Note to New Members ×

thoughts on board width

bobdea

I am going to have to put most of my eggs in Jenney’s basket in reference to his post “Stance angles VS board width”. Coming from a ski background and straight into hard boots and alpine boards I have never thought of “heel side / toe side” when making a turn. All I though about was turning left or right. Putting a board on edge for me is all about leverage, building angles with hips and knees, and trying to keep as much mass over the edge as possible. I ride fairly steep angles (70/70) and it seems to make the turn more symmetrical (left vs. right) and works for me. Other than body mechanics, which vary slightly from person to person, how you approach it mentally will make a difference as well. Sometimes describing something to one person one way will make a lot of sense and to convey the same thing to someone else, a completely different set of instructions will be needed to get the same point across.

Bob is right on the money - the most important thing is that your stance angles work for your body.

My only point is that the right advce for a newbie is to start with toes/heels as close to the edge as possible without hanging over, and to experiment from there. But Bob wasn't writing to the newbie.