old 1966 mustang (The cop only ticketed me for 75mph after seeing my Military ID thank you Texas)

Motorcycle? Mine? 105mph (its a Buell Blast almost stock) any motorcycle? +125mph Duc 998 (and terrified to to give it more gas.

Boat? 42kts USS Nimitz

Bike? +60mph downhill road, 46mph offroad on the old Kamikazee at Mammoth

Ski??? NOT

Snowboard? I was clocked in the low 50's at Stowe on my old 200cm Flite (in 3 strap softies) but that was scary and not anywhere near in control