Note to New Members ×

Hardbooters in NYC

guesswho

Hey Everyone,

The purpose of this post is to try and find other hardbooters here in NYC. In a city with 8 million people there has got to be more than a handful of us. There just HAS to be! There is of course another likely scenario that there is a carve scene and Im just not familiar with it :P

I know the summer hasnt even started but I'd like to try and find some people before the cold comes rolling around in hopes of meeting up when it eventually does.

So, either way, Im going to introduce myself and I hope others from the NYC area (and a little beyond) will do the same!

Me: Adiel

I live in brooklyn and have been snowboarding for about 3 years. I drive but dont have a car so I usually end up taking bus trips from the ski shops to either Hunter or Windham. I try to get out once every other week or sometimes every week, depending on the state of my wallet :)

Your turn...

Guesswho (from the game ?),

There are a few bolers from NYC, they'll show up. I am about to leave the city this summer but I would offer the following suggestion as to where to carve this winter:

- one day trip: blue mountain, PA - if you are not bothered by repetition, it is the best carving terrain in the 2-3 hours range from the city. It has a slope called razor that is very good for carving. Windham would be number two in my view, with the double black called wolverine.

- If you can spend more than one day, go for the big east coast spots in Vermont, Maine and northern NY (stratton, sugarloaf, whiteface), not to forget Okemo where you have numerous decent carving slopes (fall line my favorite) and gate training thanks to patmoore.

cheers

julien

Hey guys,

Nice to meet you. I knew I wasnt alone. Its funny, Ive seen some of you post often elsewhere but kinda figured "they seem really experienced, theyre probably out west or further north" lol.

DjulezD - Thanks for the suggestions but Im no where near comfortable enough to carve on blacks or double blacks. I can ride them without too much trouble but carving on them... not quite yet. Ive pretty much carved alone with the exception of one or two days where I just happened to meet someone, so Im still learning. I can rail but usually end up scrubbing off speed by skidding after every couple carves.

Are you leaving the city for good, or just for the summer?

P.S. "guesswho" is just a screen name Ive had for years and just never bothered thinking of something better, lol.

What matters is having fun ! Blacks are usually less crowded, that's all. When icy, they can be very challenging. There were several threads on this topic on the forum with good advice on how to handle steep.

Check out the blue mountain thread in the PA ride forum, there are very good riders that hang out there and they organized a session this winter. The photos from it are awesome. I was so sory I could'nt make it.

Yeah I'm gonna miss all this !

Happy trails.

Welcome!

I'm not in NYC but I can hit the GW bridge in under an hour. Mtn. Creek NJ is home mtn for me as I'm 15 min to the lift. Windham is good, try Bellayre mtn some time - great snow, great grooming and nice terrain. +1 on Blue Mtn. Great little carving mtn.

Check out the blue mountain thread in the PA ride forum, there are very good riders that hang out there and they organized a session this winter.

Happy trails.

Im not sure what forum you mean. Does Blue Mountain have a forum that hardbooters have used to organize a gathering, or do you mean the PA section of BOL?

Nice to meet you Erik. I have some friends that ride Mtn Creek, but they ride normal softies. Ive been meaning to check it out as Ive never been. Bellayre too, but most of the bus trips are to hunter or windham so thats usually where I go. Maybe I can hitch a ride with my friends and meet you for a run or two at Mtn Creek. My friends are usually in the park, how is it for carving?

I live out in Long Island, (Huntington). I ride all the time and drive up to stratton 90% of the time. I'm always looking for new people to ride with. I've been on alpine for many years, but I don't care what level other people are, I just like riding with anyone! so i u wanna hook up and ride, I'm around. I am having a baby in August, so 30plus days of riding might not happen this year!:eplus2:

Thanks for the link DjulezD!

Hey Ear Dragger, I would be more than happy to split the price of gas with you! Ive been wanting to go to stratton for a while now. I live in Brooklyn, so Im not sure where I would meet you since you'd be coming from Huntington but Im sure we can work something out. It'd be great to have someone to carve with thats so easy going.

Congrats on the baby too!

Thanks for the link DjulezD!

Hey Ear Dragger, I would be more than happy to split the price of gas with you! Ive been wanting to go to stratton for a while now. I live in Brooklyn, so Im not sure where I would meet you since you'd be coming from Huntington but Im sure we can work something out. It'd be great to have someone to carve with thats so easy going.

