Note to New Members ×

Okemo - From SkiPressWorld

Pat Donnelly

Ludlow, Vermont (Ski Press)-New terrain, an assortment of culinary options and the fully open, fully functional Jackson Gore Inn and base facility have made Okemo a bigger version of its loveable self.

Going from peak to peak is now easier than ever with more trails, an expanded beginner area and a newly paved road connecting the Okemo base to the Jackson Gore base. Two new gladed trails have been added at Jackson Gore that includes the 3,200-foot long “Supernova” and 1,500-foot long “Black Hole.” Steep, undulating and loaded with excitement, these new glades will provide nearly 10 acres of “au natural” tree skiing to challenge any expert. The new glades are located off Tuckered Out and Upper Limelight.

To insure consistently good snow conditions all season long, Okemo has increased its snowmaking firepower again this season. Various pipe replacements and system enhancements will result in more energy-efficient and dependable snowmaking. A brand-new Bombardier BR grooming machine has been added to the fleet.

Also, every morning the first hour (60 minutes) of lift operation is FREE so Okemo skiers and riders can “check out” the snow conditions before they purchase a lift ticket. Try Before You Buy first hour free is only valid midweek (non-holiday) from 9:00 am until 10:00 am, and on weekends and holiday periods from 8:00 am until 9:00 am.

Check it all out at www.okemo.com.

That's some pretty good stuff they have going on there!

I always liked skiing at Okemo, as long as I get there early! (Taking a bus .5 mile from the lower lots really stinks.)

The terrain is varied, and a lot of fun for all types of skiing and riding. My only gripe about the resort: The food in the main caffeteria is lousy. It is pretty good in the sit-down lodge near the condos, but it's sit down and wait prices, too.

Okemo's sister, Sunapee is also a blast to ski/ride at, and I don't recall it getting nearly as crowded.

They had announced that they were going to scrap the "Try Before You Buy" program but I see they relented.

Jackson Gore is mostly traditional New England winding narrow trails but there are some very nice wide groomed cruisers like Chief and World Cup.

Hope to hook up with some of you guys there this winter.

Pat

World Cup is my fav run on on a long board, by the time I get to the bottom my legs are jello. I've always liked Okemo's conditions, they do get pretty packed on the weekends, but if you head over the left side it is usually pretty empty. I might be up there a few times this year, my buddies parents have a huge condo on Ledgewood, nothing beats stepping in and going right out the back door and your on the slopes :D