Note to New Members ×

New Board Ideas for a big guy who likes speed

carvedog

Sorry for the lengthy blog in advance.

Ok - so some of you know about my board preferences and stuff but I am going to run it down a bit as I am looking for suggestions for a new carve board. Been trying to make SES for years but with schedules, kids and money tight it didn't happen. So I haven't ridden anything new for a while.

I am around 250 right now. 6 foot. And I have been teaching for sixteen years. I do ride softies on the beginner, beginner hill but hbs for everything else.

I ride fast, hard groomers at Super G speed, if I am eurocarving more then I will slow it down a bit to GS speeds or a bit slower. The older I get the less I enjoy hard contact with the snow, plus it wears my sh!t out and slows me down. So I am dragging less and less these days. I used to race some GS, Super G and did several downhills 'back in the day'. Not sure I am going to race much anymore but would love to run a couple of the super gs on our local hill. Sun Valley btw.

My favorite board is a Sims Burner 197. The red one. I have had it for ten years and not had the tail snap=might be easy on boards?? This is the board that does not let me down as long as I don't give up on the turn. I have found that I can jump carve and feed the nose in early to turn off the front half of the board more. Or shift hips back and turn off the tail. I can bend the tail harder and tighten up the turn radius if I want too. This board has proven very versatile to me. More than it was designed for. I don't do bumps on it, but not afraid of choppier groom, just keep it on edge.

Also have a 188 Burner that I like. It seems softer off the tail and easier to fold the tail and/or loose edge hold back there.

18cm waist on both the burners with Burton Race plates and riding about 65F/63R.

My "freeride" board of choice is a 185 Burton Frontier. I like this board a lot. Stiff enough to carve on but I could rip into the pow at speed as well as do most tree runs as long as not too tight. It is pretty beat and I got a Tanker 192 that I was really liking until I hit that submerged tree branch off of Upper Holiday. Frontier was running Burton plates at about 45f/45r.

My teaching board is a Canyon 173 riding about 38F/35R on Burton plates as well.

I am trying to work hard enough to get the TD3s this winter and a NS race design to try to step into the current century with some of my gear.

I would love to hear any suggestions or input from some of you bigger, harder riding guys on what has worked or what hasn't. Let's be respectful on the what hasn't cuz as a Clydesdale class rider I don't expect anything to not break with me orver time.

Thanks.

If you can't afford new gear, aka metal yet go for some of the classic big boards. I'd say you are a candidate for a Madd 180. The Madd 180 is a classic big board and rides very well. You'll really enjoy this board based on your description of your riding style and pulling high speed turns. I think there is a 180 for sale in the classifieds.

Otherwise I'd look for some of the new metal boards with the decambered hammered noses with larger side cuts. Don't be shy of boards with a 18m radius, you can bend them into a smaller arc.

my brotha! Serious bang for the buck (a hell of alot of snappy carbon in my custom) made by two really big dudes in Bend Oregon. I myself am not big but I'm pretty aggro and I know we share a penchant for long boards we can ride anywhere.Of course, I have yet to ride my new 210 but after riding several of their protos, with Able and Eric's help I spec'd the design to do it it all including some switch,pow and even blasting through the typically easy Nastar courses we have up here. I will be posting a detailed review when I do get on it.And yes,It is nonmetal.

Of course,I wouldn't argue with Billy's board either,I rode his kickass 175 metal at SES but I felt compelled to trumpet my new stick's creators too.

Seems you really can't go wrong with what's available in such a tight community of riders and makers.

SIlly Good is the only stick I would bring to SunValley on a trip, New school burner.

+1 :biggthump

If you haven't ridden a metal board this is the best of both worlds, 2 + meters and metal. what's not to like ?

I had a 2 meter standard construction donek so am no stranger to big boards, the silly good won't dissapoint you.

Seems like the SillyGood would need to be complimented by something shorter for days when you don't have the real-estate or conditions to go Mach 2...?

Coiler NSR 185 worked great on the wider carving trails at Sugarloaf - "wider" by eastern standards, that is.

Only if your afraid. Sun Valley has more than enough groomed real estate to make this board very practical. After all Jack, it is going to be a Burner replacement.

Yes, I am a very timid rider. ;)

What is the radius on that Burner 197? I don't think it was anywhere near 30?

Only if your afraid. Sun Valley has more than enough groomed real estate to make this board very practical. After all Jack, it is going to be a Burner replacement.

Maybe I should be - but I'm not too afraid of speed. The nice thing about the burners is that I can anchor down pretty well when I need to scrub speed in a very predictable manner.

Say going from 60-65 back down to 25 to 30, and not feel like I am going to get bucked off. That is why I liked the Burner for the downhill races.

Thanks to everyone for reading and throwing in some comments.

Yes, I am a very timid rider.

What is the radius on that Burner 197? I don't think it was anywhere near 30?

It was around 22 I think.

If you ever got to ride here Jack, you might understand better. I sit and cherry pick my openings a bit more these days, but I usually get to ride deserted slope. As in No One - on the whole run.

I am timid in traffic too - if I ever hit anyone they would probably die. :nono:

I have a 190 Rossignol World Cup GS board. Boardy rode it twice, I rode it a few days, but Its too stiff for me. it is near mint condition.

Its a cadillac with air-ride suspension at speeds around 35mph or more.... saddly I couldnt turn it being a "lightweight" guy.

LMK if interested.

Carvedog, I rode both the NSR 182 and the SillyGood at 09 SES. It sounds like you are looking for a super stable, large radius turning board.

The NSR felt like a very good replacement for the Donek Das Amputator 201 but if you played your weight forward or back you could easily tighten up or lengthen the turn, this maked the board even more versitile for days with a larger meat gate population.

The HB SillyGood was also a great ride. Very stable, I think I was too light (or I did not ride it on the right steepness of slope, i.e. needed to be on something steeper than Buttermilk) to really make it work well, but it has tons of potential. It seemed to require either a ton of speed or weight to get the board turning. I do not think I spent enough time on it to give it a fair evaluation. It was a blast though.

Both boards have variable geometry so playing weight to the differing side cuts makes both of the boards much more versitle than traditional radial sidecuts. Both boards have that magic Titanal that contributes to a board that will stay hooked up when you normally are thinking you are goin to loose an edge. Both factors make the new board game changers.

Neither board would let you down, SillyGood's are more readily available than getting on the Coiler build list.

That is my 170 lbs of 2 cents.

SIMS BURNER SPECS

SIZE____________ 162____ 167 split tail__ 178 split tail__ 188 split tail__ 197 split tail

EFFECTIVE EDGE__ 144.0__ 149.0___________ 156.0___________ 170.5____________180

WAIST WIDTH_____ 18.2___ 18.0____________ 18.2____________ 18.15____________18.2

SETBACK_________ 2.0____ 3.5_____________ 1.5_____________ 1.5

SIDECUT RADIUS__ 1018___ 1200____________ 1600____________ 1672_____________19