Congrats on the baby too!

If you live in the County of Kings, change that Location in your profile to say so! :)

I'm a terrible carver, in soft boots, but I have car with a board rack and would be happy to get in on some ride sharing come next season.

Also if you're ever interested in carving some asphalt (longboard skating) in Prospect Park, let me know.

Hey Jetkin,

Thats pretty funny, I didnt actually realize Brooklyn was Kings county till I already moved and was at the DMV. The lady told me it was kings county and on the inside I was thinking "sweeeeeet" and felt a little cooler, lol

Yeah, Id be happy to lighten the terrible burden that is driving to the mountain by yourself :biggthump What part of brooklyn do you live in? Im in Bed-Stuy.

Im definitely up for some long boarding too. I usually do inline speed skating in prospect park so I havent gotten to know it very well on my long board just yet. Im definitely better on it than I am on snow, but that doesnt say much, lol.

Are you interested in someday moving to hardboots, or are you content staying in softboots? Either way is cool, just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am David

I been a long time lurker and let me take the opportunity and introduce myself. Hope to ski with the fellow NY ppl this coming winter.

Not exactly NYC; Wrong(Long) Island Stony Brook area.

I am sure you heard of Emilio: Used to take trip with them when I was in Nassau county.

http://www.emiliosskishop.com/Busstart.htm

I work for a ski shop that run trip in the winter. I am usualy on the mountain every weekend.

http://www.sundownski.com/

If at all possible plan ahead for ECES(EAST COAST EXPRESSION SESSION).

It's one of the best thing that I did for my hardboot riding.

If you are interesed in west coast trip/weekend trip a ski club is a great idea to save money and meet new people.

such as

http://www.ski-nyc.com/

I am member of ski klub international

http://www.geocities.com/skiklub/

The price is just scary low...

You need a referal to join so hit me up if you are interested.

--

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I'm also in NYC and would definitely be looking to hook up for some riding in the winter. Last season was my first season in hardboots and did mostly trips with Emilios and then a few long weekends in VT. Those 4 am wakeups are painful so I try to share costs for long weekend trips whenever possible. Also definitely planning on hitting ECES this year.

-----

- Lisa

• 2 months later...

I somehow missed this thread. I'm a hardbooter in NYC, another NYC hardbooter is przemek/brooklyn who rides (and teaches) at Windham, and is an accomplished rider to say the least. I am all about sharing rides to the mountain and not riding the Emilios bus, which is just not worth it in my eyes.

Thats great, It looks like there are a bunch of us that are willing to split the cost on gas. Ive been taking the emilios/blades bus trips as I usually have no other choice. I personally dont think theyre that bad but if I/we can save some money by splitting the cost of gas between a couple people thats even better! We definitely need to use the NY/NJ/PA ride board this winter and start a NYC crew.

Also, Ive been wondering about maybe taking a lesson, Im sure Ive got loads of bad habits that need to be nipped in the bud. Maybe I'll try and schedule a lesson with przemek.

Its getting colder out... low 60s tonight! WooHoo!!!

:-/ (too desperate?)

it's good to see quite a few other guys that live in the area. the weather has changed so fast, it's got me thinkin about the snow!! almost time to break out the tuning kit. I'll be happy to share a ride with anyone. I usually buy a season pass at stratton, but i might not this year. in which case i'll be down to ride other places.

Another NYC hardbooter checking in here. Glad to hear that there's lots more of us around town. I've been making trips up to VT on the Emilio buses over the past few seasons, and yea, the 4 AM wake ups are rough. Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of ya'll once snow season rolls around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just found these forums and am going to try to get going on a hardboot setup this winter -- I love carving on my softboot board and this looks like even more fun.

I live in Manhattan and I'm doing a ski house at Mt Snow this season. If anybody is looking for someone to ride with there, I'll be up many weekends and will be going for an hour or two on some Friday mornings before working remotely the rest of the day. I have a season pass.

One question - best local shop to get the gear? I'd prefer to get used equipment at first to keep the cost down.

Thanks,

- Steve

steve, best place for used gear is right here. Most of the people know and respect each other and are honest (like Family).

On the East Coast about the only game in town as far a new gear (or stuff you got to see touch or feel) goes is the Starting Gate @ Stratton. It's worth the drive, Good Luck.