Note to New Members ×

Madd update

moxie

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Was just wondering if he was adding any more stock topsheets. Someone last year had a sort of black and red tribal tatoo dealie on an AM 177 that looked pretty cool and the sort of thing that might have mass appeal. 'spose I could just email him.

I remember that board. definitely looked cool. so did the negative image of the flames someone did.

If you look at this thread you'll see that Bobby Buggs has a RaceCarve and bschurman has an AM with the tribal thing I'm talking about. As Bruce has done two, I'm hoping he might make it available as a stock sheet? That thread also has nice pics of the blue and orange flames sheets, better than on the website.

There's no reasonable explanation. There's no excuse. They've got a mailing list. An email takes about 30 seconds to send. Nobody is so busy that they can't take 30 seconds to send an email. It's not like they have to respond to everybody individually, even though that wouldn't exactly be a Herculean task, either.

I would normally agree, but here's a hypothetical reasonable explanation that is entirely possible:

These boards will retail for $800. We early birds are getting them for $500 (or was it $550? I forget.) I have actually built about a half dozen snowboards before and it is not out of the question that materials alone could approach $400, if they're truly using the best of everything. Factor in a few trips to the factory <i>in Italy</i>, and goodbye profit - we could be getting the boards at cost. All speculation of course, but if that's the case, then your purchase of a Madd snowboard is not a business transaction, it's a personal favor. When someone asks you to do them a favor, you don't suddenly owe them something.

Considering that, it wouldn't surprise me if all the Madd Snowboards email gets dumped into the "I'll get around to it" file. Sure It's annoying, but we don't really have the same "rights" to flex as consumers as if Madd = Burton. Sure it's common courtesy to respond, but it's too easy to <i>not</i> get upset about it two seasons early.

What if your buddy was an engine tuner and he told you he'd build you a 250hp Miata to race next summer and that he'd do it for the cost of parts. Would you get all bent if he didn't return your calls in the middle of winter? Sure, it's rude not to return calls or emails, but my point is, I wouldn't even be calling.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

What if your buddy was an engine tuner and he told you he'd build you a 250hp Miata to race next summer and that he'd do it for the cost of parts. Would you get all bent if he didn't return your calls in the middle of winter? Sure, it's rude not to return calls or emails, but my point is, I wouldn't even be calling.

Yes, I would. Because I'd be wanting something to race next summer and I'd be needing to know whether it was going to get done or whether I'd have to go elsewhere. Given the situation there or with Madd, I wouldn't get mad if there was going to be a delay. I'd even understand if it wasn't going to get done at all - these guys don't do this for a living. But I'd just like to know about it so that I could make alternate plans.

Yes, I would. Because I'd be wanting something to race next summer and I'd be needing to know whether it was going to get done or whether I'd have to go elsewhere.

I doubt anyone is going to be totally up the creek if they don't get their Madd in time.

I e-mailed Cheri this past week, inquiring about any further updates prior to the boards being finished and shipped. I received a reply, similar to Chris (aka Moxie), within a day or two.

When I sent the one e-mail (which was simply inquiring about the dececion on graphics) and got no response, I sort of forgot about it. But the anticipation/excitement wouldn't relent, so I reopened the top sheet thread. I hadn't heard what the verdict was on the graphics and wanted to know if anyone else had received some info, rumors, etc. BTW, some appreciation must go out to lonerider for initiating that and allowing us future Madd owners to be heard on the subject. And it sounds like they took our frustrations/input into consideration. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hey, it's summer time and it's probable that they were out of town, on vacation or something when I emailed them in August. Not attacking or defending the lack of response - just my suspicion. I'm confident that we'll get our Madds before any significant snowfall.

BTW, Madd Mikes website does sorta have a disclaimer under "Product and Price Info" "... if it's blowing or snowing, we may not answer."

From my interactions with Madd so far, e-mails and phone conversations with Cheri, I would say that they are very interested in retaining our business. Cheri has been very nice to work with. Does the communication need improvement? Yeah, kinda seems that way.

