Note to New Members ×

BENT or BROKEN

www.oldsnowboards.com

Like those new carbonlooklike Priordecks. Pitty you broke yours. Also that Kessler from Buel, looks like those boards can't handle stiff bindings/plates. I am very interested how many stress there will be on boards with for instance the new Boiler Plate. I am gonna use these dampers this season for the first time. Funny that I see no broken Coilers.

post-105-141842327704_thumb.jpg

Like those new carbonlooklike Priordecks. Pitty you broke yours. Also that Kessler from Buel, looks like those boards can't handle stiff bindings/plates. I am very interested how many stress there will be on boards with for instance the new Boiler Plate. I am gonna use these dampers this season for the first time. Funny that I see no broken Coilers.

BlueB had the broken Kessler. That might have been what you meant to type.

From what people who have ridden plates say about them increasing pressure on the nose, I was waiting for that to happen. Especially with so many plates on boards not built for them.

Coiler's very rarely break. Interesting isn't it. Bruce seems to like durable boards.

• 2 weeks later...
We talk about this before...when we have a problem with damage...

but I think the problem is the solid, binding construct, or user error...because the boards do not seem suited to the focus of severe instantaneous flatspot caused by the rigid binding...

there is always the cry for manufacture defect...because the recommended stance and setback etc is always the cry...but few carbonfiber/titan construct were designed to accommodate these CNC bindings, some day manufacturers will caveat the warranty with this clause.

I think manufacturer designs his and her board for plastic bindung, not NASA grade metals or alloy...but I could ask a manufacturer if his construct will stand leverage created by bomber or catek or CNC heavyduty binding? Of course, I could always be wrong.

It seems to me that the company should not allow frivolity for claims...everyone must take responsibility for the choices they will make. It is a dangerous sport, yea? 110

Given that Sigi rides on Sidewiders with a plate, I certainly hope his boards have been designed to handle aluminum bindings.

I wonder how that board snapped though, it doesn't look like it's point loading. I'm curious if it broke at the carbon reinforcement they pop in near the inserts.

On a positive note, the nylon topsheet held up very well.

Hans,

Where did you get that damper? It looks like carbon fiber. Can I get my hands on a set of those?

Thanks Ace! I'll see if I can translate through the site and order some. I have a new board coming with a real wood top sheet and was thinking these would be nice so my bindings don't leave marks. Bonus that they are functional as well.

Just hit the american flag button on the Virus site, everything will become your language.

39 EUR = $51 USD

You buy expensive shirts Bryan. I was thinking these were going to be closer to 20 bucks.

Add- Less than a long sleeve t-shirt in the Virus store. :eplus2::biggthump

And no, I don't buy expensive shirt, only expensive snowboards (and not much of that lately :( )

• 4 weeks later...

Huh, this is getting serious... I never broke a board before, now I'm on the 2nd one, just within few weeks :( All it took was a relativelly low speed fall over a big chunk of ice under the pow... Full delam and bend, from binding to the beggining of nose decamber...

Ok, it's an Aggression Steel 163 (h/b freeride shape), those are notorious, I know. However, the board lasted whole 2 hrs. Very sweet 2 hours, I have to say - one of the best rides of this type, I've ever tried. I bought it in pretty much NOS condition, as a wall piece. However, I had to try it out in todays pow. I'm not pissed off it broke, I'm pissed off I couldn't get few more days out of it!

post-1678-141842332314_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842332316_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I rode this board all of 5 days after buying it off of Alex on the sell forum. I had it out on fresh soft groom at Revelstoke and buried the nose into some soft stuff. I came to an abrupt yet calm stop and found that I submarined (is that a word?) the nose.

The more people I talk to the more I realize that this is an odd direction for this break.

Oh well, at least Ann won a certificate towards a new Virus at the SES banquet. She's going to let me use it to get a replacement board.

post-1299-14184233599_thumb.jpg

post-1299-141842335992_thumb.jpg

Sorry for your loss... What was that? AMT?

What is the stuff we see in the crack, the funny checkered pattern? Carbon, or something else?

I think the CF looks funny because some strands pulled out.

Good luck figuring out that break though, that's just weird.

It seems like failure modes aren't very obvious, look at the tail break on the Rossi...

This is an interesting thread!

• 3 weeks later...

phuk mi. killed my donek gs170 (sorry roy). a victim of soft snow. thought I'd be fine sticking to the groomers today, and had a good time making deep trenches until, whilst bending it into a frontside carve heard a *pop*, and got tossed off the line. saw my newly decambered nose and limped it gingerly back to the car. rip, little donek; fun while it lasted.

85647ee5.jpg

e90cb269.jpg

phuk mi. killed my donek gs170 (sorry roy). a victim of soft snow.

First: Good to know you're alright.

Two boards in a season:confused: Aah well you'll get your FLC soon:rolleyes:

What's going on with YVR Carvers, seems there is a competition who can destroy most decks ;)

Give us update on Cypress Diaries 2010-2011

Cheers

RT:D