Note to New Members ×

Le Massif expansion!

CarvCanada

This is so sweet for Quebecers and any Americans looking to benefit from their high dollar. Le Massif is already such a sweet mountain for carving, and now it has changed owners and is investing 5 million for a ****load of snowmaking equipment and a few new runs. Most of the new runs are difficult glades, but there are already many sweet wide blues, and maybe these new runs will suck away skiers into them like sponges so we can enjoy them even more! They even include carving shot for promotion :)

a7csk

Le Massif is indeed a REALLY nice mountain, but for carving, I'm not sure. For the two times I went with my carving board, one time the snow was to soft for my board, the other time there was too much ice. So I haven't really enjoyed carving there, but like I said, a really nice mountain for the sight.

Derf

Snowguns don't prevent ice, they MAKE ice! Seriously, the snow created by snowguns is denser (smaller cristals) and packs more easily, making ice after a while. Before they had snowguns, they didn't have any ice. Mountains buy snowguns to open earlier and close later, not to prevent ice. Nothing like natural snow.

I went in early January of 2003, that is when I got the ice. Usually, conditions are at their best mid-january to february/early march.

Derf

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have vacation time they have to use up.

I'm going to leMassif for the week before Christmas with my family. They are offering a free lift ticket on the 19th if you dress as Santa/pere Noel. Discounts also available for booklets of 10tickets good for the season.(some blackout periods)

see you there

Guest Matt D

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to comment on how much I like Massif. Never have ridden my hard boots there, but there looks to be lots of terrain. If you like steeps, you'll find some nice ones there too.

I'm currently planning a Ste Anne, Massif, Stoneham trip for me and some friends around March 6-12. We're gonna have a nice big place that sleeps 8-12. I might have some room available, and I'll post any info once things are more final.

Originally posted by Matt D

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to comment on how much I like Massif. Never have ridden my hard boots there, but there looks to be lots of terrain. If you like steeps, you'll find some nice ones there too.

I'm currently planning a Ste Anne, Massif, Stoneham trip for me and some friends around March 6-12. We're gonna have a nice big place that sleeps 8-12. I might have some room available, and I'll post any info once things are more final.

I (surely like the others from the Belle Province) will be waiting for any updates:D

Derf

We were going from Quebec City to Tadoussac last summer and stopped off at La Massif. I was surprised to see no overnight facilities for miles. Where do you stay that is a reasonable drive to the slopes?

They also ran me off the slope while out walking.

db

We were going from Quebec City to Tadoussac last summer and stopped off at La Massif. I was surprised to see no overnight facilities for miles. Where do you stay that is a reasonable drive to the slopes?

big name for small place

Petite-Riviere de St Francois is a small village at the base beside the St Lawrence. A variety of accomodation can be found there.

db

Sorry to hear you were run off the mountain. I'd like to do some hiking there myself

Guest Matt D

I'm planning on staying at Ste Anne. There's some nice places with these people. Rates are very good, previous times we averaged $25CAD per person/night for excellent accomodation. Its 30 seconds to Ste Anne, 30 minutes from Massif, and around 45 minutes from Stoneham.

nice place

I've stayed there before. Do they still offer a discount for instructors and coaches?

for this trip I'm committing ourselves to le Massif for the entire week. I've only managed two day trips to leMassif from Ste-Anne before and we're all a little tired of Ste-Anne. We've been going there for years and my whole family has instructed there.

got a 3BR chalet for $810 for 7days tax included. sleeps 8

If you're going to le Massif in March this year check out the deals on booklets of 10tickets. Totally transferrable. You can use all 10 in a single day if you want. You just have to buy them now or before Dec24th for the best savings.

Guest Matt D
I've stayed there before. Do they still offer a discount for instructors and coaches?

Yes they do. :D

I agree Rob, I'm getting a little bored with Ste Anne. Everytime I go its icy. I do still enjoy 1 or 2 day trips there though. I figure that accomodation will be the best/most affordable with Chalets Montmorency, so I'm willing to be 30 mins from Massif. Besides, if there happens to be some good snow, Ste Anne would be fun and close. I've never ridden Stoneham but I've heard good things.

From where I live Quebec city is 6 Hrs drive and Sunday River/Sugarloaf are 6 Hrs.

Value for dollar Quebec > Maine/New Hampshire.