Bottom line folks, when we get our Madds and scribe out our first lines in the cord, I suspect we'll forget about this conversation altogther;)

I don't have much to do with this run of boards- what with my injuries and so forth...but I did see Mike a few days ago. He's busy installing web cameras....something has to pay the rent. lol.

Anyway from experience either we land boards by late September or we get pushed back from other construction orders for more profitable things as we compete for lamination time.

Historically we clear the decks through customs before X-mas. The worst ever delivery was in February- but I certainly would not expect that scenario....we had a factory flood that caused that. So far all the Flooding is in Florida.

________

Manufacturing Uk

Originally posted by John Gilmour

I don't have much to do with this run of boards- what with my injuries and so forth...but I did see Mike a few days ago. He's busy installing web cameras....something has to pay the rent. lol.

Anyway from experience either we land boards by late September or we get pushed back from other construction orders for more profitable things as we compete for lamination time.

Historically we clear the decks through customs before X-mas. The worst ever delivery was in February- but I certainly would not expect that scenario....we had a factory flood that caused that. So far all the Flooding is in Florida.

Hope you are healing well JG! Thanks for all the advice of Madd boards and longboard skateboards you've given me the past few months!

An interesting contrast to the current Madd crew, John manage to send me several email replies and even post on BOL twice, despite being in so much pain from his surgeries sometimes that is was painful for him to even sit up and type. I totally didn't expect him to reply back so quickly because of his injuries and travels, and yet he made the effort to get back to me when he could. Compare this to the "recent" Madd email activity that occured only after several complaints were made on BOL. You draw your own conclusions... you know my position, and Jack's position on the otherside is well explained as well.

Yes, I would. Because I'd be wanting something to race next summer and I'd be needing to know whether it was going to get done or whether I'd have to go elsewhere.

And another thing, I'm simply trusting that the boards will be done in time, so there's no need for me to check up on them.

Originally posted by John Gilmour

I hope it doesn't matter as to who from Madd replies. You guys better tear it up for me this winter....I'm sidelined until Argentina's season.

Hey John, I'd like to know what's the status with your injury and how you're healing so far. I know you got fubar, but sorta forgot what kind of injury it was and how you got it.

My broken tibula is healing ratherly nicely plus just got a couple of orders in from the race equipments plus a hold-up finance-sorting to get some of those bomber stuffs. (Kudos to Fin and Michelle for putting up with my money dough mess) I look forward to start racing, and as for you NASTAR posters, many thanks for posting your feedbacks/comments.

Off to Albuquerque Horse Race State Fair I go to. Gotta work and make ends meet, u know? Madd ain't that cheap, either alongside Bomber bindings and race equipments. I know for one that Im not complaining about the delay with Madd snowboard manufacturing since I am experienced with working in the snowboard industry (Lib Tech/Supernatural). Things doesn't always go the way they're supposed to or planned to. So either put up with it or chill out and smoke. The money for racing equipment's gotta go somewhere. Compulsive buyer? Nah. Compulsive gate bashing wanna-be olympian? Yep.

Knee3c.jpg

List of injuries

Right leg. Torn ACl (Partial- it's dead now), Torn PCL, Torn lateral meniscus , 4 inch fracture (fell off like a torn off balcony) tibia plateau fracture (most peoples fractures are like 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch), partial tear medial collateral ligament, shifted patella after surgery, crushed quadricep with calcification globs in it. Hip flexor sprain. basically out of the above drawing- only 3 structures did not sustain damage in my front knee.

On to the left leg.

Complete severing of the ACL, severing of the PCL, Lateral collateral ligament tear + sprain (really bad hurt for over 4 months instead of a few weeks- very unstable) http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_lacollig_sma.htm

Medial Meniscus tear, Crushed knee cap. Bone fracture to lower left tibia (But they never caught it with so much other stuff going on since I don't swell up- never casted- luckily it healed on its own. I couldn't even move my legs an inch without severe pain. A missed diagnosis bonus- broken 1,2,5, metarsals, crushed sesmoid bones in ball of foot.

