Note to New Members ×

Insert Location Difference: FC1 179 vs. WCRM 177

Dave Winters

In my experience, most of the manufacturers place their inserts such that the ride is optimized for their particular boards. The exception has been Madd where I've always felt the need to mount all the way forward (and test boards where part of the point of making test boards is to optimize binding placement)

I suggest starting out centered using your favorite stance width and no thinking about it too much - get used to the board a bit before messing with it.

The 179 FC has a centered sweet spot. The WCRM probably incorporates some of the offset and sidecut variations that is being used by a lot of racers and some rec carvers. This will result in a dramatic shift towards the tail. Mount the FC centered on the hole pattern. I would mount the Prior centered on the hole pattern too.

I'm mostly fan of "mount where manufacturar intended". However, on metal Priors it leads to chest forward and down position, racy style. I mount mine forward of the insert centres. The guy who I bought it from did the same. He is not the racer, but very very high end technical expert and snowboard pro.

Sean- Thanks...

You see the difference in the photo- fairly substantial, no?IMGP0302.jpg

The prior is substantially shorter than the donek. Look at the tips. The offset on the prior appears to be about the same as the difference in length. If you look at the tails, the widest portion of the priors tail seems to be closer to the ground as well. All of this compounds to produce the illusion that the priors inserts are much closer to the tail. If you were to lay the two on a bench and center the priors contact length with that of the Donek, I would guess you'll observe about a 1in (possibly 2in) offset to the tail.

mine (also a 177) are definitely more centered. perhaps a misdrill? quick & dirty ps:

wcrs.jpg

It would depend on the generation. If Dave's is newer, it is highly probable that the insert location has moved with the evolution of the shape. This is what's being discussed on the custom yourself thread and a few others.

It would depend on the generation. If Dave's is newer, it is highly probable that the insert location has moved with the evolution of the shape. This is what's being discussed on the custom yourself thread and a few others.

fwiw, mine is current construction (built 2 mos ago).

Dave, don't worry- it's not a misdrill. I too have a Prior metal and the inserts are indeed shifted toward the tail more than I'm used to. I rode it "centered on the inserts" (which is not possible because of the number of inserts. Any way you slice it, you're either forward or back of the center of the pack) for most of the season. Last three times out, I had shifted it more forward, by one set of holes. I thought it made a bit of a difference but not much. Maybe my front leg was a little less tired? I don't know.

Anyway, mount it, ride it, have a ball. It's a great board. :biggthump