Note to New Members ×

What is the oldest gear you still ride?

Derf

Subject says it all: What is the oldest gear you still ride?

I though of this because I read the message in the classified and I browsed www.oldsnoboards.com 's site, and I saw stuff that is not THAT old. I saw a 1995 FreeSurf Highlander 155, the same that I sold 3-4 years ago.

My personnal oldest is my 1993 Burton Air 6.1 with the binding that came with it, Burton Freestyles, all this the first year that Burton came out with the 3D system. It is still my freestyle/freeride board. But I don't get it out much when I go snowboarding, I only see hardpack snow. The boots I had with it (rubber/leather Airwalk Advantage that weighted a ton!) were sold at the same time as the FreeSurf.

Derf

Guest Randy S.

I'lll have to think on this one. I've got a pair of Kerma poles that I got in 1984 that I still use (I don't ski much). I have a Masque that I bought around the same time (it doesn't get cold enough in CA to use it - I keep it for wimpy friends). Oh, and I have a pair of Killy gloves from 1986 that never get much use but are decent back-ups in case stuff gets wet. I've had the same boot bag since 1984. It says Olin skis on it.

I thought my "circa 1997 Donek Incline 168" was too new to mention, but mirror70 has me beat by a mile!!!

BTW that Incline makes one hell of a rock board. The DuraSurf base is close to indestructible. You've really got to work the wax in though. I'm not sure if Sean still uses DuraSurf on request, but if you need a board with a tough-as-nails base, ask him about it.

I have two pair of sims race plates that I've been using since about 94. Never seen another pair in use but they're made out of some kind of carbon fiber and are light weight and bullet proof. They were on my backup board until last year when I went to TD2 step-ins. Now they are third string after my TD 1's

My hard boots are a pair of 91' or 92' Raichle AT boots.

I had just wore out a pair and bought another pair at a Ski Swap nearly new for only $20. Raichle Concordia model

They have been a great boot and I've rode everything with them in the day. K2 gyrator, Nitro Diablo, Option freecarve, MLY race,

Sims Burner 197, and I still ski with them too. What a fantasic boot. And you can walk around easily wearing them without looking like a freaky robot.

Two seasons ago. Spring time, PJ 7 Race arrives, it is so clean , the bindings are even at my angles and stance. I put some wax on it and road it that weekend /last day of the year. Added some vintage Burton neon clothing. Dude stepped right out of 1992!!!

Pull up at the lifts , the lifties , just stood there with their mouths open. Each round they would have new questions. "Dude, why did you cut the tail off!", "Is that , LIKE a snowboard" . It was then that I knew I would have to converge on the area with a number of the local "Old School" and give them them a visual history lesson. I think the time has come to round up the crew and give them a day to remember!!!

PS. Hey Jim, is that the yellow carving board you have ridden in any conditions for years! Now that is good service! Well done!!

Hi to all,

I'm new in here, but want to write something, too ;)

My oldest SB-Gear is a Crazy Banana from about '87 with the binings it came with. It's one of many Brazy Bs built in these years with that crazy yellow and pink colours.

I must admit, that I use it only once a saison in the powder just because it's a board that's so old-fashioned ;) It's a strang feeling because of huge board-width and lot of setback combined with that big nose... but it work wll in the powder ;)

I did not sell it yet, because I won't get any money for it. And so I keep it for remembering the good old times.

Snowboard-wise, I've got a '94 Asym Air that hasn't seen snow for a couple of years but I usually take it as a backup/rock board. I've also got an '89 or '90 Gnu Raceroom that I haven't ridden since I got the Asym Air. I'd have to drag out my old Koflach Damian model boots to ride it because my Raichles won't fit in the Elfgen heelclip bindings and I can't mount more modern bindings on it. I bought a used Tanker 200 last spring so now I've no reason to do that. Can't wait to try the Tanker out. Can't wait to see the look on the lifties' faces at my local hill.

Thanks for your welcome!

Of course I'm alpine, never ever used softboots and I'm proud of it! ;) ;).

If your question about what's hot is about Hardboot-gear: Of course Virus is very hot, I love my WCR70 (170 length, 18.5 width), they will offer something wider (23cm) for this season. Anything alse is kind of disppearing :(... And of cours freestyle-stuff is same style as in the US.

Man, my second board was a Crazy Banana with the v-tail back in 88. The base was somewhat rounded, had Fritschi bindings on it. It was great in powder, that was about it, ended up busting it in the mogules.

My oldest board is an Asym M6 I think its 93-94, with some 91 Burton MDX boots. I still use it once a year for my annual Tuckermanns trip.

Originally posted by P06781

I have a Ride Kildy 169 I use for a early season rock board and mountaineering . I not even sure what year it is ...

Jim

I remember those from the early 90s. Back then, these boards where insanely narrow. How wide is it by the way, I'm very curious to know to compare with modern boards who are all around 18.5 cm.

Thanks,

Derf

every season I bust out the Burton Cruzer 165. I have to wear modern boots, but the board is a trip and always gets some stares. I even passed it off to a kid as a prototype, then let him take it out.

I also run a MADD MIKES Bitchin' Board. plaid topsheet, directional board. 166. body built by k2, usually on that same day. always right at the end of the season.

would any east coast guys be intersted in hooking up for a retro day. we could get some competitions going etc.