Upper Body.

Left shoulder

labrum001.gif

labrum003.gif

Detachment of Labrum - First- this holds the shoulder in joint and deepens the socket of the ball socket joint. It also attaches to the rotator cuff and bicep. "The second function of the labrum is as an attachment of other structures or tissues around the joint. For example, the ligaments that help hold the joint together attach to the labrum in certain key locations. If there is an injury to the shoulder that tears the ligaments, sometimes the labrum is pulled off of the rim of the bone"

Lovely- that is what happened. When I hit the last tree and my shoulder was put behind my back I tore the Labrum, Rotator cuff, and also to my surprise discovered during surgery- ripped my bicep tendon . For you carvers out there- don't ride with your arms outstretched- you could end up like this....and BTW- try to avoid hitting a bunch of trees at 45mph.

The treatment is sometimes worse than the cure. I had a plate and (5) 4" long screws drilled into my tibia, they sewed up the Meniscus (But I feel the scarring) scoped out my patella to remove cartilidge and smooth out chrondromalicia. This was very painful- but the narcotics were flowing freely.

Dilaudid , the chapagne of Heroin, a morphine cousin was my savior. I survived without painkillers for 4 days prior to the surgery- but afterwards I had no choice. That surgery was done Feb 19th. I could not walk for 3 months. I had to use a wheelchair after that - then a walker- then crutches- and then learn to walk again with a lot of nerve damage to my legs.

The shoulder was done July 26th. shaved away the bone on my scapula, reattached the Labrum, sewed up the rotator cuff and pulled down the cuff in a Bankart Repair. The shaving of the bone in the scapula was very painful. It was done arthroscopically- though they thought they would have to open it up- he managed to keep it all inside.

What's left? They will drill holes in my left knee cap to help induce healing of the crushed area. The left leg also needs the ACL reattached- likely I'll do a hamstring graft where they harvest the tendon to make a ligament and drill through your knee. I probably won't bother to repair the right foot at this point. I may have to wait to reattach the ACl from the right leg. I won't bother to repair the PCL since prognosis from that is uncertain.

THE results so far?

The tibia healed perfectly- even though it was one of the worst they have seen. Fracture Surgeon I had was a genius (For real). The Meniscus and ligaments around the knee suffered significant scarring reducing my flexion. I have trouble with the last 15 degrees. I atrophied completely in my right leg (It was the size of my arm). I have patellal tracking issues now- which I am trying to fix. (I'm not as impressed with the knee surgeon). I can not run yet, but can walk without a limp for short distances.

The left leg- nothing has been done- but it has stabilized somewhat and is less painful- except the Medial ligament still hurts when moving laterally.

The right shoulder is almost perfect after 7 weeks post op. My shoulder surgeon is amazing- he has now repaired both shoulders. I have full confidence that it will return being stronger than new like the other one did. Almost no scarring internally either.

I'm out for snowboarding this season, out for the World skateboard racing championships.

I don't know how stable my knees will be on the slopes. it is possible that things will feel fine on the lift, but when I Actually try to ride and exert flexed lateral forces on my knees I will be unable to and will have to get a sled down. It is possible that I may not be able to ride again- mostly not because of the fractures- but damage to so many ligaments that stabilize the knee laterally. Should I be able to ride- I think some Colorado groomers would be the best physical therapy- mentally and physically. I went riding with Troy Smart, who has several knee issues similar to mine, to teach him alpine last year. Though he was able to do it well, he had to quit after 3-4 runs due to knee pain. I know many ride with knee damage as I have done for the past 7 years, but this time, it might be too painful to deal with.

I certainly would have to start riding on perfect cord at first, any jarring motion would likely send me back to the drawing board.

I spoke to Cheri last night- the boards are due to be shipped soon.

________

Class Action Lawfirm

I was riding a teleboard. You can push these things into turns a lot like skiis- going into a very high speed olympic downhill turn whilst skidding and then the board hooks up- as opposed to the average Alpine snowboard which can Hop and chop when overloaded.

