Note to New Members ×

OT - Video/Still/Multimedia SW Question (and example)

Guest thomas_m

Guest thomas_m

A while back, I put togther a 'slideshow' of some of my surfing and street pics all taken around the same area:

ButtholeVille

I've got some ideas for a new one and I'd also like to do some with snowboarding/carving this winter. However, I'd like to include video as well as stills.

What's a good SW package that can handle the video/stills/music? Adobe Premiere and the like are a little too pricey & full-featured for my use but I haven't seen any cheap shareware options that do stills and video. Something < $100 would be cool.

TIA,

Thomas

of Adobe PS/Premiere are sometimes available for waaaaay reduced prices. And earlier versions (PS>5.0, Premiere>5.5) will do the still/video stuff you want to do. A google/froogle/EBay search may turn up some good values.

As an added bonus, you can often upgrade to the most recent version for a much lower cost than buying the recent SW at rack rate.

FWIW

Originally posted by Derf

There's Cinerella, it is free and seems complete, but runs only on Linux http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

Derf

Yes... but:

"Cinelerra is not for consumer use. If ease of use, simplicity, and convenience, or stylishness are your thing, you should use Virtualdub, Kino, MJPEG tools or MainActor instead."

I would add installation issues (needed packages, versions e.t.c.).

I guess not everyone is in fun of playing with difficult software. Well at least, a regular user is not a Linux enthusiast yet.

Guest thomas_m

Thanks guys. Looks like there's an 'Elements' version of Premiere that I didn't know existed. Looks like it'll do everything I need and I'm familiar with the interface after several years of Photoshop.

T.

Originally posted by Maciek

Yes... but:

"Cinelerra is not for consumer use. If ease of use, simplicity, and convenience, or stylishness are your thing, you should use Virtualdub, Kino, MJPEG tools or MainActor instead."

I would add installation issues (needed packages, versions e.t.c.).

I guess not everyone is in fun of playing with difficult software. Well at least, a regular user is not a Linux enthusiast yet.

You're right. I never edited any video (other then downloaded ones with VirtualDub). I don't know the Adobe Premiere, but I though it was professional grade, my mistake. VirtualDub is good for doing cuts and small stuff, but not really video editing as per say (from what I know). Anyway, it was worth the shot!;) Kino looks nice though, but it's Linux only again...

Looking back at the original question, maybe VirtualDub would suffice...

Derf

Adobe's suit of software is considered pro quality, there is better software such as Avid but that is usually part of an actual editing bay not a home computer...many a video has been edited on a MAC in Premeire, especially in the field. Final Cut Pro is another very good editing program. We "use" AVID at my job (USS KittyHawk Photolab) however half the time that's just for authoring with the bulk of the editing being done on a better computer with just Premeire.