Note to New Members ×

Trenchdigger softboot bindings?

Guest thomas_m

Guest thomas_m

Has there been any discussion about such an animal?

I'd buy a pair as well as a few extra board kits.

I tried the Catek's but (for me) they were just too fiddly for softboot usage. Given the inherent slop in even stiffer softboots, I didn't see the need for that much adjustability. However, the ability to make basic cant/tilt changes was very nice. I'd think the Trenchdigger system mated to a similarly crafted upper and Nidecker Carbon 900 straps and highbacks would be fantastic for those late afternoon crud sessions, powder or spring slush.

FWIW, I switched from the Catek Freerides to the Nidecker 900's but it would be sooo nice to be able to switch the uppers like we can with the Trenchdiggers.

Just thinking out loud waiting for November...

T.

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Just curious - are the Nidecker 900s and Catek Freerides pretty much alone at the top of the heap for stiff softboot setups? Any other comparable ones?

If I ever go soft again I'll be getting Flow's by far the most comfortable soft binding ever...and almost as easy as intecs to step into

Guest AlpentalRider

I just wish someone (hint, hint) would produce cant plates that fit various bindings. The current bindings offered today are great in terms of performance, they just need a canting option.

How hard can it be to produce a cant in small quantities to sell to snowboarders? I can't imagine it being a high cost to the manufacturer, and would be infinately more useful then some of the other small items being manufactured today.

My wife was having terrible pain on the outside edge of her front foot last season. I thought that maybe it was a result of poor alignment of her foot and lower leg. I stuck a Burton "Clamshell" cant (i think they were called UniCants?) under her front binding to give her a better platform. I put a riser under her back foot to compensate for the thickness of the cant in front.

She loves it, problem solved.

I know the UniCant has durability issues so when I stumbled on a couple at REI for $5 I snapped them up. She should be properly aligned for years to come.

Unfortunately the fixed cants that come with late model Burton plates don't work nearly as well. They are angled for a hardboot stance and softies at low angles aren't supported in the right place.

Mark