I was having fun- after only 3 days with only 12,000 vertical feet on the tele board I took 4th in the world championships that morning. A few guys saw me ride it two days earlier. I can ride that teleboard and flex it like its never been flexed before- unfortunately it turned the hammer against me.

Well I was doing about 40-45mph- much faster than I have ever dared go on this particular trail- essentially no turns at all until this point 1/2 way down. I did a massive heelside into a huge extended laydown at speed toeside. I had done this run earlier in the day, yet this time missed seeing a bump in flat light, unset the edge and went sailing backwards through the air towards the trees. I managed to hook the snow with the tip of the board- spin around just in time to take two parallel trees across BOTH knee caps and the sides of both knees (outside side of left knee, inside side of right knee ). I was diagonally flying through the air when I hit the trees.

My knees bent backwards/sideways and snapped.

As I thought I would break my back if I continued the wrap around the trees- so I twisted during the blow.

Bounced off the two trees and my knees were useless now, and then hit another tree while flying almost upside down at 30mph with my left shoulder.

IF they had been big mature trees with thick layers of bark- I could have Spread the impact somewhat like hitting a flat wall- but instead they were about 6-7 inches in diameter- instead of hitting a flat wall it was like hitting the corner of a cinderblock- I felt all my tissues cleave.

The sound of the impact resonated and was a huge WHOOOOMMMMP! followed by another. I couldn't hear anything for a few seconds.

I wasn't wearing a helmet. If I had hit my head I would have cut the helmet in two. I was lucky not to snap my spine.

I managed to get out of my bindings- which were holding me in an intolerably painful position. Dragged my body by my right arm grabbing weeds and sticks to get back onto the trail so I wouldn't pass out in the woods.

I managed to keep conscious. I was able to wiggle my toes so I knew I wasn't paralyzed. So I was pretty calm. I knew I had an excellent shoulder surgeon and wasn't worried about that- though my knees troubled me.

I was wearing a huge Rector Fat Boy vert skating knee pad on my lead knee. RTFBK.jpg

You see these x-games guys bail in the Half pipe from 15 feet out onto their knees with no problem. This was enough force to split my tibia right through all that padding. I figured without it my knee would be in a million pieces.

Evel Knievel doesn't have anything on me- I stay conscious- he goes into comas.

I've seen other people during my rehab with much more minor tibia plateau fractures- none of them are walking well at all. I'm very lucky.

I was taken by ambulance to a hospital I didn't like- I had myself transfered by ambulance to another with my familiar trama team who have treated me successfully before. I did not get my knee surgeon of choice though for the first operation.

Hot nurses? ZERO.

________

Oxygen Vaporizer

it is it's a stock topsheet

when my board was finished, Bruce contacted me and told me that he had this new topsheet, attached a pic of it and offered to put either the Blue Flames I originally wanted on the board, or this new one.. either way the board came that week

Keep hope JG! Human bodies can do ridiculous recoveries. I had a bad Tib/Fib last year and had to have a metal rod put in, but after working on my legs non-stop for just 4 months. I could walk no problem, and after 9 months now, the leg I broke is stronger than the one I didn't, and just as agile.

Take it easy and dont push boarding too early, and you'll be trench-diggin hard again I hope! :)

Originally posted by CarvCanada

it is it's a stock topsheet

when my board was finished, Bruce contacted me and told me that he had this new topsheet, attached a pic of it and offered to put either the Blue Flames I originally wanted on the board, or this new one.. either way the board came that week

Keep hope JG! Human bodies can do ridiculous recoveries. I had a bad Tib/Fib last year and had to have a metal rod put in, but after working on my legs non-stop for just 4 months. I could walk no problem, and after 9 months now, the leg I broke is stronger than the one I didn't, and just as agile.

Take it easy and dont push boarding too early, and you'll be trench-diggin hard again I hope! :)

Are you the same h.s. kid that broke his tib/fib as I did too ?