Note to New Members ×

Dave Scott Hangs it up

Guest ddr35

oh I remember those 1/2 pipes...and for that matter those snowboards, my first 2-3 boards were horizontal lamination boards...life certainly was differant then...then again lip tricks were a big deal then not just airs (most of us could barely air anyway). These days I still skateboard, halfpipe, pools and downhill...though on completely different setups for each...I spent friday teaching some newschool skaters to skate ramp, they didn't understand the whole bend you knees, pump the tranny thing

I am 26 and I have very mixed feelings 'bout the freestylers (which would probably include some of my riding buddies). I will try to be as objective as possible, though.

The facts:

1. vast vast majority of freestyle riders are kids or early twenties and male. Teenagers are frequently obnoxious, we were all teens once. All trying to impress each other, hormones flowing, etc. So can we hold this against them? yes and no. Don't dislike them for their clothing style (baggy pants are very comfortable and functional), piercings, etc. --unless the pants are hanging off their asses and have lost their function. Do dislike them b/c they may be extremely obnoxious, inconsiderate, or hostile to hardbooters (even though they may will have no clue about our discipline).

I admire:

1. The guts it takes to hit some of these huge jumps. The possibility of pain, significant injury, or death (read Loon Mtn.) is definitely there, I think a bit more than carving. Being older doesn't heheh.

2. The perservarance (some would argue stupidity) a lot of them have to keep on falling (frequently hard) and keep going until they land the jump.

I can't stand:

1. The "I don't need to take a lesson" attitude even though a signifcant # of them (around here at least, I'm convinced) couldn't ride a moderate blue condidently or carve decently. Learn the fundamentals first.

2. The recklessness/ lack of courtesy some of these guys have. (we all make mistakes but some of these guys don't know what right of way is, etc).

3. Complete disregard for basic equipment maintenance some them have (waxing? nah, I never do that)

4. virtually no alpine coverage marketed within or industry or to public. I think we could take a lesson from the freestylers and be a little more vocal. lots of non riders know what a half pipe is, but "alpine snowboarding?" (hey, there's one of those skiboot plate board thingies) ;)

In college I used to hit some jumps and I admit, it was pretty damn fun. Most I didn't land, but landing them is a great feeling So I suspect that some in here are perhaps a little jealous of the air-obsessed youth, as their bodies can generally handle the "abuse" that frequently comes with honing freestyle skills---- much better than that of a 40 year old. We are the supposed speed freaks, and falling at speed isn't nice either. Still, falling at speed distributes the force more evenly than missing a jump, which sends all impact to a single impact (or 2). I will take a high speed wipeout over a high single point of impact wipeout (unless it's pow, etc.)

I once read that freeriding is the essence of this sport- and I agree (as it draws from all disciplines).

I admit I wouldn't even think of hitting some of those kickers, and most of the 'zines these days are just ridiculous, but if you really look at it objetively, I think it's hard to not be sorta stoked to see a rider hit a nice jump on a trail - or at least respect the ability/guts. Watching warren miller style big mountain riding is truly awesome, too.

But let's face it, most of us are older and wiser than they are, and don't have much in common with these kids. Try talking to the freestyler next to you on the lift though, you may be pleasantly surprised.

in closing,

performance > (free)style

ps hopefully I dont' offend too many with this, but can we get a poll on who still wears a one piece, high neons, etc. LOL? that is definitely worthy of a chuckle. Line up next to Mr. Camo Wearer.

---

Barry

Originally posted by Barry

...can we get a poll on who <i>still</i> wears a one piece, high neons, etc. LOL?

What do you mean by "still"? Get with the times, <a href="http://www.doco.net/one-piece/index.html">the wan-pisu is back</a>!

They have been super-popular over the last couple of years in Japan, and are usually worn by the young fashionable freestylers.

They're a lot baggier than the 70's version, and usually in fairly dark, earthy colours, but I have seen a few in bling-bling all-white.

I've seen a fair bit of aerial ballet on snowboards, as that's mostly the fashion here at the moment. FWIW skiers are actually rather better at it, and as someone alluded above, they have a bit more flexibility which helps with some of the contortions. Calling it "free"-something is kind of strange, but I guess the kids wouldn't feel so butch if they thought of it as what it is. How about synchronized aerial snowboard ballet for an olympic sport? Ok, you'd have to be on drugs too..

There's nothing at all wrong with the flat land stuff of course. Personally I'd like as many people as possible to do it, especially those who can't turn. Do I know or care about the boy-band-teen heart throbs who help brand the gear? No.